Help me build my elk arrow. Pinwheel?

I’ve tried in every way to get pinwheel on one of my three devices including a laptop. I have a Mathews halon 32 5” BH, 27” draw length set right around 73 pounds. I’m trying to stay in the 450 range for arrow weight with 13-15% foc. As of now I’m thinking Easton axis with 50 grains insert, 100 grain head, standard nock, and 3 or 4 fletched vanes weighing around 5.5 -6 grains per vane.

Can someone run this in their program so I will know what spine I need and what length I need to cut the arrows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gold Tip Velocity Hunter at 27.65" looks good. Save pic and enlarge to double check numbers. FOC is 14.89%.

37237306_10216439168112844_223957698100592640_o.jpg

Last edited:

desertcj

WKR
I dont have pinwheel anymore but I'd be looking at Black Eagle Carnivore 300, Rampage 300 or Easton Bloodline 330s or Hexx 330 depending on your price range and if you like axis size .204 ID arrows.

OP
ddavis_1313
Easton X10 at 27.65" looks good. Save pic and enlarge to double check numbers.

37347219_10216439123791736_637306372869849088_o.jpg

Man, looks great but those are well out of my price range for hunting.... not even familiar with those in a compound.

Btaylor

WKR
340 axis or 330 hexx cut to 26" with the 50 brass insert and vanes should fly fine out of that bow. That's not from pinwheel, just what I have seen out of my buddy's matthews with same specs. He is shooting axis.

oldgoat

WKR
Download Archers Advantage or go to goldtip, they have an arrow builder program. With Archers Advantage you can plug in the arrow you have and it will give you a comprehensive list of arrows to choose from.

OP
ddavis_1313
Download Archers Advantage or go to goldtip, they have an arrow builder program. With Archers Advantage you can plug in the arrow you have and it will give you a comprehensive list of arrows to choose from.

How does archers advantage compare to pinwheel?

Brendan

WKR
If you paid for it, personally I'd get OT2 / SFAX working (Pinwheel). I've used it successfully on both a Mac and a PC without issues, and has a lot of flexibility.

oldgoat

WKR
How does archers advantage compare to pinwheel?

It'll load! I know I tried On Target and think I tried Pinwheel but it's been a while, Archers Advantage was more intuitive from what I remember and with the exception of the Archers Advantage phone app, it's a one time charge. I know On Target has a subscription fee, not sure about pinwheel.

Brendan

WKR
It'll load! I know I tried On Target and think I tried Pinwheel but it's been a while, Archers Advantage was more intuitive from what I remember and with the exception of the Archers Advantage phone app, it's a one time charge. I know On Target has a subscription fee, not sure about pinwheel.

Pinwheel software is the company. OnTarget2 Software for Archers is the product. They are not different:

Pinwheel Software - Software For Archers, Tapes And Charts, Shaft Selector

I personally didn't like Archers Advantage, but didn't use it extensively. It also doesn't work on a Mac and the online version wasn't really comparable to the desktop versions.

OnTarget2 does not have a subscription fee. You pay $7.50 for a database update that includes new bows / arrows / sights / etc. if you want to / need to. (Initial purchase I think includes a year of free updates)

Last edited:

oldgoat

WKR

That would explain why I had such a vague memory of Pinwheel, knew I remembered pinwheel and had an interaction with it, but couldn't remember jack about it but remembered using the On Target, lol!

340 axis or 330 hexx cut to 26" with the 50 brass insert and vanes should fly fine out of that bow. That's not from pinwheel, just what I have seen out of my buddy's matthews with same specs. He is shooting axis.

Dead wrong. Ran those numbers cuz I shoot a 27" DL and Axis 340s but with his bow he'd be underspined.

2blade

WKR
OT2 says a 27" 300 spined axis with the 50gr insert and 100gr head would work well. Total weight 466grs and 13.28 foc.

desertcj

WKR
Personally, I would not use Axis. Too heavy gpi and unless you go super heavy, you end up with a weak foc arrow. The foc is another topic I suppose. I hunt deer with 16% foc arrows currently and I wouldn't recommend going lower for elk. I'd be looking for about 20% foc and I will be on my next set of arrows.

OP
ddavis_1313
Personally, I would not use Axis. Too heavy gpi and unless you go super heavy, you end up with a weak foc arrow. The foc is another topic I suppose. I hunt deer with 16% foc arrows currently and I wouldn't recommend going lower for elk. I'd be looking for about 20% foc and I will be on my next set of arrows.

I get what your saying, and if I had a 29” dl I’d be happy with 20%. I have a short dl. That’s why I bought a 5” bh bow. But it would be a waste to me to take a 1000 dollar bow and shoot the same speed if not slower than my 2 year old bow that was 900 bucks. I’ve listens to a lot of pod casts with guys that kill elk every year in multiple states that shoot 14% foc and are killing elk between 15-75 yards with the same arrow.

I guess what I’m saying is I’m trying to find middle ground between foc and speed. Too much of one and I’m lobbing arrows. Too much of another and they don’t penetrate very well. And I’d rather not lob an arrow at 60 yards if I’m draw back and the bull takes 3-4 steps away after I’ve drawn. Could mean brisket shot instead of double lung.

desertcj

WKR
You can kill stuff with 14% foc, sure! I'm just saying that if your starting from scratch, dont limit yourself. Your statement about middle ground between foc and speed is exactly why I would not use axis shafts! Find a lighter gpi 300 spine shaft and you can have BOTH 20% foc and as much speed as your bow will allow. Halon 5 is pretty fast if I remember correctly.

OP
ddavis_1313
You can kill stuff with 14% foc, sure! I'm just saying that if your starting from scratch, dont limit yourself. Your statement about middle ground between foc and speed is exactly why I would not use axis shafts! Find a lighter gpi 300 spine shaft and you can have BOTH 20% foc and as much speed as your bow will allow. Halon 5 is pretty fast if I remember correctly.

I’m open to that. What shafts have liter gpi and are as durable?

desertcj

WKR
I’m open to t300ss. What shafts have liter gpi and are as durable?

Hold on, that's the magic arrow. Axis are durable because they are heavy. How durable do you expect your arrows to be?

Edit: By using Black Eagle Carnivore 300s, you could save almost 60 grains in weight and improve your foc. If you like those .204 ID arrows, you could use Black Eagle Rampage 300s and still save 54 grains. See what I'm saying?

Last edited:

Btaylor

WKR
Dead wrong. Ran those numbers cuz I shoot a 27" DL and Axis 340s but with his bow he'd be underspined.

Dead wrong huh? Well I guess I should tell him he will never get those arrows to fly right and the pile of stuff he has killed with em may still get away.