Help me decide my next scope for 300prc

madcalfe

WKR
i run a kahles 318i and love it, flawless tracking. unbelievable glass, better than a ATACR in the glass department.
I had to send my first one back though the magnification internals randomly came apart, swarvo promptly replaced it with a new one and sent me extras to go with it. and haven't had a single issue with the new one.
I would highly recommend the new 5-25i DLR

Leupold mark 5HD is also a nice scope. i don't think you can really go wrong with it providing you don't get a lemon. but in the end leupold will just replace it.

Can also look a the Schmidt and bender scopes

i think once you get into the ATACR and up tier of optics it literally comes down to what your wanting out of your scope, weight, mag range, price point,

madcalfe

WKR
So what I'm seeing is no real great options in the 3-5x min and 30x+ max... Best options appear to be 5-25. Unless I want to go with a March?

Anyone with experience on the Maven 5-30?
can look at a schmidt and bender PMII 3-27 or PM ll 5-45 high power.. i mean i dont know why you would honestly want to go higher than a 25 especially on a hunting rifle.

OP
Manakh

Manakh

FNG
can look at a schmidt and bender PMII 3-27 or PM ll 5-45 high power.. i mean i dont know why you would honestly want to go higher than a 25 especially on a hunting rifle.
Only because I pack light and do upwards of 10-14 miles some days on foot and I refuse to carry a spotter doing those miles. Certainly don't need more then 25x for shooting an animal. So if I can half ass use the scope to spot the little I would try to use a spotter then small victory. But I don't want to sacrifice clarity, durability, and reliability just for 5-10 extra magnification over a 5-25x

madcalfe

WKR
Only because I pack light and do upwards of 10-14 miles some days on foot and I refuse to carry a spotter doing those miles. Certainly don't need more then 25x for shooting an animal. So if I can half ass use the scope to spot the little I would try to use a spotter then small victory. But I don't want to sacrifice clarity, durability, and reliability just for 5-10 extra magnification over a 5-25x
....uhhhh..... oh boy..... well first off using your rifle scope to "glass" instead of a spotter is so dumb on all levels.
you can easily make up the weigh of a spotter and tripod by getting lighter gear.... even just going to a normal scope in the 20oz range your saving a whole pound on beefier optics.... buy a lighter sleeping bag, lighter tent, pack the shit you only need and theres the weight of the spotter gone....... and your not having to potentially point your gun at other hunters you see moving in the distance

Last edited:

Spoonbill

WKR
There's always a lemon out there but can you please point me to the threads where guys are having issues with their mk5s?
I'm pretty involved in competition forums and literally 99% of guys are having the same success as I am.
Again I'm not a fan boy, leupold puts me on edge.. but I have to give credit where it's due.

I live less than 75 minutes from the NF headquarters, and I get a discount on their optics, but after the crap they pulled on a fellow shooter who had an nx8 fail I'm done with them.
They literally refused to fix his scope and claimed it was a mounting issue, he took them to court and discovered that nearly all their warranty claims get loged as "mounting issues".
Pretty convenient way to keep up your bullet proof reputation when a failed scope comes in for repair
Do you have a case cite for that lawsuit? I’d be interested to read it.

OP
Manakh

Manakh

FNG
....uhhhh..... oh boy..... well first off using your rifle scope to "glass" instead of a spotter is so dumb on all levels.
you can easily make up the weigh of a spotter and tripod by getting lighter gear.... even just going to a normal scope in the 20oz range your saving a whole pound on beefier optics.... buy a lighter sleeping bag, lighter tent, pack the shit you only need and theres the weight of the spotter gone....... and your not having to potentially point your gun at other hunters you see moving in the distance

Well considering I don't camp hunt I hike in from the truck daily I'm pretty much bare bones and essentials only already. My pack is 1500 cu in... Soooo already pretty hard to shave pounds when what fits in there is only a couple pounds other then water.

You're jumping to some conclusions here knowing nothing about how or where Im hunting. I'm not intending to necessarily "glass" with it. More along the lines of count points once locating animals or better confirming what I think I'm seeing with binos (bedded deer for example).
I glass with my bino's first, even at a mile + away before I would look through a rifle scope to "glass"

So thanks for your comments but you contributed nothing but a rude opinion based on false assumptions.

Macht

FNG
There's the NF 7-35, but that is a lot on the low end for a hunting scope.

Flyjunky

WKR
For anyone looking for results of tracing go over to snipershide and they have the 2020 tracking tests out. These are real world tests and some of the results might surprise you. The brands that fanboys say are 100% reliable/track perfect....well, just go read it.

All scopes, no matter the brand, can/will have issues. The more a company sells the more we hear about any problems because there are more of those being used.

nksmfamjp

FNG
In your price range, I would be looking at Delta Stryker ( Delta Optical ) (sold on Amazon by DarnFineShot or DarnFineOptics or something like that. The DarkLordofOptics Russian guy likes them a lot at that price. I would also look at the Tract Toric models….I have the 4-20x, but too new to say more than it seems like a step up from the $1000 stuff. The Vortex Razor Gen 2 gets a lot of positive reviews, but it is heavy and getting a bit long in the tooth. You might look at the Vortex 4.5-22 LHT, if you would like a lot of scope at a hunting weight, but it is below your bottom price by a few $$. I forgot to repeat….those Nightforce NX8’s are good stuff at a decent weight.

That said, there is no crap in this price range, but sorry to say, you probably won’t kill any more deer going over $1000. Most well designed $1000 optics will kill all the deer you can put them on.

Spotting deer at that range is why you have the 15x56 ED Binos on a tripod!