Help me choose my next bow

Bbell12

WKR
I currently shoot a 2012 Hoyt Vector 32 and after thinking about upgrading bows for a while, I asked my buddy to let me shoot his RX-3 to see if I've been missing out on any new technology in the past 8 years. I was blown away with how smooth the draw cycle was, the increase in speed, and how steady on target it held. Needless to say, I have decided to upgrade bows before this archery season.

But I should probably start this thread with a disclaimer; yes I know bows are subjective in feel and yes I know that the best way to choose a bow is to go try different models at a bow shop until I find one that fits me. But, I'm not at liberty to do that because new bows are out of my price range. I'm only looking to buy used.

So, I've been doing a ton of research in the past few weeks and have narrowed down my list of bows that I'm looking at buying. I would like some feedback from some of you guys who have a ton of experience shooting bows or have tried these bows that I'm looking to purchase. If you have a different suggestion other than the bows on my list, I would be open to that as well.

Here's what I'm looking for:
- 1 or 2 year old bow that will last me a long time
- at least a 30" ATA
- speed of 280 fps with a 500 grain arrow (29"/70# draw length)
- easy to tune (I have a bow press and would like to tune it myself)
- very smooth draw cycle

My list:

- PSE EVO NXT 31
This is probably my top choice going off of what everyone has said about it.

- Hoyt RX-3
Like everything about this bow but am a little hesitant to pull the trigger because of all the bad things I read about them (particularly the sight mounts being crooked)

Am also considering an Elite Kure or the Bowtech Revolt. I don't know if the Revolt will be fast enough for what I would like and I don't know anything about Elite bows.

Which one would you guys recommend and why? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Rob5589

WKR
I can only comment on the PSE; the Evolve cam is the smoothest cam I have ever drawn. Nice and linear to full draw with no big dump off into let off. It isn't the quickest cam, if that is your interest. 30.5" draw @ 65lbs with a 477 grain arrow is 278 fps; when cranked to 70lbs it was 282. That is with the 35" Evoke; I think the 31/33" may be rated a bit quicker.

I frequently bring this up, I know you aren't looking for new because of price but...

Those places around you that have new bows will have parts for those same brands of bows. So I'd take into consideration what parts you can obtain locally. No point in getting anything if it's a 4 hour drive to get service or parts. Hoyt isn't going to send you parts, I doubt PSE will. Limbs get damaged, cams get damaged, different things can happen. I'd want a place for service that's close by.

My 2 cents anyway.

BDRam16

WKR
Might be worth at least checking a local shop. My buddy just scored a last year Prime for 40% off. Who knows what they might have on the shelves.

I’m also no know it all expert, but some of the things on the list might be hard to get together. Smooth draw usually means slightly slower IBO because it doesn’t have as aggressive cams. FWIW, I’ve always though Hoyt had a rather rough draw compared to many other brands. I have a Bowtech branded bow (Diamond Carbon Cure) and it’s super smooth, but definitely not the fastest out there.

my VXR 28.5/70 was only at 270ish with a 511gr. May want to look at the expedite to get the 280 speed you want.

OP
Bbell12

Bbell12

WKR
Thanks for the tips guys. My speed spec isn’t concrete but that’s just what I’m shooting for. If I want it faster I can always drop some arrow weight or get a bow with heavier limbs from the start.

You could try the BT Solution and flip the mods to performance from comfort if you want another 10fps. Easy to tune bow thats kind of like 2 bows in one with the flip disc

Sled

WKR
You could try the BT Solution and flip the mods to performance from comfort if you want another 10fps. Easy to tune bow thats kind of like 2 bows in one with the flip disc
The revolt-x was a pleasant surprise when i compared it to the rx3. smooth shooter and easy to tune. i ended up with a prime black 3 but the vibe is a bit distracting on that one. i may end up with a revolt-x or nxt before the season starts. if the grip fit better i'd be back with mathews.

fwiw, i have a 30"+ DL. if your DL is short it will change the feel on draw quite a bit. another consideration is if the DL is adjustable for fine tuning your DL or resale if that is a concern to you.

