Help Lighten My Daypack

TX_Diver

WKR
Did a week elk hunting last week and after getting home I weighed my pack to find out that I'm carrying about 23-24lbs each day which seems like a lot for a day hunt.

I am typically base camped and driving or hiking out from there. Archery elk hunting so usually warm weather. Some days I'd return to the truck for lunch, other days I'd be out all day (I'll add a sandwich to the pack usually too) Obviously the biggest weight is water as I'm carrying 4L. I drink about 6L each day just sitting at my desk/walking around the construction site each day though and I have run out on half day hunts before so I don't particularly want to cut a bunch of water out and have to count on being able to filter it.

I weighed everything on a kitchen scale yesterday except the pack, and the Kuiu puffy and Mid layer. Often I'm wearing the mid layer. The website weights are probably for size L so I added 1oz to each. The pack weight is off the exo website and includes a hip pouch.

I have cut back quite a bit from previous years but still want to be able to spend the night out if needed (alive, not necessarily comfortably).

Posting this while everything is relatively fresh in my mind to see what some outside looking in type opinions are. Cheers.

hqXZSZgh.jpg

The below adds up to 14.3lbs. I figure on 9lbs of water based on 4L split between a 2L bladder and two 1L soft bottles. That puts a total weight at ~24lbs.

ItemDescriptionOz
Weight before water
229.28​
PackExo K3 4800
89.2​
Bugle TubePhelps unleashed
11.8​
Trekking PolesS&S
13.05​
Seat PadThermarest Z Seat
2.8​
BalaclavaSitka
2.12​
SnacksTrail mix and bar
11.24​
Headlamp
GPS
Fenix HL60
Inreach Explorer +
7.5​
Neck Gaiter
1.09​
TP & Hand Sanitizer
2.79​
PuffyKuiu
8.9​
Mid LayerKuiu Peloton 240
13.4​
Game Bagsx5TAG 24x44
19.12​
Extra ReleaseSilverback
2.93​
Gloves
3.2​
Rain PantKuiu Teton
6.74​
Rain JacketKuiu Teton
9.45​
Kill Kit
7.47​
Tag
Extra CallDiaphragm
Survey flagging~20'
paracord~20'
nitrile gloves3 pairs
Extra KnifeOutdoor Edge EDC
Extra Blade
Fixed BladeIW K1
First Aid
10.55​
Bic lighter
compass
1 roll gauze
1 elastic bandage
Water purification tabs
safety pins
tweezers
moleskin
matches
duct tape
gloves 1x
triangle bandage
misc gauze pads
misc small bandaids
whistle
space blanket
zip tie x3
alcohol pad
triple antibiotic
insect bite
advil/acetaminophen, etc.single servings
pen

Last edited:

Bärenjäger

Lil-Rokslider
That's a big pack for day trip. Maybe get a smaller/lighter bag.

With pack out abilities for a successful hunt of course...

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Ucsdryder

WKR
What are you hunting? Lots of unnecessary stuff in there. My daypack is a kill kit, first aid kit, gps, phone, game bags, pbj, and a couple granola bars. Sometimes a hammock if I’m out all day for an afternoon nap. An extra release?

dtrkyman

WKR
I would consider pounding a bunch of water before leaving in the morning to hydrate, then you can cut a little, I have a life straw in my day pack many times for back up where water is available.

I only carry my trekking poles if I am packed in for multiple days or have some really sketchy terrain. I rarely need to carry rain gear, of course this depends on location.

I also usually only carry a large hip pack for day trips, keeps extras to a minimum.

OP
T

TX_Diver

WKR
Few updates based on initial comments/questions.

Hunting archery elk.

I did not have the GPS listed so I just updated the list as I do carry one.

I drink as much water as I can prior to leaving the truck and cut back the coffee a bit on hunts to usually. I don't drink alcohol in the evenings for the same reason.

Extra release is because I'm using a handheld release and I'd hate to hike out to get a replacement (although it's an option)

Most days are 4-8 miles of hiking based on what I did last week.

Ditching trekking poles is a possibility. I only used them on the pack out and even then it was just one as I was carrying my bow (packing out someone elses elk).

Rain gear falls into the peace of mind category (outer layer to cut wind if spending the night) but I could look for a poncho or something as another option to always have in the pack and only carry this rain gear when rain is actually forecast. Open to suggestions here.

Argali has a set of game bags that cuts 4 oz over the TAG bags. ~$70.

I could get a smaller pack but I do want the 1 pack does all thing for other trips where I'm not day hunting and this pack was a good deal used so there's some cost ramifications to switching.

