Help me decide on a pack. SO, Exo, Kifaru experience needed

tdot

WKR
After trying a number of packs, the SO has worked best for carrying heavy loads for me. I've used it a number of times with weight in excess of 100 pounds (measured on a scale) and it worked far better for me then the other frames I've tried (including Kifaru). They are light years better in day pack mode, I barely even notice that I'm wearing it.

I'm not a huge fan of how their bags attach, but I've modified mine to make them work better for me. I also really wish they would come out with a better small organization/compression panel that was waterproof. The talon is way too small and the Merlin isn't waterproof. I'm in the process of designing a small bag for Pods8 to sew for me, but I'd rather buy something off the shelf. Other then those 2 complaints, the SO system is pretty solid and I chose it after buying/returning a number of different frames.

Milo

Lil-Rokslider
Exo 4800 has worked great for me out West for 3-5 day backpack hunts or even as a day pack. Solid company too, they had a minor frame issue a little while back on select packs and instead of solving it on an individual basis they sent a replacement frame to everyone (I’ll speak for myself that I received one). Spoke magnitude to how they stand behind their product, approachable dudes too. Happy to chat more if you wanted.

Most of the information I've read comparing load hauling capabilities seem to out exo and kifaru at the top. That's one of the reasons I took SG out of the running. That, and I just don't love the bag layout.

I’ve had K1 and K2 exo and Kifaru gen 2 duplex. Right now I have a current gen SO peregrine and a bigger custom bag and a SG x-curve 6900. For me, the stone glacier hauls meat the best of them all followed by EXO K2. Kifaru and SO struggle a little more to stay on my hips.

My opinion/experience: EXO is tops for comfort with light loads, followed by SO, then SG, and the Kifaru gen2 duplex brought up the tail as it was most restrictive.

As far as best thought out bags, EXO is damn tough to beat as far as having convenient features and remaining streamlined and lighter. SG isn’t quite there IMO. SO has some nice designs but they aren’t as refined, I like the use of xpac. Kifaru bags seem to be either full featured with a whole bunch of Molle I wouldn’t need (read: heavy) or they are minimalistic but still not that light (muskeg).

S.Clancy

WKR
you are getting a ton of advice from people who have never packed out an elk or took a backcountry trip. They just regurgitate what they read or their experience hiking with sand bags. I would take most of what you read with a healthy dose of skepticism.
I've packed out 2 dzn + animals with the Exo, so I'll chime in. It's the pack that fit me best. I'm still on their 1st Gen frame, never upgraded, but I understand there K2 and K3 packs frames are better, which would be hard to do. Carried loads up to ~130 lbs, which is miserable but nothing broke, so that's a win in my book. I actually just had to have the lumbar pad replaced because it got smashed down over the years of packing weight. I've had some zippers separate, the lumbar pad smushed, but they've replaced everything at zero cost to me, and quickly. People will say, "Buy a company where stuff doesn't break blah blah blah." I'm telling you, if you use your gear hard enough, shit breaks sometimes. I threw my pack loaded with sheds 150' down a mountain into a creek so I could down climb the slope and nothing broke. I recommend them wholeheartedly.

Vids

WKR
A lot of it is going to be about fit. Even if you can't try three out at the same time, I recommend just buying what you like best and use it awhile. Using it is the only way to know if it works for your body type.

My first "real" pack was a Kifaru, after a year or two I decided I didn't like it. Too stiff, felt like I had a piece of 3/4" plywood strapped to my back with no give whatsoever. I did have an issue with the stitching on the waist belt tearing out once when I was two miles in, luckily I had a needle and some thread with to make something work. They were great about fixing it, so not really a huge complaint. Sometimes things happen. I think they make a good product, but beware of the fanboys on here as they can be over the top.

After the Kifaru I decided to try an Exo. This was about 5 years ago. I prefer hauling meat between the bag and frame, which Kifaru (at that point) wasn't really offering. I chose Exo because I liked the bag layout a lot. Turns out the pack fits me great, and it's still going strong for me so that's what I kept. I've had over 100lb in it numerous times and nothing has broken.

I saw a post above that many people will make recommendations without ever having actually packed an animal. I don't know if that's true or not, but the two packs mentioned above have hauled out a combined 7 elk, a mountain goat, and countless sand bags to the tops of the mountains in the Denver foothills. Good luck with your search!

OP
H
I've packed out 2 dzn + animals with the Exo, so I'll chime in. It's the pack that fit me best. I'm still on their 1st Gen frame, never upgraded, but I understand there K2 and K3 packs frames are better, which would be hard to do. Carried loads up to ~130 lbs, which is miserable but nothing broke, so that's a win in my book. I actually just had to have the lumbar pad replaced because it got smashed down over the years of packing weight. I've had some zippers separate, the lumbar pad smushed, but they've replaced everything at zero cost to me, and quickly. People will say, "Buy a company where stuff doesn't break blah blah blah." I'm telling you, if you use your gear hard enough, shit breaks sometimes. I threw my pack loaded with sheds 150' down a mountain into a creek so I could down climb the slope and nothing broke. I recommend them wholeheartedly.

