Help me choose new hunting arrows

I’ve been shooting the following setup for a while now, but I know I’m slightly over spined and could go a bit lighter with more FOC.

CX Mayhem SDS 350s. They’re a small diameter 11.25 gpi carbon with a 40gn half out insert.
Cut at 25”
3 blazer vane
5” wraps
Nock and collar
100 gn fixed BH (G5 Montech)
Total weight 480 gn

The bow is a Hoyt RX1 (IBO 340 FPS)
#2 Cam (80% mods/not the stock 85%)
67#
26” DL

If I remember right that setup is shooting about 246 FPS. I don’t care nearly as much about speed as I do penetration. Deer and elk are the target. Some I’m considering are FMJ 5mm or Kenectic Kaos. I hate change but my shafts are getting hard to get as they were discontinued a few years ago.

Last edited:

bsnedeker

WKR
If you don't care about speed and do care about penetration why do you want to go lighter?

Personally, I really like my DaySix arrows and you would be hard-pressed to find an arrow company with better customer service. You can call Brian and he will walk you through exactly what you need based on what you are trying to accomplish.

TBHasler

WKR
My $.02, i’d personally want a bit more speed on my arrows for whitetail. Unless your shooting 10-15yds or under always (stand/blind).
1 arrow for all game:
BE rampages with same spine and set up will save you about 55 grains. Would step up speed for my whitetail preference and still provide a serviceable set up for elk.
Or Oder a dozen of same BE rampage 350s, build set for whitetail and set for elk.
Whitetail = same as above.
Elk = arrow above + add 25g footer option standard with arrow and option to go to 125 G5 Montecs for additional 50g up front (this puts elk set up within 5g of current set up - easy transition)
Dz custom built rampages from black ovis is $130ish
Just spit balling but thought it might help
Good luck

Marble

WKR
What is the draw weight? Assuming 70 I would just recreatewhat you have in a FMJ or Axis. Buy the 75 grain inserts, cut your arrow and put it together, then weigh it to get an idea of total point weight.

A 28.5", 340 spine axis, with 200 up front total, come out to around 510 grains depending on fletches and wraps. I do 4 fletch with a half wrap. Take off the wrap and one fletch and your high 490s. Shoot a 100 grain head and your 465. There is lots of wiggle room.

OP
Jahvette20
If you don't care about speed and do care about penetration why do you want to go lighter?

Personally, I really like my DaySix arrows and you would be hard-pressed to find an arrow company with better customer service. You can call Brian and he will walk you through exactly what you need based on what you are trying to accomplish.
I care a bit about speed due to whitetail hunting but I’m MORE concerned about penetration. I may be better off dropping 40 gns to have a more “universal” arrow and not loose much KE. Thanks

OP
Jahvette20
What is the draw weight? Assuming 70 I would just recreatewhat you have in a FMJ or Axis. Buy the 75 grain inserts, cut your arrow and put it together, then weigh it to get an idea of total point weight.

A 28.5", 340 spine axis, with 200 up front total, come out to around 510 grains depending on fletches and wraps. I do 4 fletch with a half wrap. Take off the wrap and one fletch and your high 490s. Shoot a 100 grain head and your 465. There is lots of wiggle room.
I’m shooting 67#. Thanks for the input

Zac

WKR
I would second the BE Rampage shaft. I think you get consistency of the Axis with a lighter gpi. If you want more FOC then you can easily load the front with the BE Focus system, or better yet use IW components. This is assuming you want a .204 shaft and not a .166.

Beendare

WKR
You have such a short draw- 25" arrow you stated.....I wouldn't drop arrow weight.

I would go with one of the 5mm shafts for ease of components and add a heavy insert.

____

OP
Jahvette20
I'm not a fan of FMJ's or the Kinetics. I'd go with an Axis and maybe even a longer arrow.
Why a longer arrow? Just to weaken spine to make the 350s more suitable? I’ve thought of that but always leaned toward less shaft=less drag and drift. I’m not a huge fan of the idea of aluminum (FMJ) for hunting either but I like the GPI of them vs the axis. Also I see potential advantage of the aluminum exterior for possible increase in penetration simply due to less resistance than carbon, probably a minimal amount at best though. Thanks

KineKilla

WKR
I have shot Victory, fmj and Axis. I prefer the fmj's for a number of reasons...

They pull very nicely from targets. Allows me to shoot the same arrows at the range as I do in the field.

They give me a decent overall weight without having to have extreme foc. Not that foc is a bad thing.

They are quite strong. I've seen them bounced off of gravel roads with the only damage being to the nock.

Here are the various arrows I've used or built for friends recently. Don't yet have the foc specs for the newest fmj build.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk
6bf833be2bd6d6545a5e68a7b291184f.jpg

DavePwns

WKR
I agree, axis are hard to beat. I used to use fmj for a year and those were not near as durable and bent after moderate use

OP
Jahvette20
I went with 5mm axis match grade 340s and brass inserts. I think I’ll keep the shafts a bit long, maybe 26.5-27” and run the full 75gn insert. For those running the axis/HIT, do you ever have problems with the end of the shaft getting damaged from points being seated right on the carbon? I’ve never used the HIT system and that’s the only potential concern I have. I’m sure it’s a non issue since they’ve been around so long. I’m considering making up some footers for piece of mind.

KineKilla

WKR
You shouldn't have any damage from normal target or 3d use with the Axis. They suck to pull from block targets though. If you're concerned you could use some Easton BAR adapters and up the diameter of your points.

I’m a fan of FMJs. In the end, I think you can’t go wrong with any arrow you choose, as long as you believe it is the best choice. So much of archery is mental and you absolutely have to believe in your equipment.

I am using the Day Six and love them. That said, if I was going to switch arrows, I’d use the Easton Axis. With the Iron Will components. “Cheaper” arrows. Can find em on the shelf almost anywhere. There is always components in the classifieds, it’s a popular arrow for a reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DB29

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 27DL and pull 70lbs. I run an axis 300, with 200grs up front. Here is what the spine app says the numbers are:E51B7CC4-6DE7-481C-922B-6B93AF5A9F1E.png