Help me decide on a Tipi/tarp shelter

Ok so I went to us history class when I was younger so it’s not like the concept of a tipi is new to me, however single pole, light weight and easy to use are all new bits of info for me.

I knew I’d want a different tent to pack into the back country and honestly with the addition of our son to the family we need a new camping tent also. The more I read the more I see what seems like a lot of guys will carry an unnecessary amount of shelter in the form of a tarp/tipi/mid because it’s lighter than a less spacious tent and can house more than just one person and gear if the party size changes.

So most of the time this will be my hunting shelter which at this point will more than probably be 2-3 guys (unless my buddy buys a tent that he’s so exited about that he refuses to cut dead weight to lighten the pack in.) As my son gets older I’m sure he’ll be joining me more and more but in the meantime aside from hunting I’d like to use it at least a 1/2 dozen times a year for family camping, enter criteria #2 it’ll be easier to sell my wife on this being the family tent also if I have a nest of some sort.

I’ve read enough of the shelter threads that I’ll be getting a stove jack installed regardless of weather or not I think I’ll use it, (Colorado and Alaska are both on the radar for the next couple of years, weather or not those trips both pan out and or need a stove is still to be seen but, additional my wife is of the cold blood warm heart type so I may find use for a stove much closer to home) the only problem with those threads is evertime I’ve settled on an option I find something else.

I’m not a weight junkie and generally I’ll be able to split with 1-2 other guys so the .00blah blah oz’s is less of a concern than the ability to sprawl out and not have stinky boots or breath in my face.

So that said what would you buy? I’ve looked at Cimmaron, Hexpeak XL, jimmy tarps, tarp tents, bear paw so there’s too many options.

I’ll probably keep the camp dome tent I’ve got and incourage my buddy to look at a packable self standings tent that can hold 2 plus gear so we have it as an option but, I’d like this to be my go to.

Intended uses, solo up to family camping (wife 2 year old and 3 small dogs), nest options for family configurations and stove able. So what would you buy?

sneaky

"DADDY"
Make sure SeekOutside Redcliff is on your list

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Unthank? Listen bud, you asked for tent/tipi recommendations that fit the criteria YOU listed, then I responded with one that fits those criteria AFTER you listed your picks that aren't going to realistically work for what you've described. From this point on you're on your own.

OP
Blacktail_Packer
My apologies sir, that was intended in sarcasm. Your comment does have me curious though, what’s not going to work about the options I’ve listed? Again, I didn’t mean anything by it, I have an incredibly sarcastic nature and do genuinely appreciate all the help I’ve already gotten from this forum.

Thanks Blacktail

Unthank? Listen bud, you asked for tent/tipi recommendations that fit the criteria YOU listed, then I responded with one that fits those criteria AFTER you listed your picks that aren't going to realistically work for what you've described. From this point on you're on your own.

Wiscgunner

Lil-Rokslider
I am in the same "boat" looking for a flexible shelter options. I have narrowed my brand of preference down to Seek Outside and the models down to the Cimarron or Redcliff. I mocked up my gear to give me a better idea of how it would fit my needs. After doing so I have decided to go with the Redcliff over the Cimarron as more times I will be with hunting partners or nephews than by myself. I have decided upon the Redlciff as it fits 2 like a palace and will do 3 with a stove or 4 without a stove while the Cimarron is a 1 person palace, 2 person tent or 3 people without stove (from my research). Also the Redcliff has the option of liners to reduce condensation.

The LBO system from SeekOutside is very flexible so I would recommend you look into that as it can be a 1 man and modular added on. It doesn't speak to me personally so it is not on my list.

If you have access to a drawing program, I would recommend doing a mock-up with your proposed gear/people in the shelter sizes you are considering. I use DeltaCAD as it is cheap and works for my profession. If you are not computer savvy, a large roll of painters tape and an open floor works well too.

Cimarron
View attachment 83809

Redcliff
View attachment 83808

More here
Seek Outside Dimensions - Redcliff vs Cimarron

OP
Blacktail_Packer
Your pic attachment didn’t work but, Thanks and I’ll look over the thread you linked.
And I’m more of a string or tape guy.

I have the Seek Outside 4 person tipi. Usually hunt two guys, and a stove, but occasionally it’s 3 guys.

What’s helped me out with space is a buddy bought the SO DST Tarp and we use it to keep packs, weapons, and extra firewood dry.

Set up with two trekking poles and stakes makes it super lightweight. I see that Luxe is also on your short list and they have a tarp or two as well.

Maybe consider it as it would give you some more space in the shelter for both hunting and family. Good luck!

OP
Blacktail_Packer
Thank you sir, that makes it a lot easier for those of us that are not good with the tech stuff.
I now see that I likely need to look at bigger tents.
Casned thanks for that.

Last edited:
Ive found a good rule of thumb is double the tent size. If your party is 2 get a 4 man. Party is 3 get room for 6 and so on , especially when using a stove.

Wiscgunner

Lil-Rokslider
I have seen some people use a smaller tipi but add to the outdoor storage work space with a tarp. NOTE: not my picture, saved or research purposed.

Cimarron with "front porch"

Redcliff with additional sleeping pod

YouTube

Last edited:
OP
Blacktail_Packer
Did some more digging around and discovered live2hunt and now I’m wondering about his Teton...

But the porch awning and sleeping pod ideas do definitely seem to expand on the space....