Yes... I like it. Thanks for the info.

A lot of it is going to be about fit. Even if you can't try three out at the same time, I recommend just buying what you like best and use it awhile. Using it is the only way to know if it works for your body type.

My first "real" pack was a Kifaru, after a year or two I decided I didn't like it. Too stiff, felt like I had a piece of 3/4" plywood strapped to my back with no give whatsoever. I did have an issue with the stitching on the waist belt tearing out once when I was two miles in, luckily I had a needle and some thread with to make something work. They were great about fixing it, so not really a huge complaint. Sometimes things happen. I think they make a good product, but beware of the fanboys on here as they can be over the top.

After the Kifaru I decided to try an Exo. This was about 5 years ago. I prefer hauling meat between the bag and frame, which Kifaru (at that point) wasn't really offering. I chose Exo because I liked the bag layout a lot. Turns out the pack fits me great, and it's still going strong for me so that's what I kept. I've had over 100lb in it numerous times and nothing has broken.

I saw a post above that many people will make recommendations without ever having actually packed an animal. I don't know if that's true or not, but the two packs mentioned above have hauled out a combined 7 elk, a mountain goat, and countless sand bags to the tops of the mountains in the Denver foothills. Good luck with your search!

Very helpful! While kifaru may be good with heavy hauling, I know I like a bit of flexibility with heavy loads and light loads and don't want to feel stiff as a board on my back.

I think I'll have to have one more beer and purchase the exo 6400. It's what I felt best about from the start and still feel good about it. Hopefully it will fit well so I don't have to go through more than one!

I have only packed one bull out with a kifaru, so I will not comment on them with my little experience (I had no complaints on that pack job) I had an EXO for about 2 years, it was a great pack. hauled heavy loads well, and in hunting mode it was the most comfortable pack I have worn.

went to mystery ranch for awhile, have nothing bad to say about them, and I still love my pop up for it's niche. for a full size pack I wanted to try something else, and after a lot of research, I ended up buying a seek outside peregrine. I have worn it about 10 days now with varying loads, and they really are nice packs. they are very well constructed and well thought out, I don't think quality or durability will be an issue vs any other top shelf pack.

packs are like boots, one that fits me perfect may not fit you well, and the other way around. I don't think i'm gonna keep my SO pack, but it has nothing to do with the pack. I really wish it fit me well, because they seem like the best case scenario and feature rich with a ton of adjustability. they are a really nice pack that's more feature rich and adjustable than any, but it just doesn't fit my body, I wish it did, because it's a sweet pack.

I think i'm going back to EXO because of all of the packs I have put on, they fit me best. you have a good lineup, all great packs in the top of the industry, from there it comes down to features and fit.... fit's a tough one because there is only one way to find out.

OP
H
I pulled the trigger on the Exo 6400. If the fit isn't optimal, I'll go with SO as my second choice. Now to wait until it gets here.

I have owned them ALL IN MULTIPLE. Pushing close to 30 packs (horrible OCD)! I currently use a SG X-CURVE. By far the most carry comfortable to date!!! HOWEVER, WE ARE ALL DIFFERENT SIZES AND BUILDS. All high end packs are made very well. SO.... the choice is first appeal. Then comes comfort.

My go to opinion is narrow it down to the two you like most. Try both for a week or two. RETURN THE RUNNER UP!! IT WILL BE THE BEST $20 IN RETURN SHIPPING YOU EVER SPENT!!

Jim

Vids

WKR
I pulled the trigger on the Exo 6400. If the fit isn't optimal, I'll go with SO as my second choice. Now to wait until it gets here.

Awesome! I can say that for certain, you will appreciate having a high level pack (no matter which one). I honestly don't know a thing about the Exo 6400, since my Exo pack is still a first generation pack (I think a 3500). The biggest thing is get out there and use it, a lot, and then decide. Figure out if the pockets/zippers/packing meat/fit/ whatever? work well for you and then make a decision a year from now. You can always sell it to someone else and not lose much money. Good luck and good hunting to you!

OP
H
My exo 6400 came in last week and I got to use it on a short backpacking trip over the weekend. I must say the quality is definitely there and the pack is incredibly comfortable. I think it will certainly last me 20+ years with regular hard use. I think my load was probably between 60-70 pounds and went a total of around 8 or so miles and several thousand feet of vertical.

Fit: great. I'm 5'10", 155lbs, with I would say an average curve in my back. I ended up taking out the lumbar shim even though I bought the extra! It was very comfortable to me without any shim. I'll have to play around with one or two of the shims in it. There is definitely a little bit of play between the belt and pack, almost as if there is a pivot point where the belt and bag connects, allowing more freedom of movement. I really like this feature, but I also wish there were some load stabilizer straps connecting the bottom of the frame to the belt so that I could make it more rigid if I feel the need to do so. The belt is incredibly comfortable. I had that sucker cranked down very tightly, and it was still comfortable. I never felt the need to retighten the straps. I still need to get some adjustments dialed in to make the shoulder straps more comfortable. The pack wasn't really putting any weight on the tops of my shoulders, but something was making my shoulders slightly sore and I'm pretty sure it's just an adjustment issue.

