Help me decide on Tarptent Double Rainbow

COOPDUCK

FNG
I have been in the market for a lightweight backpacking tent for last month or so, but have been looking mostly at options from REI, Marmot, and Big Agnes. Tents like the 2P Copper Spur and Fly Creek. I am doing a backpack hunt end of October where some snow is a good possibility, but for the most part the tent will be used during fair weather months. I recently came across a very lightly used Tarptent double rainbow with factory glued seams, and the liner to help with condensation. They are asking $300. I’m a traditional guy, and really envisioned buying a traditional tent from a major manufacturer. Am I going to be disappointed with this tent if I buy it, and is $300 a fair price? How will this tent do with snow or wind loading? I am scared about the condensation issues I read about, and also that the bathtub floor seems low to the ground. I live in pnw, so rain is in my future.

Apollo117

WKR
You're already aware of the moisture issue. I'll point out some pros and cons of my experience with Dyneema tents (Tarptent) vs Silnylon (Big Agnes and other).

Pros of Dyneema fabric
* Sheds wind better. This fabric was made for competitive sail boat racing, so it handles wind very well.
* Actually repels water and doesn't absorb it.
* More durable except for abrasion resistance.

Cons of Dyneema fabric
* Very loud in the wind.
* Condensation issues.
* Can be difficult to patch.

I'm not thinking very hard, but I'm trying to come up with Pros for Silnylon and I'm drawing a blank. Maybe it's a pro that it's more quiet in the wind.

Cons of Silnylon fabric
* Retains moisture. If it rains and the rain fly gets wet, then you're carrying a heavy, soaked rain fly on the outside of your pack.
* The fabric stretches over time.

A benefit of most Dyneema tents is most are not free standing and require poles to set them up. These poles are generally stronger in the snow than the shock cord poles found with most Silnylon tents. Another benefit of most Dyneema tents is when raining, the rain fly can be set up first and the inner netting can be set up underneath the rain fly so it won't get wet.

As you can tell, I'm leaning towards the Tarptent Double Rainbow. Dyneema tents are for everyone, but for $300 I think it's worth figuring out if a Dyneema tent is for you.

Sorry for the formatting. I'm on mobile.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I don't think the double Rainbow he's talking about is Dyneema. Just a silnylon version factory seam sealed. Unless I'm missing where he said DCF, I'm pretty sure he's talking about silnylon with the condensation liner included. A DCF version of that tent is considerably more expensive. Unless he's lucked into someone selling a DCF version at less than half price.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
C

COOPDUCK

FNG
I don't think the double Rainbow he's talking about is Dyneema. Just a silnylon version factory seam sealed. Unless I'm missing where he said DCF, I'm pretty sure he's talking about silnylon with the condensation liner included. A DCF version of that tent is considerably more expensive. Unless he's lucked into someone selling a DCF version at less than half price.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

yes you are correct. I got confused by that post and actually went back and verified. Yes I am talking the silnylon version, factory sealed, and with the add in condensation liner.

Apollo117

WKR
Please disregard my post about Dyneema. I was excited that you found a killer deal on the Dyneema Tarptent Double Rainbow.

It being Silnylon changes things. I would definitely suggest the Big Agnes Copper Spur 2P. I've slept close to 150 nights in my 2019 Big Agnes Copper Spur. It's held up to high wind, rain, and light snow. My only complaint is the rain fly fabric has stretched, but I kind of expect that to happen with as much as I have used it.

Please disregard my post about Dyneema. I was excited that you found a killer deal on the Dyneema Tarptent Double Rainbow.

It being Silnylon changes things. I would definitely suggest the Big Agnes Copper Spur 2P. I've slept close to 150 nights in my 2019 Big Agnes Copper Spur. It's held up to high wind, rain, and light snow. My only complaint is the rain fly fabric has stretched, but I kind of expect that to happen with as much as I have used it.
I would concur, if weight isn't your #1 concern, the BA Copper Spur is the best all around nylon tent available. Tarptent does make nice DCF tents though.

$300 is not much of a discount, but it is less $ for a better tent than any 2 person BA tent you will get.

Add the Durston XMid2 to the list, those run $280 I believe and it was designed to improve upon the already awesome TT Stratospire 2.

Lando

WKR
The double rainbow relies on an aluminum arch pole going across the top for stability. I've never used one, but I wouldn't think that it would be super stable in a cross wind or with a snow load.

The XMid-2 that has been mentioned by a couple people uses trekking poles as a support, which are likely to be a bit more sturdy than an aluminum arch pole. Another benefit of the XMid-2 is that in winter/late fall, you can ditch the nest and use it floorless.

The x-mid is a awesome trekking pole tent. The only bummer with it is the amount of real estate needed to pitch. Great value none the less.

