Help me choose bullet for Mule Deer and Elk

I’ve narrowed my 7MM mag hunting bullet choice down to Trophy bonded tip and Barnes TSX Both in 160 grain. Both federal premium factory.

Both group well and hit the same to 500 yards out of my Tikka. Wondering which one I should carry this fall for mule deer elk.

Jim1187

Lil-Rokslider
I will be the odd man out and actually respond based on the information in the OP's post. I'd prefer the Trophy bonded tip ever so slightly. I doubt either would disappoint if you do your part. I know either all copper or highly frangible match type bullets are currently popular, but the trophy bonded tipped will probably provide very good service on elk up close and expand a little better on mule deer or a longer shot beyond 300 yards as you implied with the 500 yard limit.
I only say probably because my experience with it is smaller than Accubonds or Partitions 2 moose and 3 black bears I was on hand to witness and 1 whitetail myself for the trophy bonded tipped all the 160 from a 7mm Rem Mag. No complaints, but I'm going back to my old standbys.

OP
Bezamaelee
I will be the odd man out and actually respond based on the information in the OP's post. I'd prefer the Trophy bonded tip ever so slightly. I doubt either would disappoint if you do your part. I know either all copper or highly frangible match type bullets are currently popular, but the trophy bonded tipped will probably provide very good service on elk up close and expand a little better on mule deer or a longer shot beyond 300 yards as you implied with the 500 yard limit.
I only say probably because my experience with it is smaller than Accubonds or Partitions 2 moose and 3 black bears I was on hand to witness and 1 whitetail myself for the trophy bonded tipped all the 160 from a 7mm Rem Mag. No complaints, but I'm going back to my old standbys.
Thanks. Super helpful. I really do appreciate all of the recommendations from other guys on other brands/loads, as I always like to hear what guys are using. That said, I really did want info in the two rounds I mentioned, as I have plenty of each and have tested each. Thanks for sharing.

Tmac

WKR
Jim and I think alike. Both VG bullets. I would just make sure that TSX has plenty of velocity to 500. Depending on the environmental details, it may be below 2,000 FPS, which would be where I’d begin to be concerned. If you said TTSX or LRX, it would be less of a concern. I always want more velocity with a HP mono bullet.

OP
Bezamaelee
Jim and I think alike. Both VG bullets. I would just make sure that TSX has plenty of velocity to 500. Depending on the environmental details, it may be below 2,000 FPS, which would be where I’d begin to be concerned. If you said TTSX or LRX, it would be less of a concern. I always want more velocity with a HP mono bullet.
Shoot I didnt even realize that. Thanks for explaining that. I guess that’s why I got recommendations for the LRX from a couple of guys here. Should the LRX perform well inside of 200 yards?

shmelton

FNG
I hunted with a guide in TX who guided whitetail along with exotics including Orinx in the south, mule deer, Audads, and elk in west TX. He even guided Brown Bear and moose in the Alaskan peninsula every yr. He has his clients shoot Barnes TTSX out of all of his loaner guns, which were his personal guns. All of his rifles were custom built. Whether it was his 243 or his 7mm stw he used TTSX.

I shot a nice deer opening day with my bow, and didn’t have a rifle with me, but he invited me to go with one of his assistant guides on a “meat hunt”. We went and shot several does a piece and several hogs to fill the fridges at the orphanages across the border. We were sniping them off of a high hill at about 3-400yds with a 7stw and a 243. Every deer and all but one hog was drt. I was very surprised at what that little 243 bullet in the TTSX would do. I’d never heard of a 7stw before that hunt. He’s a bad dude. I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kickstep

FNG
I think they’re both good choices. If they’re both accurate, and maintain 2000 FPS velocity to your max hunting range, I’d go with the cheaper option and buy at least a couple boxes.

I had a similar question not long ago and Form told me that the TBT is one of the best designed bullets in the 500 yard range.

w squared

FNG
If you're using a monolithic copper, make sure that the bullet still has a lot of velocity when it hits. Copper will always give you good penetrations, but in order to expand to a large diameter, monolithics need more velocity than a lead bullet would....probably at least 2500 FPS.

I’ve narrowed my 7MM mag hunting bullet choice down to Trophy bonded tip and Barnes TSX Both in 160 grain. Both federal premium factory.

Both group well and hit the same to 500 yards out of my Tikka. Wondering which one I should carry this fall for mule deer elk.

No need look any further. Both great choices

Quadzilla32

Lil-Rokslider
Revive an old thread I need to pick up some ammo and trying to narrow down my options.

300 win mag primarily used for elk and mule deer. Through my research it seems that it might be "better" to go with a 180gr round vs a 165gr. I was originally going to go with a 165gr for deer and 180gr for elk but that would require me to sight in my rifle for what I am hunting. I have read that with the heavier round you don't get that much expansion in deer thus saving more meat vs. using a lighter round that will expand more and cause more damage and wasted meat.

If my logic is correct now I need to decide what factory ammo to use. I have came across Barnes TSX and Trophy Bonded, both seem to have good reviews with a slight edge to the Barnes. I chose these two primarily because they are two that are in stock and I have seen them at local shops. I might be overthinking this and could probably go with either and call it a day.

WCB

WKR
I shoot the Trophy Bonded Tip in 300win, 7rem, .270, 7-08. .308. Zero complaints what so ever. Between the 165 and 180 grain I would just pick which one shoots better in your firearm. IMO there would be no noticeable difference in meat loss if the same animal was hit at the same distance with a 15grain difference in bullet.

Generally I recommend 180gr for 300wins as they tend to like them more consistently across the board. Ballistically out to 500 the 180 has a slight edge in energy and less wind drift (about 1.5" less at 500) 165 has a 1" edge at 500 on drop...Again no noticeable difference besides perhaps the grain weight your firearm shoots the best.

Also, operating window is narrower with the TSX I believe 1800ish fps for expansion. Trophy Bonded is 1600.