Functionality - The bag is really easy to adjust after getting an idea of where all the straps are. I had the shoulder straps adjusted on the frame to fit my back height within a few minutes of taking the pack out of the box. The The pockets are all laid our very well and a surprise on the tall side pockets is that there's a cinch cord that will allow you to close off the top of the pocket. The pack is freakin huge. I put my 5'2" 105lb wife in it. But, it will pack down incredibly well to the point that I wouldn't hesitate to take it out for a day, which is good because I plan to use it for everything.

So far, I absolutely love this pack and plan to keep it. Which is good, because a pack of powdered soup mix burst in the bottom of the pack :LOL:

Another thing to note: When I was adjusting the shoulder strap attachment points on the frame, I noticed the velcro portion that is sewn to the frame (that the shoulder straps mount to) was about 1/8" off to one side from being centered between the seams on the frame material. I didn't notice any ill effects, but emailed Exo anyway to ask if that was within normal sewing tolerances and if there was anything to be concerned about, etc. They replied very quickly and made it clear that even though it's within normal variance and I didn't notice any issues in wearing it, they would make it right if I had any issues with it.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I got an Exo K2 as my first high end pack as I liked the lay out. It fit me well, so when I needed a second pack I got a K3. I would love to try SO, SG, Barney's, and Kifaru, but at the price of a pack and the time under it required to really get a feel for it, I figured I'd just stick with what worked for me.

Now if only I could have the same luck with rifles.

The Exo does compress well. I had taken to using my K2 5500 as a day pack, even though I have an Osprey 36L. Now that I have a K3 3200 I use it as a day pack instead. I loved my K2, but the K3 frame has proven to be even better.

I had one bar tack unstitch on the K2 (I had loned it to a friend for a 2 week hunt and it came back with the issue, so I'm not sure how it happened) it was a quick hand sewing job to fix that I could have done in the field. No other durability issues.

jscheil

FNG
Anyone with an Exo pack they HAVEN’T liked? Seems like it is the route I’d like to go, but wondering if I’m missing anything...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShreckIII

FNG
I tried an Exo K2 and didn't like it. I couldn't get it to fit right and it didn't feel quite stable enough for me. The load lifter straps weren't all that high on the frame either. I went with SO and absolutely love it but each pack fits everybody differently.

I tried an Exo K2 and didn't like it. I couldn't get it to fit right and it didn't feel quite stable enough for me. The load lifter straps weren't all that high on the frame either. I went with SO and absolutely love it but each pack fits everybody differently.

Lanky bastard.

The downside to the EXO has been the shorter frames when heavy. The newer frames can be extended which is nice for hauling heavy, personally I don't want a frame over 24" for hunting, I'm happy to have more when hauling meat out tho. That's where the frame extensions that SO has are nice. EXO K3 is now doing something similar.

Fan boy out.

E2Eastman

FNG
A lot of this comes down to pocket configuration and packing configuration, as all these packs are great packs, but those are the major differences. I have used an EXO for the past five years and have packed a couple dozen animals with it. I absolutely love it. I like the pocket configuration because it allows me to put my spotter and tripod in the side pockets which allow for easy access. The front stretchy pouch is great for rain gear, and allows for easy access. I also love the ability to have camp in my bag and a deer or elk meat in the meat hauling portion at the same time.

Rokbar

WKR
I'm sort of torn between the SO Lanner and the Exo K3 4800. Wanting a pack for up to 4/5 nights backpacking/hunting. I'm leaning toward the Lanner. I really like the full access zipper.

stan_wa

Lil-Rokslider
After trying a number of packs, the SO has worked best for carrying heavy loads for me. I've used it a number of times with weight in excess of 100 pounds (measured on a scale) and it worked far better for me then the other frames I've tried (including Kifaru). They are light years better in day pack mode, I barely even notice that I'm wearing it.

I'm not a huge fan of how their bags attach, but I've modified mine to make them work better for me. I also really wish they would come out with a better small organization/compression panel that was waterproof. The talon is way too small and the Merlin isn't waterproof. I'm in the process of designing a small bag for Pods8 to sew for me, but I'd rather buy something off the shelf. Other then those 2 complaints, the SO system is pretty solid and I chose it after buying/returning a number of different frames.

The Merlin comes in a water proof / water resistant material i think it’s called spectragrid. Spoke to Seek on the phone about this earlier this week.

tdot

WKR
The Merlin comes in a water proof / water resistant material i think it’s called spectragrid. Spoke to Seek on the phone about this earlier this week.

Thanks. I was harassing Seek about that bag for months, and received one of the first SpectraGrid Merlin's. I've used it on one hunt and stuff was a touch damp inside after a rain storm. Though definitely not as wet as a typical bag. I need to seam seal it and then actually water test it. It's definitely a nice little bag, but I'm still looking forward to the custom one I've ordered from Pods8.