Help me decide my next scope for 300prc

Manakh

FNG
First things first, leave the bias or fanboy out of this thread please. We're looking at this completely objectively and logically.

Wife got me a CA Ridgeline 300prc for Christmas. I intend to use this for smacking critters more at longer distance, more black bear then anything actually but potential for elk and some day mule deer when I decide to switch it up from blacktail and whitetail.

I happen to be blessed with discounts to most major scope companies due to my job but there are a couple I don't have discounts to.
I have zero allegiance to any company, but I'll be honest Leupold has scared me in the last several year with tracking and durability.

On paper- the nightforce nx8 4-32 f1 was jumping out to me, but I've read a notable number of reviews saying the eye relief was touchy and the parallax was sensitive.
I often don't carry a spotting scope so there's some allure to 32x. I certainly don't need it to shoot at hunting distance, I've been ringing steel with 5-25x at 1200+ with a 7mag but having that kind of magnification range doesn't hurt.

So just curious what you all think for that 1800-2500-ish retail range. Anything you'd choose over the nightforce and why?

Cynoscion

Lil-Rokslider
I have the same rifle and had the same dilemma. I did lots of research and ended up with the ”little” Leupold Mark 5. The 3.6-18x44 model checked all of the boxes for me. I’ve shot it quite a bit and haven’t had any return to zero issues at all which is the main concern I kept reading about. The Mark 5 turrets are completely different then the Vx line and you’ll know it as soon as you touch them. It’s a badass optic.
I also have an NX8 (2.5-20x50). If I had it to do over again, I would’ve bought another Mark 5. The NX8 is really nice but the eye box is finicky as is the parallax. Optically, I think the Mark 5 is better also.
My 2 cents

OP
Manakh

Manakh

FNG
I have the same rifle and had the same dilemma. I did lots of research and ended up with the ”little” Leupold Mark 5. The 3.6-18x44 model checked all of the boxes for me. I’ve shot it quite a bit and haven’t had any return to zero issues at all which is the main concern I kept reading about. The Mark 5 turrets are completely different then the Vx line and you’ll know it as soon as you touch them. It’s a badass optic.
I also have an NX8 (2.5-20x50). If I had it to do over again, I would’ve bought another Mark 5. The NX8 is really nice but the eye box is finicky as is the parallax. Optically, I think the Mark 5 is better also.
My 2 cents

I've been told the mark 5 has less tracking issues then the VX, but I know a couple guys that have still had issues. Wish they made a 5-30 tho...

Maven has a 5-30, I love their binos.

Cynoscion

Lil-Rokslider
If you’re going to have trust issues with the Mark 5 then the bigger NX8 might be the way for you to go. I’ve read and heard from others that a lot of the complaints I have about the 2.5-20 are not as bad in the bigger model simply bc it’s not near as compact. The main tube is definitely longer which should help with ease of mounting and getting your eye relief set to your liking which was a big problem with the 2.5-20. I’m guessing that the parallax will still be an issue but may not be near as finicky.
Good luck and follow up with what you choose and how you like it.

I have an nx8 4-32f1 on my 6.5 training rifle and i am really loving it.
Eyebox isn't the best but your supposed to put you head in the same spot anyways.
The parallax sure you can't change the zoom by much and it get blurry and you have to adjust it.
But I usually forget the parallax so this helps remind me.
It hasn't made it on a hunting rifle yet because I'm not sure I want to hunt with ffp.

My hunting rifle has a V6 3-18 it is definitely more user friendly in the eye relief and parallax, and clarity.
So far has been spot on but it is 2nd focal.

The only real reason for me to trade it out would be to both scopes are identical. And if I find continued value in ffp.

Unfortunately in the nx8 ffp and 2fp do not offer matching reticles or I would definitely switch out the v6 for no other reason the familiarity.

Or if they made a v6 in ffp I probably would have went that route but the v6 came before the nx8 for me.
But I really wanted ffp on my training rifle.

