Help me decide! Mark5 hd size...

Hoping to get opinions on which scope sizes to go with.

Im currently waiting on 2 new rifles. They will be longer range hunting guns for a variety of game.

They are the exact same rifle except for caliber and barrel length. They are carbon/carbon guns that will be around 7-7.5 lbs bare rifle. One is a 300wm w/ 26in barrel and the other is a 6.5 PRC with a 24in barrel. Looking to keep it resonable weight wise once completely outfitted as I do hunt steep demanding country. They wont be "truck" guns... But a few extra ounces for good optics won't kill me either.

Ive looked at every scope option out there and keep comong back to the new leupold mark5 hd MOA. I know leupold has had their issues with tracking in the past.... My hope is this mark5 is a different animal and havent heard much bad about them. Im not set on leupold but I do like the company. Im from oregon and have friends who work there who can get deals for friends from time to time so that doesnt hurt either...

So here's where I'm looking for opinions...

What size do I go with? The same on both? Bigger on the 300wm, smaller on the 6.5 PRC? Give me your thought!!! Here are some specs on both. Thanks!

3.6-18×44
26 oz
12.06 in length
100 moa elevation
80 moa windage

5-25x56
30 oz
15.67 in length
120 moa elevation
60 moa windage

ckleeves

WKR
I like the 3.6-18. IMO that’s a great power range for a long range hunting scope. Low enough on the bottom end and 18x is plenty on the top. The 4 ounce savings is nice also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brush Buster

Lil-Rokslider
I played with both sizes a bit. One thing that you will notice right away is the 3-18 is a MUCH smaller scope than the 5-25. The 5-25 is a larger piece of glass. Turrets felt very nice and capped windage, zerolock elevation and smallish parallax knob were nice additions for a hunting scope. As long as you like ffp scopes they might be a great option. I don’t have any experience using them but seem to be nice quality and have nice features.

OP
O
I agree on everything above. The 3.6-18 pwr wise will plenty for everything I will do.

I also agree they have completely different "feels" size wise. I personally can go either way when it comes to go vs sfp.

I want to love the leupold vx-6 hd in either
4-24×52 or 3-18×50. The weight and sizes are very intriguing but I just dont know if I can trust them...

ericF

WKR
At the marked down price, why not get the Swaro X5s at Midway. They have the same 3-18 and 5-25.

OP
O
At the marked down price, why not get the Swaro X5s at Midway. They have the same 3-18 and 5-25.

If I would have been paying attention and could of gotten on them at the start of the sale I probably would've went that route. The 4w reticle went stupid fast. I'm just not really a fan of the BRM. The tree style is busy for me when it comes to a hunting scope.

Brush Buster

Lil-Rokslider
If I would have been paying attention and could of gotten on them at the start of the sale I probably would've went that route. The 4w reticle went stupid fast. I'm just not really a fan of the BRM. The tree style is busy for me when it comes to a hunting scope.
They went fast but I did see a few on eBay. There was a new x5 3-18 4wx that was going for 1800. I was reaaallly tempted but went with a NF instead. Still not sure if I’ll regret it. But keep an eye out for an x5 on eBay or hunting website classifieds, they pop up from time to time

I was also interested in the mark 5. I was told they are very reliable and return to zero well. But that the click value is not true. So you will have to modify your ballistic solvers to get a correct dialup.

I'd suggest NF, Or Ziess V6 if wanting to save weight.

OP
O
They went fast but I did see a few on eBay. There was a new x5 3-18 4wx that was going for 1800. I was reaaallly tempted but went with a NF instead. Still not sure if I’ll regret it. But keep an eye out for an x5 on eBay or hunting website classifieds, they pop up from time to time

The bad part is im actually after 4 scopes. I'm having 2 rifles built and my dad is having the exact same built. Trying to find 4 this route may,be difficult

OP
O
I was also interested in the mark 5. I was told they are very reliable and return to zero well. But that the click value is not true. So you will have to modify your ballistic solvers to get a correct dialup.

I'd suggest NF, Or Ziess V6 if wanting to save weight.