Phaseolus

WKR
I’d ditch the trekking poles while hunting and cut the number of game bags down to just enough to carry out the first load. A water filter is a great way to cut down on weight too, assuming that you have water sources you could utilize during the day.

Few updates based on initial comments/questions.

Hunting archery elk.

I did not have the GPS listed so I just updated the list as I do carry one.

I drink as much water as I can prior to leaving the truck and cut back the coffee a bit on hunts to usually. I don't drink alcohol in the evenings for the same reason.

Extra release is because I'm using a handheld release and I'd hate to hike out to get a replacement (although it's an option)

Most days are 4-8 miles of hiking based on what I did last week.

Ditching trekking poles is a possibility. I only used them on the pack out and even then it was just one as I was carrying my bow (packing out someone elses elk).

Rain gear falls into the peace of mind category (outer layer to cut wind if spending the night) but I could look for a poncho or something as another option to always have in the pack and only carry this rain gear when rain is actually forecast. Open to suggestions here.

Argali has a set of game bags that cuts 4 oz over the TAG bags. ~$70.

I could get a smaller pack but I do want the 1 pack does all thing for other trips where I'm not day hunting and this pack was a good deal used so there's some cost ramifications to switching.

Unless you have no access to water while hunting I would cut that in half possibly 3/4. That’s the heaviest and easiest thing to cut. Bring a steripen or squeeze filter. It’s weighs far less than all the water.

I don’t even own rain paints. Since I am only hunting during the bow season it rarely rains enough with temps cold enough to be an issue and if it’s raining that hard I probably wouldn’t be leaving camp and if caught out in it I would use my contractors bag for my legs and wear my jacket and find shelter until it lightens up and then I am back hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d ditch the trekking poles while hunting and cut the number of game bags down to just enough to carry out the first load. A water filter is a great way to cut down on weight too, assuming that you have water sources you could utilize during the day.

How would you keep flies/bees/birds from attacking the meat, without all the necessary game bags?

OP- my pack for 3 days weighs just a touch more than your daypack, so there must be ways to cut that down a lot.

Depending on the availability of water in your hunting area, I'd suggest reconsidering your stance on treating water in the field. You could drop 4 lbs by cutting the volume of water in your pack from 4L to 2L, adding an MSR Trailshot (5 oz) and Aquamira drops (3 oz) to your kit, and taking a midday break to refill on water. Chemical purification only (iodine, chlorine dioxide) or a Steripen would be even lighter if you're comfortable with drinking unfiltered water.

Whisky

WKR
First, I'd buy the K3 1800 bag for day hunts.
Then I'd ditch the trek poles, rain gear (dependent on forecast), seat pad, GPS (only if you have phone and OnX), and balaclava (isn't a neck gaiter basically the same thing?)
Then, I'd cut down on water weight and/or utilize a light purification option.

What you have is pretty close to what I pack.

You should only need 4 of those game bags for an elk so ditch 1 or ditch 2 and replace them with 2 smaller ones that handle scraps and boned out meat better.

Leave the rain gear unless there's a good chance of rain.

Trekking poles could be left or you could just take 1. I always carry both mine but am re-evaluating leaving one behind. Have had a couple instances where partners have messed up a knee and having both poles was sure helpful. That first load of meat out always seems toughest after a day of hunting and butchering too so poles are nice.

Beyond that the 1800 bag would shave 12 ounces but there isn't much else I would leave behind. Your water needs are what is smoking you. That said, if I'm chasing elk up top i'd much rather carry an extra liter of water than worry about being thirsty or having to abandon a plan or drop a bunch of elevation just for water.

Last edited:

BluMtn

WKR
Don't know what area you are hunting, but in my areas I would not cut back on water because it is a longways down to water and a longways back up. I see some small stuff you could unload but I am a person who plans for everything and having been on S&R for many years and seeing what some people carry or don't carry, I am not going to be one of those people. I never was a boy scout, but I like their motto. "Always be prepared"

Jn78

Lil-Rokslider
In the end, if you are only putting in 4-8 miles a day, unless you are in some real hell holes, you are close to the truck so you can go a bit thin on some stuff.

Seems like the first aid kit could be scaled back, but my view on a first aid kit, especially for a day hunt is, I am not bringing stuff that will make me more comfortable. I am only concerned with stuff that will get me out of a really bad spot. (Mine is actually probably heavier than yours, but i carry a couple of big items that could come in handy if things got ugly - tourniquet and quick clot.) I don't bring Band-Aids, triple antibiotic, gauze, elastic wrap, insect bite, ibuprofen, ect. Even if you disagree with this approach on the First Aid kit, you have hand sanitizer, so you don't need alcohol pads. You have gloves in your kill kit, so you don't need them in your first aid kit. You are taking duct tape, you don't need band aids.