OP
Manakh

Manakh

FNG
I have been hunting with a vortex viper pst ii 5-25 f1, so I'm used to first focal plane for hunting that's no issue. I also dial for elevation anything beyond 3 moa just to be precise, but I hold over for wind. So I really only use the center of the cross hair and occasionally up to 3 moa of elevation.
Tracking and a slightly less busy crosshair are a must.

Flyjunky

WKR
I've been going through this same dilemma for a couple months but my build won't be done for another 7+ months so I have some time to make a decision.

I've started some threads on this same subject and to me it boils down what is the absolute most important to you. I absolutely love everything about the Leupold except for the reliability reports. I have heard of some guys having trouble with Nightforce, Vortex, and Swarovski as well though so it's not just a Leupold thing. I think part of the problem with Leupold is that they sell so many more scopes and because of that will have more "bad" scopes out there.

Weight and optics = Leupold
reliability and price = NX8
optics and reliability = Atacr

I'm obviously not including scopes in the caliber of SB, ZC, and TT because those are in a whole other price category.

I've been told the mark 5 has less tracking issues then the VX, but I know a couple guys that have still had issues. Wish they made a 5-30 tho...

Maven has a 5-30, I love their binos.
Don't be afraid of the mk5
I ran two of them for 3 years and did a ton of dialing with absolutely perfect tracking.
I'm not a leupold fan boy at all but they got it right with that scope.
I also owned the NX8 4-32 and the 5-25 mk5 absolutely killed it on every comparison, especially clarity.
The nx8 has really poor clarity past about 20x.
I sold it off and bought a March fx 4.5-28, it's in another League altogether but pricey..

ShakeDown

WKR
I recently was in a similar boat trying to scope a new Seekins Havak Element in 6.5 PRC.

Wanted FFP, locking elevation, capped windage, moa reticle, forgiving eyebox.

I found a demo Mark5 5-25 on Eurooptic for $1,700 that checked all the boxes. It came still in the plastic wrap.

alaska_bou

Lil-Rokslider
If you are planning on any significant hunts, international travel, etc, I would not even consider leupold. On paper they make a nice product with cute features and I would agree the glass is much better than the leupold of yester year. Sadly the failure rate, issues with zero retention, etc, is a real problem they have not fixed and I personally won't jeapardize a hunt by using one. Quality control between sample variation is terrible. Some people get a good product and many do not.

For the weight, reliability/durability and performance the NX8 and the Zeiss V6 are fantastic.

I too get significant discounts on almost anything hunting related and each of these brands will extend significant savings off of retail if you reach out directly to them. Guides and outfitters usally get smaller discounts, though.

If you are planning on any significant hunts, international travel, etc, I would not even consider leupold. On paper they make a nice product with cute features and I would agree the glass is much better than the leupold of yester year. Sadly the failure rate, issues with zero retention, etc, is a real problem they have not fixed and I personally won't jeapardize a hunt by using one. Quality control between sample variation is terrible. Some people get a good product and many do not.

For the weight, reliability/durability and performance the NX8 and the Zeiss V6 are fantastic.

I too get significant discounts on almost anything hunting related and each of these brands will extend significant savings off of retail if you reach out directly to them. Guides and outfitters usally get smaller discounts, though.
We're talking the mk5 tactical line not the garbage vx6
Zeiss isn't a model of reliability either, I had a v6 that failed to track

Sorry to say, the mark 5 are exactly what I was referring to
Well apparently it's tough and reliable enough for combat.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2020/03/11/leupold-mark-5hd-army-psr/amp/

I've used mine in matches and talked with other shooters who run them as well, nothing but good feedback with the exception of a parallax knob issue that one shooter had.
I'd like to hear why you think the mk5 isn't up to the task?

