Help me choose 10x42 Bins

OP
Felton

Felton

WKR
ED5788C5-9A2F-45C1-B011-B965AF8EB6B5.pngLooks like optics planet had a (while supplies last) sale on Kowa today.
I went to add it to my cart and it went back up to regular price.

UpTop

Lil-Rokslider
That’s the problem (if there is one) with the SLC’s. It’s going to be hard to find new/unused ones. They’d be more than the Kowas and used. I’d opt for the kowas any day knowing I’m getting equal, if not superior, optics that are brand new from a company that definitely holds their own firmly in the upper end market.

Huntin Fool

Lil-Rokslider
I know the glass won’t be on par with what some of he others have mentioned, but have you thought about the Vortex fury’s, can get them new for real close to your budget and having the rangefinder built in is awesome, not too mention it’s extremely accurate in a ton of different conditions. I use them for archery hunting, rifle hunting and predator hunting

Well it looks like I shouldn’t have slept on the Swarovski’s they are gone. They were new old stock. Not the latest generation but one back.

Idk if y’all are helping or not lol. I really get the feeling whatever I pick I am going to be happy with.

What should I consider a steal on the Kowas? I figured $300 off a $1300 bins was pretty dang good.

I have a Steiner 8x30 I believe they are one step up from the predator. So I’m good there. At least for the moment.
If you put my Conquest HD 8x32's side by side with your Steiners, you'd list your Steiners for sale by the end of the day.

JGRaider

WKR
It's all so subjective that a guy needs to look at as many sets of binos as possible to make a decision. I had my Tract Toric's in Africa one year, and amongst the several sets of binos there was a Conquest HD. Great glass, focus was waaaay too fast, and the eyecups sucked (blackouts, kidney bean effect). The much too short eyecup problem was so well known, a few years ago Zeiss would send Conquest owners an extended eyecup for free. That being said, myself and everyone present felt the Toric's were at least the equal of, or better optically anyway.

Be patient on the used market. You can get SLC 10's cheaper than that. Last year I bought a pair of WB's for a grand on here.

OP
Felton

Felton

WKR
If you put my Conquest HD 8x32's side by side with your Steiners, you'd list your Steiners for sale by the end of the day.
While I don’t doubt how good the conquests are my Steiners serve their purpose for tight brush hunting.

It's all so subjective that a guy needs to look at as many sets of binos as possible to make a decision. I had my Tract Toric's in Africa one year, and amongst the several sets of binos there was a Conquest HD. Great glass, focus was waaaay too fast, and the eyecups sucked (blackouts, kidney bean effect). The much too short eyecup problem was so well known, a few years ago Zeiss would send Conquest owners an extended eyecup for free. That being said, myself and everyone present felt the Toric's were at least the equal of, or better optically anyway.
I have a strong suspicion that the Toric HD's and Conquest HD's are actually the same binocular but with different rubber armor and eyecups. They both come out of the same plant in Japan.

Xlr8n

Lil-Rokslider
Like any glass brand and model, there's a few people that may not love the Conquests, but by and large the general consensus on most forums is they are still near the top of the sub alpha glass options as they have been for many years now. In addition there are many shiny new options. The Torics are great as are the Mavens and the Monarch HG's, but the Conquests are still right there as are the Meostars.

From my experience, especially in the X 32 size the Zeiss are hard to beat and the eye placement issues are pretty much nil in my personal use. In real world hunting the fast focus is one of the highlights of them.

That being said, at this moment there are demos available of the Tract Toric first gen (non Schott) and latest gen (Schott glass) in 10x42 for $450 and $520 respectively. For that price you simply won't find any better glass and it's half of your budget. I'd jump on them. They won't last long.

OP
Felton

Felton

WKR
Can you give me the run down on tract toric, I’ve never heard of them. Or send a link that I can read about them.

I found them on BBR…

Last edited:

Xlr8n

Lil-Rokslider
Can you give me the run down on tract toric, I’ve never heard of them. Or send a link that I can read about them.

I found them on BBR…
A couple guys that worked for Nikon for years decided to do their own thing and they only sell direct to consumer. Quality made in Japan optics with no frills. They are very competitive with binos at the $1000-1200 mark

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
A different approach and thought… Ditch your range finder and get yourself a pair of Meopta Optika LRs in 10x42. I’m in love with mine.

OP
Felton

Felton

WKR
I’ve thought about doing that, I’m not crazy about the idea.

JGRaider

WKR
A different approach and thought… Ditch your range finder and get yourself a pair of Meopta Optika LRs in 10x42. I’m in love with mine.
I've really been wondering about these particular units. Glass quality? RF capability? I love Meopta products.

Xlr8n

Lil-Rokslider
If you are marginally interested in trying the Torics, even their demos have a 30 day no questions return policy. You can try them out for the price of shipping.

ors

FNG
Get a like new EL. you may find some deal here. I have two ELs. they are amazing!

Highlands Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
There are two pairs of Leica Ultravid HD Plus in the classifieds for around the $1500-$1650. Excellent glass, on par with ELs with better color and contrast.

Last edited:
OP
Felton

Felton

WKR
I’d love to get those… Id feel bad making on offer as he’s already cut the price a lot.

jjjones7

FNG
I was in the exact same boat a couple years ago and read every review and looked through nearly every set of binos from the $900 range up to the SLC’s. I tried to talk myself out of them several times but kept going back to the Nikon HG’s. I’ve been really happy with them and everyone I’ve let look through them comes away surprised/impressed