Help me build a sheep rifle!

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
Received a new barrel for the sheep rifle.
Patriot Valley Arms, Osprey Prefit.

6 Creedmooor, 7 twist.
20”, Sendero Light Profile.

I debated between 3B & Sendero Light and ultimately went with the heavier contour for solid suppressor lock up and a bit more weight for long range precision.
The barrel weighs 3 lbs 3 oz.
Total weight in this configuration is 8 lbs 3 oz.

Will be shooting Hornady 108 ELD-M.

IMG_0498.jpeg

gtriple

WKR
Received a new barrel for the sheep rifle.
Patriot Valley Arms, Osprey Prefit.

6 Creedmooor, 7 twist.
20”, Sendero Light Profile.

I debated between 3B & Sendero Light and ultimately went with the heavier contour for solid suppressor lock up and a bit more weight for long range precision.
The barrel weighs 3 lbs 3 oz.
Total weight in this configuration is 8 lbs 3 oz.

Will be shooting Hornady 108 ELD-M.

View attachment 631838
Are you able to swap the barrel without removing the action from the chassis?

gtriple

WKR
No, but it’s two action screws and it slides right out without removing the fore end on the HNT 26. Simple. I have 65 in. lb. Fix It Sticks and could do it anywhere.
I use a Viper Barrel vise & a Defiance Action wrench.
Hmmm... what's the barrel length? I didn't think I'd be able to do that with my Tikka HNT26 but now I need to try.

gtriple

WKR
Do you swap barreled actions out? Or are you taking the action off and swapping the barrel?

Dirtriding4life

Lil-Rokslider
That barrel is beautiful. I’m looking at the PVA prefits in the same chambering/ barrel length right now and have been afraid their 3b contour would be even heavier than yours ended up being. How many flutes did you order?

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
Do you swap barreled actions out? Or are you taking the action off and swapping the barrel?
Only have one action right now. Though there is going to be a prototype lightweight action coming my way from a company soon, which is exciting. REM 700 footprint, so will drop into the same HNT26.
The PVA is 20” and fits just fine without removing the fore end.

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
That barrel is beautiful. I’m looking at the PVA prefits in the same chambering/ barrel length right now and have been afraid their 3b contour would be even heavier than yours ended up being. How many flutes did you order?
I originally ordered 3B, which is slightly smaller than this Sendero Light. I was a little worried about having enough shoulder for the suppressor, so I upped the build to this one.
I’m not 100 percent sure this is the 6CM barrel I want to keep. Let me know if you’re interested in this one. Here is the full build and cost. It’s unfired still.

Last edited:
OP
B_Reynolds_AK
Rokstock thread and discussion regarding negative comb and buttstock above bore line got me experimenting. The MDT Vertical Adjustment Buttpad fits nicely on here I have not shot it yet, but can already tell that when shooting prone, or on steep angles, this will allow a better shooting position and improved recoil management. Only problem is that it’s quite heavy. Will probably only use for long range shooting and practice. IMG_0908.jpeg

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
The PVA 20” 6 CM barrel was cerakoted matte black recently. I also picked up this Arca mount for the Garmin C1 Chrono off of Amazon for $19.95. Works fantastic on the HNT 26.

In this long range setup with the ATACR, adjustable buttpad, Scythe-Ti suppressor and a 5 round magazine, it weighs 9 lbs 15 oz.

IMG_1146.jpegIMG_1147.jpegIMG_1148.jpeg

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
For those curious about the Arca rail for the Garmin.
View attachment 661113
I was cruising through the garmin zero group on Facebook and one guy brought up the point that electronics mounted on rifles (night vision) have a recoil rating and that these garmins are not designed to handle recoil. Have you looked into that at all? I’d hate to break the thing and Covid my warranty by mounting it to my gun.

Also, what made you want to mount it to your gun? Just convenience when out practicing in the mountains or were there other reasons? I know the tripod on these things is sort of flimsy but so far, I’ve had mine out 5-6 times and had no issues just sitting into the bench or on the ground when I was shooting prone. I guess for other shooting positions it would be nice to have it on the gun but again, I don’t see using it much once I know what a particular load is doing.

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
I was cruising through the garmin zero group on Facebook and one guy brought up the point that electronics mounted on rifles (night vision) have a recoil rating and that these garmins are not designed to handle recoil. Have you looked into that at all? I’d hate to break the thing and Covid my warranty by mounting it to my gun.

Also, what made you want to mount it to your gun? Just convenience when out practicing in the mountains or were there other reasons? I know the tripod on these things is sort of flimsy but so far, I’ve had mine out 5-6 times and had no issues just sitting into the bench or on the ground when I was shooting prone. I guess for other shooting positions it would be nice to have it on the gun but again, I don’t see using it much once I know what a particular load is doing.

I’ll be load developing for the 6 CM while the gun is in its heavy setup. There will be minimal recoil compared to most rifles.
I set it up that way for exactly what you described, practicing in the mountains in various positions while still recording shots. It’s only attached with a screw knob clamp on the Arca, so very easy to remove. It’s not necessary and I wouldn’t have tried it out if it wasn’t just $19.95.