Help me catch this rat!

OP

3forks

WKR
Well, I broke out the 110 conibear.

I set the trap where it looks like the rat is going under a fence rail to get into the garden.

My wife’s heirloom tomatoes have been a favorite food of this rat. If we lose one more, she’s going to make me sleep in the garden until I catch this SOB or winter sets in.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Cluster Grenades. Disclamer, may take more than one and structural damage is possible. Actually likely.

Beendare

WKR
I was hooked on that one Youtube channel where the guy tries all sorts of traps for mice and rats.

Seems he makes a good living from his millions of YouTube subscribers.

The only luck I've had with trapping rats is to set out the traps baited but not set. Then once they start eating it, I set it and BAM.

_

Billogna

Lil-Rokslider
No matter what method you use, keep your scent off the traps/bait placement. We always wear latex gloves anytime we are targeting rats/mice. Rats are extremely smart and cagey, not to mention an other-worldly sense of smell. You might try baiting traps but don't set them to trigger until they are committing to the bait regularly. Rats/mice have a sweet tooth. If peanut butter alone isn't getting them to commit, add a little jelly or even better yet, chocolate to your bait placement. Good luck!!

shader112

Lil-Rokslider
I know you said you were avoiding poison, but that is probably the easiest and most effective way to kill it. I recently bought a 10lb tub of Golden Marlin to take care of some skunks and coons getting under my deck. Mixed it with beer, sugar, and peanut butter on a paper plate. First night 2 skunks and 2 coons. Second night 1 skunk and 0 coon. Third night 1 skunk. Nothing the next 2 and decided they were all gone. I probably only used a half pound total.

If you pay shipping I'd be happy to send you an envelope of it. I have more than I can use

OP

3forks

WKR
Update: No rat fell victim to the conibear last night. Unreal…

Since I’ve been thwarted at every attempt to outwit and catch this bastard, I may as well just take the day off of work and really figure this out.

I’ll get some old school Victors to place along what I believe the rat uses for a travel corridor.

I’m also going to dig a pit trap in the garden (think 6 feet will be deep enough?), and place punji sticks in the bottom of it.This pit trap is going to suck because it means I’ll have to tell my wife and toddler to stay out of the garden and will have water the plants myself.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I use to put a 1/4 full bucket of water under the area of a chair that had wing arms. the mice/rats would sense the water and jump in off the chair but not out. I couldn't possible get them all, but, I got a lot.

WRM

WKR
Don't forget to smear the punjis with some dookie. Need that sepsis backup for a tough VC rat like this.

There always has to be one, no matter what. Good luck!

WRM

WKR
How long since your sighting? Always possible it is a different (and currently much smaller) nemesis who you may be overgunning with your trap setup.

Easy. Buy a #0 long spring...file the dog to square it up...file the pan notch down.
Play with it to get a hair firing.
You might need to bend the dog arm to get the pan level.
I'm sure there are youtube videos for setting rat traps...do a search.

Then set the trap in front of the burrow.

You will have the rat in the morning.

WRM

WKR
Assuming you can find a burrow. Where I live, I've messed about with them for 50+ years and have yet to find a "burrow". They just find a convenient building to squat in.

Btaylor

WKR
When you get tired of screwing around with them silly traps and decide it's time to kill that little bassturd, get 3-4 cell cams and figure out his timing and travel. That will tell you where and when you best odds of sniping his azz are. Aim small, miss small.