Help me choose a 1000 yard hunting/target scope

section8mainiac

Lil-Rokslider
I am looking to stretch out my 300 win mag. It shoots 1/2 moa with hand loads using 200 grain Nosler Accubonds. 12" steel at1000 yards would me my goal! (maybe a pipe dream)

My current scope is a Zeiss HD5 3-15x50 with the RZ800 reticle, but I would like to get into a target turret for elevation and dial up to 1000 yards while having some kind of reticle with hold over marks for a quick shot as well. I am thinking a capped windage turret would be best, but feel free to chime in on that as well. MOA

I'm upgrading to a sig 2400 abs rangefinder as well as my current one left me hanging in CO this year.

I would like to stay under $1500 but would like to be closer to $1000.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks, Matt

crich

WKR
I dont have a lot of experience with other high end scopes but fwiw just bought a 3-15 VX5HD to accomplish pretty much exactly what you're doing. Its on a hunting rifle that doubles as a long range target rifle. So far Im super happy. Well under 1k if you shop around and amazing glass. Only complaint is that the turret is a little mushy. You'll hear a bunch about tracking regarding the older models. Mine shoots true... Box test verified.

You need about 10 mils in your turret, or about a 20 mil total range. (Recommend a 20 MOA base)

Try to find a 4-16 or 3-18.

I don't have much experience with other high-end scopes, but I recently purchased a 3-15 VX5HD to perform very much the same thing you're doing. It's mounted to a hunting rifle that also serves as a long-range target for Practice. So far, I'm quite pleased. If you search about, you can get a great glass for under $1000. The turret is a touch squishy, which is my only concern. When it comes to older models, you'll hear a lot about tracking. Mine is accurate... The box test was successful.

antlerz

Lil-Rokslider
Sightron sIII 6-24 if your serious about 1000yds, want to dial, and dont want a mortgage.

Already a number of very good options listed here. But just let me say ”ringing steel“ at 1000yards or more is one thing, but please refrain from being tempted to take those kind of shots on game. Been in far too many hunting camps in recent years with folks touting their long-range shooting prowess, only to witness them very often miss or wound game at ranges much closer than 1k. Shooting a live animal is very different from ringing steel.

antlerz

Lil-Rokslider
Already a number of very good options listed here. But just let me say ”ringing steel“ at 1000yards or more is one thing, but please refrain from being tempted to take those kind of shots on game. Been in far too many hunting camps in recent years with folks touting their long-range shooting prowess, only to witness them very often miss or wound game at ranges much closer than 1k. Shooting a live animal is very different from ringing steel.
Totally agree. So many variables in a shot in the field vs at the range. Chances of a well placed shot LR field shot are much lower and its not fair on the animal. Practice lots at LR so you can accurately place shots at normal hunting distances.

eric1115

WKR
I am looking to stretch out my 300 win mag. It shoots 1/2 moa with hand loads using 200 grain Nosler Accubonds. 12" steel at1000 yards would me my goal! (maybe a pipe dream)

My current scope is a Zeiss HD5 3-15x50 with the RZ800 reticle, but I would like to get into a target turret for elevation and dial up to 1000 yards while having some kind of reticle with hold over marks for a quick shot as well. I am thinking a capped windage turret would be best, but feel free to chime in on that as well. MOA

I'm upgrading to a sig 2400 abs rangefinder as well as my current one left me hanging in CO this year.

Thanks, Matt
A used Bushnell LRHS would fit those criteria nicely. Under $1k by a fair bit, available in MOA (albeit only in the 4.5-18 version), good enough glass, and very accurate and robust internals.

BjornF16

WKR

Thanks, Matt
Did you already buy a scope?

Donkey Puncher and Eric have you covered!...NF SHV or Bushnell LRHS.