Help me choose a bow

Goolahg

Lil-Rokslider
My budget is $1000 dollars all in.

I'd like to hunt elk someday. I'm using it mainly for white tail in the North East. I will be putting in for Moose in the North East as well. Bear is a possiblity as well.

I don't want to offend anyone. I've only ever hunting with a crossbow and the majority of the time I stalk and sit. I hate treestands but I'll get in them if I feel I have to.

OP
G

Goolahg

Lil-Rokslider
I will say I have experience with target shooting with recurves and I have fired a compound before. I'm looking for something that isn't going to kill me weight wise if I have to hike 5 or 10 miles in with it.

wayoh22

WKR
$1000 just for a bare bow? Or accessories included?

Best thing to do would be to go to your local shop and try out all the bows you can.

Rob5589

WKR
Best bow for you isn't the same as for me in all likelihood. Get to your local shop and shoot all you can. Don't be afraid to make a day of it if you don't have anything local. 1000.00 all in will get you a great bow and set up.

OP
G

Goolahg

Lil-Rokslider
All in, 1000 for everything.

Are bows really that unique to an individual though? I guess I'm trying to not get ripped off or purchase frilly features that nobody really cares about.

Is weight a big deal? Should I go find the lightest bow I can that will take down a moose?

I find I can shoot well with any rifle, pistol, or crossbow I'm given. My groups are always tight. For me, its really a question of which brands to stay away from.

Best thing you can do is go try a few different brands and models to see which one fits you best. Most brands are pretty solid if they are still on the market.

I'd get what the best local shop around has. That's because bow brands tune a little different and you will need someone who understands whichever bow you get.

Keep in mind the best shop might not be the biggest or flashiest. It's going to be the one that has a bowtech that can listen to you and your needs and set you up correctly, unfortunately this can require trial and error. Might be post an area you are close to and someone can point you in the direction of a good pro shop.

wayoh22

WKR

Are bows really that unique to an individual though? I guess I'm trying to not get ripped off or purchase frilly features that nobody really cares about.

Is weight a big deal? Should I go find the lightest bow I can that will take down a moose?

I find I can shoot well with any rifle, pistol, or crossbow I'm given. My groups are always tight. For me, its really a question of which brands to stay away from.
I can't even think of a "frilly feature" off any bow I've ever tried. You'll get what you pay for. Sure you don't need the newest top of the line bow but it would behoove you to spend the time to get it right.

Weight is a big deal to some. Some people have an easier time with the lightest stuff out there and some people like having some weight in their hand. It's not about finding the lightest bow. It's about finding the RIGHT bow for YOU.

And I'll just mention that even if your groups are tight with a rifle, pistol, and/or crossbow that it won't be comparable to a compound bow. It's just a different animal with a lot more variables.

I really like the prime centergy. However they may not carry it at your shop. I think you should buy a bow from your local shop that they can tune and work on. Not many people talk about Bear bows anymore but I think they are a pretty good bow for the money. 60 lbs and good sharp broadhead should be able to kill anything out there.

Rob5589

WKR
Absolutely. Draw cycle can be significantly different based on draw length. The feel of the grip is a big one; narrow, flat, wide, curved, etc. Overall length can affect how the bow holds, how the string lays on your face, distance from peep, etc.
You can get a great shooting bow on a budget. No need for a top tier bow. Get a good bow, great sight, good quiver, great arrows.
Good luck man! Lots of good ones out there.

Zac

WKR
Some general guidelines:
Do not get a shorter ATA than your draw length.
If you hunt late season with puffy jackets or clothing do not get a brace height under 6 inches.
Buy a bow from the shop you intend on using for service.
Get a poundage you can draw straight back.

All new bows come out in November so I would wait to buy anything until then. You may see something new you like or you can pick up 2020 model for a good discount.

chasewild

WKR
Absolutely. Draw cycle can be significantly different based on draw length. The feel of the grip is a big one; narrow, flat, wide, curved, etc. Overall length can affect how the bow holds, how the string lays on your face, distance from peep, etc.
You can get a great shooting bow on a budget. No need for a top tier bow. Get a good bow, great sight, good quiver, great arrows.
Good luck man! Lots of good ones out there.

This.

I bought a Mathews Traverse last year after my Elite blew up (my fault). I shot it straight for 8 months and could not get it to group.

Sold it, rebuilt my elite and god da*n does that things group well for me. So, no, not all bows are alike.

I'll give a vote for Bowtech's setups... I helped a buddy get into a new bow this year complete setup for under 1K. I believe it was the convergence.

Hoot

WKR
Some general guidelines:
Do not get a shorter ATA than your draw length.
If you hunt late season with puffy jackets or clothing do not get a brace height under 6 inches.
Buy a bow from the shop you intend on using for service.
Get a poundage you can draw straight back.

All new bows come out in November so I would wait to buy anything until then. You may see something new you like or you can pick up 2020 model for a good discount.
This, but remember that this year with Covid that will likely change. Hoyt has already pushed their release into Jan. I plan on buying a 2020 model once the 2021's hit the shops...

Reactions: Zac
This, but remember that this year with Covid that will likely change. Hoyt has already pushed their release into Jan. I plan on buying a 2020 model once the 2021's hit the shops...

Just fyi for anyone who cares.

Mathews is releasing on November 17.

Two flagship hunting models, a long draw with switchweight, and a new women's bow.

So 4 new to be released along with the two target models released earlier.

I don't know about any others, I assume several will be delayed with release.

Jimbob

WKR
My old bow was carbon and lightweight, shot inconsistent for me. My new bow is heavy and I have heavy stabilizers on it but I shoot it great. I backpack hunt for Mountain goats and sheep, packing in a long way and stay for extended hunts. I count every ounce but a bow that shoots really well is worth the weight to me. I'll carry an extra pound or two if it extends my effective range.

My old bow was carbon and lightweight, shot inconsistent for me. My new bow is heavy and I have heavy stabilizers on it but I shoot it great. I backpack hunt for Mountain goats and sheep, packing in a long way and stay for extended hunts. I count every ounce but a bow that shoots really well is worth the weight to me. I'll carry an extra pound or two if it extends my effective range.

Have you watched the deflection of that Carbon riser in a bow press?

After paying attention to the riser deflection, it started to make sense why I had horizontal broadhead problems.

Every riser deflects a little in a press. What I was seeing seemed extreme.

Jimbob

WKR
Have you watched the deflection of that Carbon riser in a bow press?

After paying attention to the riser deflection, it started to make sense why I had horizontal broadhead problems.

Every riser deflects a little in a press. What I was seeing seemed extreme.

I never checked for that but that Carbon Spyder Turbo did not work for me. I worked really hard and it still; wouldn't shoot as good as my older bow. Sold it and bought a new bow and bam instant change in my accuracy.

I never checked for that but that Carbon Spyder Turbo did not work for me. I worked really hard and it still; wouldn't shoot as good as my older bow. Sold it and bought a new bow and bam instant change in my accuracy.

Yeah.

Similar experience.

Not meant as a knock on a brand, just a material.