LONE HUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
The axius ultra would be good or the rx4 ultra. An elite energy 35 is a damn good bow if you can get one shimmed correctly.. I like the newer Mathews bows quite a bit too, like as in the last 2-4 years of models. My rx4 ultra is shooting 285 or so with a 470 grain arrow at 29 inch draw.

OP
Bbell12

Bbell12

WKR
The axius ultra would be good or the rx4 ultra. An elite energy 35 is a damn good bow if you can get one shimmed correctly.. I like the newer Mathews bows quite a bit too, like as in the last 2-4 years of models. My rx4 ultra is shooting 285 or so with a 470 grain arrow at 29 inch draw.
How does the rx4 ultra compare to the rx3 ultra? Because the rx4’s are still a little out of my price range

rootacres

WKR
The Evo NXT 31 has my vote. That evolve cam is phenomenal. I owned a NXT 31 along with the NTN 33. I preferred the 33 over the 31 for what its worth. I have a 28.5" DL and just felt the 7" BH and slightly longer A to A was slightly more stable. Not that the others are bad, I started with an Evolve 31 then Carbon Air ECS 34, both were great. Now I have an Evo EVL 32. . . The 280 FPS with 500gr arrow is going to be pushing it with most bows, especially if you want a smooth draw. The Expedite NXT would probably get you there.

How does the rx4 ultra compare to the rx3 ultra? Because the rx4’s are still a little out of my price range
I feel that the RX4‘s tuned easier than the RX3 - better nock travel, better cam. Other than that very similar outside of what you referenced earlier with the sight plate issues.

big44a4

WKR
Agreed on the speed at 70# only bow to hit that is probably an xpedite. I just picked up an xpedite nxt last week. It shoots way beyond what I thought a 5.5” brace height bow would. Here’s a group from 110 my first day out shooting it. Shot total archery prime course and shot furthest target out to 155 yards. I was the only one who didn’t miss any targets. So it will shoot as good as you can.
29/68# shooting 377gr arrow at 326 FPS so can have a lot of distance on tape. Haven’t had time to put 535gr hunting arrow through it yet.

a73c50b790f58eb14f675d61a4c11ab6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Zac
OP
Bbell12

Bbell12

WKR
Agreed on the speed at 70# only bow to hit that is probably an xpedite. I just picked up an xpedite nxt last week. It shoots way beyond what I thought a 5.5” brace height bow would. Here’s a group from 110 my first day out shooting it. Shot total archery prime course and shot furthest target out to 155 yards. I was the only one who didn’t miss any targets. So it will shoot as good as you can.
29/68# shooting 377gr arrow at 326 FPS so can have a lot of distance on tape. Haven’t had time to put 535gr hunting arrow through it yet.

a73c50b790f58eb14f675d61a4c11ab6.jpg

Wow that’s pretty incredible. How is the draw cycle on the xpedite? Is it pretty easy to tune too?

OP
Bbell12

Bbell12

WKR
So after a little more research, what do you guys think about a Bowtech Realm SR6? It seems to fit the criteria I’m looking for too

SR6 is a great bow, one of my favorites. Ive done a few for buddies- they run true to draw length and at 29 it is a nice draw cycle. Over 29" and it has a nasty hump and dump. The OD binaries are great for tuning.

LONE HUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
no experience with the rx3u. I can say I haven’t found much negative about the rx4. I does seem a tad sensitive to grip compared to my energy 35 but other than that it’s got a good draw cycle and crisp shot. Doesn’t hold as well as a bow with a super long riser but still holds great. It tuned pretty easy once the cables were shot in.

big44a4

WKR
Wow that’s pretty incredible. How is the draw cycle on the xpedite? Is it pretty easy to tune too?

Very smooth. It’s the evolve cam. I had been shooting a CT5 prior which had a good dump into the back wall. Tuned those 400 spine arrows first shot bullet hole which are way under spined just to get a light arrow for distance shots at total archery.