I haven't heard that about the click value. Interesting.
Ive looked At the zeiss v6. Its tempting to try. I like NF products as well

Take it with a grain of salt. I'm not sure what it would take to modify the profile.

But as a beginner I wanted less variables so I went nf, but may make a last min change to the V6 last min.

OP
O
Take it with a grain of salt. I'm not sure what it would take to modify the profile.

But as a beginner I wanted less variables so I went nf, but may make a last min change to the V6 last min.

I here ya. I haven't heard anything about that but I believe ya. Will look more into it now.

That v6 looks sweet! It was and still is high on my list

300ELK

FNG
I have the Swarovski 3-18 BRM don’t find it to busy. I’m very happy with this scope. I would recommend it.

blackdog

Lil-Rokslider
I've been shoot a 5-25 Mark 5 for quite a while now and it's been bulletproof so far. The glass is excellent, the turret feels great to me, it has tracked perfectly, and there's been no issue with the click value not being true. Shot a PRS-style match last weekend and the scope matched my Kestrel AB perfectly all day to the furthest shots out to 750. I've ran the scope out past 1000 many times in the past with the same results. Now, if it could only read wind for me! ;-)

Deciding which one will likely be on what you want out of your finished rifle. Are you looking to shave ounces for a highly packable rifle? Are you hunting in situations you might need that lower magnification from time to time? Are you hunting more open country and could likely use the higher end more often?

There's really not much you can't do with a magnification of 18x. That said, it is nice to have higher from time to time. Since you're getting a deal through your buddy, maybe get one of each and run them both for a while. Sell the one you least like and buy again.

Personally I'm waiting on a new 7-35 Mark 5 to put on a new .300WM that will be finished any day now.

OP
O
I've been shoot a 5-25 Mark 5 for quite a while now and it's been bulletproof so far. The glass is excellent, the turret feels great to me, it has tracked perfectly, and there's been no issue with the click value not being true. Shot a PRS-style match last weekend and the scope matched my Kestrel AB perfectly all day to the furthest shots out to 750. I've ran the scope out past 1000 many times in the past with the same results. Now, if it could only read wind for me! ;-)

Deciding which one will likely be on what you want out of your finished rifle. Are you looking to shave ounces for a highly packable rifle? Are you hunting in situations you might need that lower magnification from time to time? Are you hunting more open country and could likely use the higher end more often?

There's really not much you can't do with a magnification of 18x. That said, it is nice to have higher from time to time. Since you're getting a deal through your buddy, maybe get one of each and run them both for a while. Sell the one you least like and buy again.

Personally I'm waiting on a new 7-35 Mark 5 to put on a new .300WM that will be finished any day now.

Awesome, thanks for the reply. Im glad your liking it. So many good scope options it gets a little frustrating. Also I'm glad you commented on the click value. The previous comment had me thrown off a little as ive never heard anything about it. Not that it isnt true or maybe was a bad batch? Not sure there. Havent been able to find anything on it elsewhere.

OP
O
Also going with 1 of each size like you mentioned might be a good route. Put the 5-25 on the 300wm and 3.6-18 on the 6.5 PRC. Im having the prc built with the hopes of it being something for the other half to carry and shoot. Shes on the smaller side so 3.6-18 being 4 oz lighter wouldnt hurt.

I had both sizes side by side and to me the 3-18x would be the one that I buy. Having them both at 18x I felt the 3-18s actually had a better image than the 5-25x. The small size of the scope was super appealing to me and on a hunting rifle I think it could a great option.

I've heard people say the glass in the Mark 5 is top of the line, but I had my Kahles k624i next to both Leupolds and the Kahles was definitely better. It should be better given the price difference, but the resolution and brightness of the Kahles was noticeably different when comparing the scopes side by side after the sun went down.

OP
O
Thanks everyone for the input so far. Much appreciated! Not a ton of info out on people running them on hunting rifle setups so every little bit of info sure does help. Trying to do all the research I can so hopefully I don't hate whatever i end up with! I really need to get them side by side. Ive played with both a couple times but never have had them both in my hands at one time. Both have their + and -. The weight savings on the 18 is appealing for packing.