FWIW I know a handful of lr shooters who've had their NF scopes crap out, it happens a lot more than people think

MikeDeltaFoxtrot

Lil-Rokslider
I have an NX8 2.5-20x50, and I have hunted with it some this year. I have killed 2 deer with it, one of which was 26 minutes after sunset at 184 yards. I like the glass a lot and the FFP illuminated reticle works well in low light. What I have concluded, however, is that I am just not going to dial when hunting. I had a brief opportunity on a deer at 394 yards, and I missed the chance because I was trying to dial the scope. Once I am on the animal, I don't want to have to come off the gun to screw around with my scope. I realize there are people who feel differently, but I really prefer to hold over, and I want a reticle that makes that easy.

I am setting up a new 300 Weatherby Mag right now, and I just bought a Swaro Z5 3.5-18-44 with the BRH reticle. I think it will work out well for me, but I'll report back.

alaska_bou

Lil-Rokslider
My understanding is the mil-spec mark 5 and the over-the-counter mark 5 are not the same scope. Besides, I don't think uncle sam has a history of buying the very best product available as much as they like to give out contracts to the lowest bidder. If you have a mark 5 and are happy with it, thats great. I really wanted to like mine at the time I bought it. Mine held up for about 60 rounds to a .300 win before something inside the scope malfunctioned. Leupold warranty came through with a new replacement and never specified what the problem was. I promptly sold the replacement and have been trouble-free since changing brands. Fortunately this happened at the gun range and not on a high dollar hunt in the middle on nowhere. There are quite a few reviews on this site alone that talk about mark 5 issues with zero retention and tracking problems so I will rule out the possibility I bought the only lemon.

OP
Manakh

Manakh

FNG
I've heard of more tracking issues with the mk5 or any Leupold over any other company. Maybe that's because they sell more then any company I do not know. But even my vortex viper pst 2 has never had an issue.

I have a discount on kahles- They've crossed my mind... I just keep circling back round to the nx8 4-32 tho... Mostly because it's 4-32 then anything and I like the low power and high power, I don't run a spotter when I know I'm really putting the miles in and a 32x would be that much better for zooming in on an anima... It's just more versatile... Buuuuut has drawbacks as stated!! Wish there was more options similar with less drawback.

My understanding is the mil-spec mark 5 and the over-the-counter mark 5 are not the same scope. Besides, I don't think uncle sam has a history of buying the very best product available as much as they like to give out contracts to the lowest bidder. If you have a mark 5 and are happy with it, thats great. I really wanted to like mine at the time I bought it. Mine held up for about 60 rounds to a .300 win before something inside the scope malfunctioned. Leupold warranty came through with a new replacement and never specified what the problem was. I promptly sold the replacement and have been trouble-free since changing brands. Fortunately this happened at the gun range and not on a high dollar hunt in the middle on nowhere. There are quite a few reviews on this site alone that talk about mark 5 issues with zero retention and tracking problems so I will rule out the possibility I bought the only lemon.
There's always a lemon out there but can you please point me to the threads where guys are having issues with their mk5s?
I'm pretty involved in competition forums and literally 99% of guys are having the same success as I am.
Again I'm not a fan boy, leupold puts me on edge.. but I have to give credit where it's due.

I live less than 75 minutes from the NF headquarters, and I get a discount on their optics, but after the crap they pulled on a fellow shooter who had an nx8 fail I'm done with them.
They literally refused to fix his scope and claimed it was a mounting issue, he took them to court and discovered that nearly all their warranty claims get loged as "mounting issues".
Pretty convenient way to keep up your bullet proof reputation when a failed scope comes in for repair

snipe10

FNG
I use Swaro Z8i's for my hunting rifles and Nightforce ATACR's for long range steel and on my custom coyote gun. Can't go wrong with either. Vortex are great too especially with their warranty but heavy. I'm just used to Swaro and NF.

OP
Manakh

Manakh

FNG
So what I'm seeing is no real great options in the 3-5x min and 30x+ max... Best options appear to be 5-25. Unless I want to go with a March?

Anyone with experience on the Maven 5-30?