Help me build a rifle!!!

Rockchuck

WKR
Hello All,

I wanted to get a thread started on a potential build I would like to do.

I want to put together a mountain hunting rifle that is easier to pack and wield than my current 11 lb setup while keeping weight down and setting it up for future use of a suppressor. I have been looking at 7mm options as that is what I have the most experience with, but open to other calibers too.

i am a lefty and am thinking a 20 inch barrel so I don't get too long with future suppressor use and I want to run hammers out of it to get away from lead in my meat. I am thinking of carbon fiber stock like ag composites or mcmillian edge fill along the lines of a game scout style stock. I dont have a preference on internal, bdl, style, or detachable bottom metal, but think it is an area i can save weight on.

I have been looking at several actions, but like the looks and price of the bighorn origin and like the idea of being able to use shouldered pre-fit barrels I can assemble myself. I have assembled AR's and built up hot rod muzzle loaders and re-barreled savages, but want to build something nicer than a savage.

My max range would max range on elk would be 800 for me with some rock/steel shooting beyond that for fun/practice.

I am looking to keep the build cost (not counting the suppressor or optics, etc) somewhere in the $2000-3000 range and try to hit a bare rifle weight in the 6 to 7 lb range. I have a Bushnell lrhs 4.5-18 I will be topping it with once done. i figure it will put me in the 8 to 9 lb range scoped weight.

So here are my questions:

1. Is my weight goal realistic in that budget range? I know Ti action can save a decent amount of weight but at additional cost I am trying to avoid.

2. In a 7mm based cartridge, Is a 20 inch barrel capable of sending the hammers fast enough to perform reliably on elk to 800 yards? If not are there other calibers that are capable in the 20" barrel i should consider? I am open to standard cartridges or wildcats, but like the simple approach on a wildcat along the lines of fire forming only like the sherman max lineup for general ease of prep and first foray into a wildcat.

3. With future plans for a suppressor and considering the weight goal, does a carbon wrapped barrel present the best blend of weight savings/enough meat on the bone to have it threaded for a suppressor vs a light contoured steel barrel?

Any ideas, experiences, advice, or questions are most welcome.

Thanks!

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
22" barrel and a 7SS (sherman short) will allow you to run a short action, but has similar ballistics to a 280 AI and brass now available. would definitely do carbon wrapped if your looking to save weight.

AceRifles

FNG
22" 6.5 PRC or 7 SAUM. Carbon Barrel, and a carbon stock from someone. We use Manners. We use Bighorn Origins for all of our rifle packages. Just did that a setup in 6.5 Creedmoor with a 24" barrel and Mesa Precision Arms stock and came in at 6 pounds 10 ounces.

AceRifles

FNG
For me a DBM is a must. I dont like to shave weight their. They just function much better when using a short mag. Using a short action vs long action caliber will save some weight. Short action ammo usually weighs less also which is an area that people dont often look at. But some people want to shave every ounce possible so its worth bringing up.

Bighorn Origin is a good action, no issues at all with it. Run that along with my "summit" carbon contour, 7 Sherman short, AG composites alpine hunter or the new Ibex stock from benchmark. 22" barrel and a BDL floor plate will run you under 7 lbs with that setup. You're going to be in the $3500-$4000 range with most builders for that package.

Or you could pick up a used/new tikka, run the same barrel/stock/factory bottom metal and my new upcoming tikka Mag with 3.4" COAL capability on a 7 WSM at 22" and gain some speed over the Sherman Short and be under $3000 for sure and still at or under 7 lbs.

Mike

Totoro

WKR
To shed some weight a Ti action is nice but at a cost. Maybe another option is to source an older Remington Ti donor action the accurize according but again, to what cost?

Using a short vs long action shaves some ounces too.

Myself, I would go 7WSM with a 180 ELDM or 180 Berger. Another is 300WSM with 200.20x Berger or 212 ELDX. A shorter barrel will handicap MV a bit but also save ounces.

As for a can, I dont see an application unless multiple target engagement (ie hogs) but to each their own.

I like a carbon barrel for weight goals.

Dont forget optic.

Bear in mind, for most, a light overall gun maybe nice to carry but harder to steady unless well practiced.

Best to your search!

I’d repurpose a tikka action and put a carbon barrel on it. That is my future plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fonkie

Lil-Rokslider
I agree on the tikka action & carbon barrel. My plans are for Mike @ HC build me a 7 Sherman max on my tikka 7 RM to shoot 180 bergers or 177 Hammers at well over 3000 fps. If you don’t already own a Tikka to build on it bumps your cost up closer to a custom action although you get a great trigger included with the Tikka. Good luck with whatever you decide to build.

Bighorn Origin is a good action, no issues at all with it. Run that along with my "summit" carbon contour, 7 Sherman short, AG composites alpine hunter or the new Ibex stock from benchmark. 22" barrel and a BDL floor plate will run you under 7 lbs with that setup. You're going to be in the $3500-$4000 range with most builders for that package.

Or you could pick up a used/new tikka, run the same barrel/stock/factory bottom metal and my new upcoming tikka Mag with 3.4" COAL capability on a 7 WSM at 22" and gain some speed over the Sherman Short and be under $3000 for sure and still at or under 7 lbs.

Mike

Mike, haven’t heard of these ibex stocks, is there a link anywhere to them?

Mike, haven’t heard of these ibex stocks, is there a link anywhere to them?

Nothing on the web yet but they are legit!
Most ergonomically friendly grip I’ve used.
fbd1429d93b167f2279865ad3cab720b.jpg

Recent 300HCA build using one. Top of recoil pad is even with action centerline (zero muzzle flip), high comb, perfect palm relief and vertical grip.... 31-32 oz after bedding.
599dca4fbbad0dc2a233ff0b41f0d666.jpg

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Rockchuck

Rockchuck

WKR
Thanks to all for your replies. It sounds like carbon wrapped is a good way to go along with a tikka action. I have owned a tkka before and did enjoy it. Probably the only rifle I ever regretted selling actually.

Fonkie mentioned the setup I was leaning toward most in the 7mm sherman max running 177 hammers.

That Ibex does look like a sweet stock too!

Fonkie

Lil-Rokslider
Hmmmmm🤔 that ibex stock is interesting & I already have the AG stock picked out I want for my tikka build!🤨

Good luck with your build idea, sounds like we are on a similar path with everything but barrel length.:love:

WKR
Once rifle is done, the lightweight TB UL7 suppressor is quite nice. May want to buy sooner than later due to wait time and who knows what with .gov.