Help me choose a pair of Sitka pants

rm06

WKR
Sorry to clutter the works here with yet another "which pant" thread but as usual I'm having difficulty making a decision.

I was one of the lucky few to draw for CO G17 and I have an opportunity to splurge on a new pair of pants. I have been up scouting a couple of times this summer and the temps have been around 65* and below and at 12k + elevation, you're either getting chilly in the shade or roasting in the sun. I anticipate it will be a touch cooler in a month when the season begins.

I have tried on the Ascent, Apex, Traverse and Mountain pants, they all fit me the same. I'm leaning Mountain but I think the Ascent is viable with long underwear. Camo pants are NOT my jam which leaves out the Apex and Traverse - I just don't dig em. It seems like the Mountain pant are more durable and have better wind and water resistance at the cost of weight and breathability.

I'm interested to hear from the Sitka experts on this one

loopmtz

Lil-Rokslider
G17 I love that area, killed my goat there in 2013. As far as pants both are great. Ascent much lighter and much more breathable for me, thus don't get so hot. Still extremely durable and seem to be my go to pants as of late. At that elevation the mountain pants do tend to break the wind better. With either way you can't go wrong.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have timberlines and mountain pants, both are ok but the mountain pant is probably a better all around pant. Maybe it’s just me but they seem sort of loud. I’ve been interested in the ascent but never had my hands on them.

OP
rm06

rm06

WKR
G17 I love that area, killed my goat there in 2013. As far as pants both are great. Ascent much lighter and much more breathable for me, thus don't get so hot. Still extremely durable and seem to be my go to pants as of late. At that elevation the mountain pants do tend to break the wind better. With either way you can't go wrong.

I love it as well, helped a buddy there when he drew a bighorn tag S66 and then G3 a few years back. We even attempted archery in 48 a couple of times, that was some difficult work. BTW, that looks like a sweet pronghorn buck in your avatar. I have a PM inbound to you as well

I don't do a ton of cold weather hunting, occasionally a 2nd or 3rd season elk rifle season but mostly archery elk and deer and then rifle pronghorn.

I have worn the Ascent pants early season the last 2 years. I will not wear anything else early season. They are durable and breath real well.

As it gets later in September I transition to a guide type pant. They block the wind better which I enjoy in the high country later season.