Help me choose 10x42 Bins

Felton

WKR
I have decided to purchase a set of bins 10x42 and set my budget at $1000. Now I just found a swaro slc 10x42 for $1350. So I’m willing to step up to get the slc but should I? Swarovski is probably the only bin I’d go over budget for. The other two optics I am eyeing is kowa genesis prominar xd for $1000 and zeiss conquest hd for $870.

I am on the east coast, the bins will be used for deer hunting locally, spotting and identifying ducks and to hunt elk when we head west to Montana or Colorado.

Let’s hear it, what’s your thoughts!?!

Last edited:

Cuahitl

FNG
I have the kowa genesis 10.5x44 and just got the swaro el 10x42. The swaro is lighter and slightly brighter the moving parts are smoother. But neck to neck as far as picture clarity. Your mileage may vary of course.

I think the Kowa or slc

The slc is a great hunting bino, can get a bino stud for them, lightweight kick ass bino

I think the kowa genesis beats the slc by a little in optical quality, but not threaded for tripod stud, and they are a bigger heavier bino in comparison

Not a fan of the conquest for their price, even though cheaper, I think they aren’t in the same league with the other two

If it were me, I would accept the extra weight with the kowa because I think you make up for it in image quality across the board, and the options to mount binos without a stud on a tripod is no longer an issue with the various products out there now… depends on what is more important to you, and how worth the more or less money is

Don’t think you will be disappointed with SLCs. Most folks don’t regret Swaros. SLC prices have fallen recently and present a pretty good value for top tier glass. You would have to spend quite a bit more to beat em.

TN VOL

FNG
You can get the conquests often for $750 (new open/demo) from eurooptics. They are great glass. I’ve used them side by side with Kowa and I prefer the colors of the Zeiss. I don’t think the SCLs are $600 better.

Gone4Days

WKR
If you ever want to sell Swaro’s you’ll get you money back. Very high used value and demand.

Hoodie

WKR
At $1K my top three (depending on what you value) are:

Maven B series- Really good all around performers. I've had most models at one point or another and prefer the B1.2 and B6 to the B2. The B2 is nice, but not worth the extra weight IMO.

Nikon Monarch HG- If weight is a big factor, you want a huge FOV, you like rich color saturation, and CA isn't a huge turnoff.

Meopta Meostar HD - If you hate chromatic abberation, and weight is not a big factor.

I haven't tried the Genesis (eye relief is too tight for glasses), but have heard good things. I also haven't tried the Conquest, which is also well reviewed. I wouldn't recommend the Razor HD at that price point.

452b264

Lil-Rokslider
If the SLCs are not the newer HDs you are better of with the new Zeiss 10x42 HD. The older slc are over priced

I have Kowa 10.5X44 Gennys. Two buddies have SLCs and wish they had bought the Kowas. A third friend has ELs. They're amazing glass and he's very happy with them. I really like them, as well. But we'll switch off once in awhile, and he's stated that he could have saved a lot of money and been just as happy.

I'm primarily an eastern (New England) whitetail hunter, like yourself, and I find the 10X42 size optics to be too much for the thick woods. I don't hunt ag fields. I bought a pair of 8X33 Genesis a couple years ago and found them much more useful back east. I now use the 10.5X44s on the tripod when I'm out West, and 8X33s in a chest pack for offhand.

Both are spectacular optics. Truth be told, if I could have just one, I'd opt for the 8X33s (no matter who makes them) for their handier size and wider FOV

I went through this just recently. If you haven’t already check out Backwoods Pursuit, they did a good review of a couple of binos at different price range and Allbinos has a ranking of all the 10x42s. With that said I’ve looked through almost all of the major binos except the Kowas and I’d opt for the used SLCs if they are the HDs or used Vortex UHDs, if not then the Zeiss Conquest.

Backwoods Pursuit

AllBinos

I have Kowa 10.5X44 Gennys. Two buddies have SLCs and wish they had bought the Kowas. A third friend has ELs. They're amazing glass and he's very happy with them. I really like them, as well. But we'll switch off once in awhile, and he's stated that he could have saved a lot of money and been just as happy.

I'm primarily an eastern (New England) whitetail hunter, like yourself, and I find the 10X42 size optics to be too much for the thick woods. I don't hunt ag fields. I bought a pair of 8X33 Genesis a couple years ago and found them much more useful back east. I now use the 10.5X44s on the tripod when I'm out West, and 8X33s in a chest pack for offhand.

Both are spectacular optics. Truth be told, if I could have just one, I'd opt for the 8X33s (no matter who makes them) for their handier size and wider FOV
That's what I've done. Conquest HD's in 8x32 get all my work now. Even for western hunts.

I have SLCs for a few years. Very happy with them. Easy to sale if I decide to switch for NLs.
I have not looked at the other glass you mentioned for comparison. Personally I don't think that matters. I believe it's imperative to look through the glass. Your eyes will tell you which one is best for you.

Specs help but again looking through the glass is reveling. I've looked through different glass, with the same FOV, but one stands out as looking more open if that make sense. One may look more bright. You make like the color contrast in one versus the other.

FWIW

aidan_downey

Lil-Rokslider
Kowas all day. You can find them on a steal at cameraland with their open box rates. I compared them to my buddies SLCs side by side. I liked my kowas in every way over the SLCs except for the size and weight. Other than that I thought the Kowas were just as good optically and build quality, and had better clarity and brightness. But the Swaros are good too. You'll be happy with either.

OP
Felton

Felton

WKR
Well it looks like I shouldn’t have slept on the Swarovski’s they are gone. They were new old stock. Not the latest generation but one back.

Idk if y’all are helping or not lol. I really get the feeling whatever I pick I am going to be happy with.

What should I consider a steal on the Kowas? I figured $300 off a $1300 bins was pretty dang good.

I have a Steiner 8x30 I believe they are one step up from the predator. So I’m good there. At least for the moment.

Last edited:
Optics Planet is showing Kowa Genesis 8X33 for $799!

Genesis 10.5X44 for $999.

That's the best price I've seen on them. If either of these are a serious consideration, I wouldn't wait for a better price.

Last edited:

Matt G.

WKR
If hunting whitetails predominantly in thicker stuff, I would probably opt for an 8x.

I found a good deal on the 8.5x42 ELs and switched to them from the Meopta Meostar 10x42. I would also recommend the Maven B1.1 as an option due to size weight and great FOV. I thought about the Kowa Genesis but the weight/size was more then the Meostars and meostars were probably my limit for weight. If I was a dedicated western hunter (wish I was) I could probably justify the size and weight but I mostly whitetail hunt in the timber.