If it is warm and somewhat dry or cold and dry, the rain pants are going to be in my truck. Maybe the rain jacket too. (If there is snow on the ground and it is warm enough to make it sloppy, I might bring the rain pants because it sucks to breakdown an animal in wet snow, especially solo.) I hear you on the peace of mind that having rain gear gives you, but you are staying close to your truck. You mentioned wanting it in case you slept out - I cannot imagine sleeping on the side of a hill, out in the open, with no food, with my truck an hour away.

Your headlamp is nice, but it is very heavy. My primary headlamp and my backup headlamp together are a couple of ounces lighter.

Balaclava and neck gaiter seem redundant and if any of your other layers has a hood, they both may be redundant.

On a day hunt, I would probably only take one knife.

Switching from the inreach to the mini saves you a few ounces.

My phone is my GPS.

Porterka

FNG
I think you really have to look at what you are okay with leaving behind. I’m at ~34lbs in or on my pack for a 4 day September elk hunt away from the truck but I have spent a lot of time evaluating what I can live without.

On a September elk hunt in the Rockies for a day hunt I would ditch:
1/2 the water and bring a filter.
Spare release
Rain bottoms
Balaclava
Seat pad
Replaceable blade knife (if your fixed blade is made of high quality steel)
Puffy
Gloves (decide at the truck if you need them in the morning)

Most Everytying else I would run on a day hunt but you really have to decide what you are okay with not packing if you are 1-3 hours of hiking away from you rig. If you don’t have peace of mind about your gear you will have a hard time being focused. My day hunt gear list changes much more then say a 3-6 day backpack hunt, but that is based upon location and time of year more then anything.

Location of the hunt plays a big part for me on day hunts.

Opah

WKR
start with the necessities, think about a bladder for Water. Then you just have the but what if this happens stuff, and if it hasn't happened in the last couple years dump it.
For the knife I recommend:
1601420848428.png

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I carry 3-4L of water every day in my pack and........first aid kit, kill kit with game bags, knife, Havalon, GPS, extra calls, flagging tape, two headlamps, camera, flashlight, compass, and it all comes in around 15-16lbs.

CMF

WKR
Everyone has said most of what I was thinking, cut water if possible, shave down first aid, and drop the extra release, and rain pants depending.
I'm running boned out game bags off ebay and are roughly 8 oz for 4 of them, but I'm thinking of carrying half the bags and only one extra blade(OE)to cut down my kill kit weight. I figure I'll off the hinds and gut it(depending on how long it takes to get back) and pack out, come back for the rest with more bags, blades and tarp.
This year I had planned to cut back to one trek pole, but ended up adding it back due to the steep terrain we hunted and early snow in CO, so I'd say it's area dependent, but if its daylight my bow is in hand.

The one thing I don't see mentioned is your pack lid, Me and the wife run the exo 4800 and we haven't run the lids on them yet, can save you 5 oz.

OP
T

TX_Diver

WKR
Some good feedback so far.

I think I'll switch to a 3L bladder and then throw in a frozen .5L bottle with my sandwich (wrapped in the puffy to keep cold til lunch). That cuts 1lb right off the bat.

I'm not in love with the headlamp ergonomics/ functionality (do love the brightness/battery though) and would definitely consider something a little lighter.

Pulling out the duct tape from the first aid kit is a good idea as is pulling the gloves. Last year I went through and pulled out most of the duplicates (i.e. it came with 10 servings of advil but I only kept 1 in it and put the rest in a bag at home or in the truck). Zip ties are handy (more for the kill kit actually) but are a bit redundant with the paracord.

I could shrink the hand sanitizer bottle that's with the TP (think it's a 2oz bottle but they make like 1/2oz bottles too).

Balaclava is a bit redundant. I don't always carry it but had actually forgotten it in there after a cold morning. It is nice when you sit into an evening and it gets cold but obviously I'd have an idea if that was expected each morning.

Each game bag is 4 oz so pulling one out might be good too. I could always pack that extra one back up with the 2nd load. and put 2 front quarters in 1 bag for a bit.

Rain gear I've gone back and forth on. When the forecast is good though I think I'll just bring an emergency poncho instead.

Trekking poles could probably stay at the truck until the 2nd load.

Those changes would net me approximately 3lbs which isn't bad (~12% reduction in weight).

Good points to consider on planning to be able to spend the night vs walking out when I'm an hour or two from the truck. The only time I wouldn't walk out is if I weren't able (but most of those situations would bring the inreach into play), or if I had an animal down and didn't want to head out (seems to be a rare occasion for me though :) )