Help me choose sausage seasoning

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
I have made summer sausage from whitetail deer several times, ( as well as pepperoni and breakfast sausages) always used either high mountain or cabelas kits etc. always turned out great. I am wanting to try something different this year but having a hard time deciding which flavor to get. Let me know if u have tried any of these and what u thought, or let me know of any not listed u think i will like lol

Here is a list if what I am Looking at but cant decide between:

owensbbq: German Bologna Sausage

owensbbq: Red Barn Bologna Sausage

conyeager: Dutch Country Sweet

conyeager: Trail Bologna

conyeager: PA Deer Bologna

Butcherand Packer: Knockwurst Seasoning

Walton's: Landjeager Sesoning (their description says if you like dill pickle (but i hate dill pickle) but i have seen pics and pretty sure a thread on here and it looked good)

Walton's: Southern Sweet Kentucky Bourbon Sausage

Walton's: Longanisa Sweet Sausage

The Conyeager PA one is excellent IMO. My other favorites are the recipe from Meateater, Witt's (bought from ask the Meat Man), and my #1 favorite that's semi local from Thompsons meats in Jersey Shore PA. The Thompsons one is the home town favorite.

Whisky

WKR
I've done both of the Owen's you mentioned. I did them in a fully smoked/cooked sausage. It was my first and only attempt at doing a cooked sausage. I thought they were OK, not great. I have not used them since. I prefer raw, cold smoked sausage. The Red Barn would be my prefernce of those two mentioned; they are similar, but the RB has less garlic.

Every thing I've tried from Waltons has been Ok. But I have not tried any of the flavors you've mentioned.

I've not yet found any commercial seasonings that blow me a way. Seem to be moving to more simple, homemade for sausage.

1# meat
14.2 g Tenderquick
1.1 g coarse black pepper
60 g H20

^^^^ Simple, and delicous!

wavygravy

FNG
I've used the PS Seasonings several times now to great applause, the two standouts were the Bratwurst and the Philly Cheese Steak with mozzarella added

I’ve tried a few of these and they all have been excellent. AC Legg is great too

RGARNER

Lil-Rokslider
Whatever you use, make sure to put a small sample in a frying pan to cook and try before stuffing. I made the mistake of not doing this and ended up with a 30lb batch of underflavored sausage.

GBHunter

FNG
The Spokane Spice Company offers great selections and can be purchased online. We have used many of the selections and they all turned out well. They offer sample pack sizes to try a few before mixing a larger batch. If you happen to be making jerky, the sweet-n-hot is a favorite.