• Howa 1500

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • AR15 in 300 Blackout

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

rcb2000

WKR
Hi Roksliders,
Was looking for some opinions on my next rifle.
I live and hunt primarily in Virginia, 90% for whitetail, and always have a black bear tag in my pocket.
I spend 90% of the year hunting with my bow, but looking to mix it up this season.

Looking for a firearm that could cover a few bases.
1st- Hunting, either still hunting or from a saddle, in pretty dense Virginia public land.
2nd-Double duty for home defense (already have a handgun)
3rd- $750 or less

Here is what I’ve boiled it down to:
A: Marlin 844: $459
Pro: Good for close distance, with an optic could reach out to 200 yards. Probably an adequate home defense option. Mid-range priced. An optic not necessity, open sights ok.
Con: Limited range, limited capacity.

B: Howa 1500 (likely in .270 or 6.5 Creedmoor): $429
Pro: Good for long range.
Con: Would need an optic, no open sights. Low capacity. Likely a poor home defense.

C: AR15 in 300 Blackout ($?)
Pro: Best of the three for home defense, good capacity.
Con: Likely the most expensive option, optic not included. Doesn’t have the range of the Howa. Probably on a similar level to the Marlin. Availability seems to be pretty limited right now.

Open to any and all opinions, thanks for any feedback or ideas!
Enjoy the week, not too long until the season kicks off!

OP
rcb2000

rcb2000

WKR
How about an AR10 in 6.5 Creedmoore
That was actually what I was thinking, they are VERY expensive from what I've seen for a finished one. I don't know enough about AR's to know what the cost would be to build one, but have some friends who could probably help put one together.

Of those options I would go with the marlin lever gun. XS rail with ghost ring sights, and a side saddle for holding a couple spare cartridges. Have you considered and 1894 in .44 mag or .357 mag. Plenty for whitetails and black bear. More capacity for social work. A red dot would be a good fit for that kind of firearm.

That was actually what I was thinking, they are VERY expensive from what I've seen for a finished one. I don't know enough about AR's to know what the cost would be to build one, but have some friends who could probably help put one together.

I built one. I did my best to go lightweight premium parts without going overboard. I did not add up what the total was. I imagine about $800.00 give of take. But I topped it with a ACOG (well outside your budget). There are scope options though. I believe that this rifle option will check all your boxes best, but be a bit outside your budget. However, I do not view an AR as a good choice in home defense as there is just to much down range killability. As N2TRKYS, I'd suggest a shotgun with interchangeable barrels, unless you actually need something that has more longer range ability.

taz_gerstman

Lil-Rokslider
I have a marlin 30-30 lever action for dense vegetation. shoots real good out to 100 yards. Havent had to shoot it further than that. It has a good vortex scope on it. If you are hunting dense vegetation then you don't need a 6.5 or anything like that. I would stick with a good lever action. Prob taken more game in the history of hunting than any gun. Lever action that is.

OP
rcb2000

rcb2000

WKR
Thanks guys, keep it coming, lots of good opinions and perspectives here.
I appreciate it

OP
rcb2000

rcb2000

WKR
I built one. I did my best to go lightweight premium parts without going overboard. I did not add up what the total was. I imagine about $800.00 give of take. But I topped it with a ACOG (well outside your budget). There are scope options though. I believe that this rifle option will check all your boxes best, but be a bit outside your budget. However, I do not view an AR as a good choice in home defense as there is just to much down range killability. As N2TRKYS, I'd suggest a shotgun with interchangeable barrels, unless you actually need something that has more longer range ability.
Do you happen to have a pic of it? Would love to see it

22lr

WKR
The AR is an incredibly versitle firearm! I'm not a big fan of the .300, but there are tons of options right now. Decent ARs can be had under $650, so dont let cost scare you. For hunting and defense applications you dont need a $1k+ gun. Just look for a good basic gun and rock it! I prefer fixed stocks and basic rails. For the range your looking at, a good 1-6x24 or 1-8x24 scope would be the bees knees and also incredibly versitle as a defense scope as well.

I currently have a Palmetto State Armory gun, super basic, super cheap, runs like a champ with a 1-4x24 PST (of love to go up to the 6x but I'm too cheap). It's not the most accurate AR I've ever owned, but at 200 yards your gonna be right on the money! But, the .300 is not a long range cartridge anyways so dont waste money on a gun that can do more than the cartridge can give you.