I have a buddy that has the Double Rainbow Li in DCF. It’s stable and you can even set it up with trekking poles laid horizontal on both ends. It’s huge inside compared to my HMG Dirigo 2. We were both up in 50mph gusts a month ago and his tent was fine - actually it was rock solid.

But you can get a brand new Tarptent Double Rainbow in Silnylon for only $29 more. That doesn’t sound like much of a deal to me. Good luck!

ELKOHUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
I have the double. It has mesh all the way around the bottom and full mesh doors. When the wind blows you are SOL. I should've kept my BA that was solid walls on bottom with venting at the top.

It is a bit more than $29 more for a new one - the factory seam sealing is $35 and then you have shipping and tax. But yea not a screaming deal.

If you are able to qualify on ExpertVoice, the Big Agnes options become a lot more enticing (40% off). Otherwise they are overpriced for what they are.

Correction ... it’s $46.73 more for a brand new one shipped. And he could seam seal it himself with an $7.50 tube of Gear Aid Silnet Seam Sealer ...

6AB13B02-2456-4ED7-816D-87079633F96D.jpeg

Rizzy

WKR
I wouldn’t recommend an ultralight tent for an October hunt in the Rocky Mountains where you expect snow. My tarptent is way under built for those conditions and I take my Hilleberg Niak, or teepe/stove for those hunts

OP
C

COOPDUCK

FNG
Thanks for the feedback. I have tried to knock a few bucks off. Will keep looking for a 2p Copper spur or similar in the meantime. I missed out on a good deal for one last week.

Jeremyc_1999

Lil-Rokslider
I like my double rainbow tarp tent, but it could be chilly in October depending on weather conditions. I’ve taken it in October, but then I’ve also left it and taken my ti goat vertex in October

JDZ

WKR
I've been using a Tarptent Double Rainbow for 4 years now, and it was well used when I got it. I was very skeptical of going with a non-freestanding, non-traditional tent from a niche manufacturer. I was just looking at tents the other day, and I'm pretty sure if this one ever quit working, I'd be ordering a new one from Tarptent.

To qualify, I have no experience with bomb-proof options like Hilleberg, etc. But Hilleberg weighs 2 to 4 times what this tent weighs. Nobody would dispute Hilleberg and Tarptent have two different uses.

I have compared my Double Rainbow to many ultralight options, comparable in weight and price. I've used it in very high winds, 50+ mph, and it needs no guy wires in solid ground. Even is loose soil, I've never used guy wires. Maybe an extra line from the stake to a rock or tree.

I've used it in snow, and it holds up. Last year's late-Oct elk hunt saw 6 inches of wet heavy snow on the night before the season opened, and it was fine. 4 inches of snow in November and I was cozy while my friend's BA Fly Creek 1 looked like a bivy sack crumpled over the top of him. The problem with snow is that the top of the door is over the inside of the floor and you have to be careful.

One person made a point on wind going thru the tent, and that is valid. I have had an issue with that and a cold, windy night, will be cold. The newer models have a little deeper bathtub, but not much.

I've considered getting the inner liner, but I am just real careful about not touching my sleeping bag or jacket to the inside of the roof/ends if condensation is bad. The newer models are a little wider at the top, and I wish mine was wider. Sliding the pole through the tube the entire length of the tent body is a pain, as is removing it.

Beckjhong

WKR
I've been using a Tarptent Double Rainbow for 4 years now, and it was well used when I got it. I was very skeptical of going with a non-freestanding, non-traditional tent from a niche manufacturer. I was just looking at tents the other day, and I'm pretty sure if this one ever quit working, I'd be ordering a new one from Tarptent.

To qualify, I have no experience with bomb-proof options like Hilleberg, etc. But Hilleberg weighs 2 to 4 times what this tent weighs. Nobody would dispute Hilleberg and Tarptent have two different uses.

I have compared my Double Rainbow to many ultralight options, comparable in weight and price. I've used it in very high winds, 50+ mph, and it needs no guy wires in solid ground. Even is loose soil, I've never used guy wires. Maybe an extra line from the stake to a rock or tree.

I've used it in snow, and it holds up. Last year's late-Oct elk hunt saw 6 inches of wet heavy snow on the night before the season opened, and it was fine. 4 inches of snow in November and I was cozy while my friend's BA Fly Creek 1 looked like a bivy sack crumpled over the top of him. The problem with snow is that the top of the door is over the inside of the floor and you have to be careful.

One person made a point on wind going thru the tent, and that is valid. I have had an issue with that and a cold, windy night, will be cold. The newer models have a little deeper bathtub, but not much.

I've considered getting the inner liner, but I am just real careful about not touching my sleeping bag or jacket to the inside of the roof/ends if condensation is bad. The newer models are a little wider at the top, and I wish mine was wider. Sliding the pole through the tube the entire length of the tent body is a pain, as is removing it.

Just picked one up used—encouraging to hear and correlates what I’ve heard elsewhere about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk