Help me decide, used copper spur hv ul2 vs new x-mid 2

Hi guys, I'm looking for my first backpacking tent. I've found a used copper spur hv ul2 for around 300. I know many on hear love the copper spur. I like that it is free standing and for the last couple months this was the tent I was planning on getting. Recently I've seen the reviews on the x-mid 2 and thought that if I were buying new I would go this route. My biggest concerns are the durability of the copper spur and then getting used to using trekking poles for the x-mid 2, I hadn't really ever planned on using a trekking pole tent before. My initial thoughts is that they would not be as sturdy as a free standing tent but I'm guessing that probably isn't an issue.

Anyone want to weigh in on this. Also since the x-mid is not in stock does anyone know what the MSRP on it was? I think I saw somewhere that it was listed at 300.

Thanks

Jimbob

WKR
Good chance the trekking pole tent is sturdier than the copper spur. My eolus and golite hex 3 have been through some serious mountain storms above tree line.

A trekking pole is not likely to fail in wind or even snow load. Some of those 3 season tents fold in half in high winds and if the poles fails then good luck.

I'm not saying the copper spur will fail I'm just saying that it will probably fail before the xmid. Just my thoughts though.

Either is a great way to go imho. I enjoy the free standing tent when its rocky and getting stakes in may be difficult. However, my trekking pole shelter is a little lighter but plenty sturdy. They both have there place.

OP
G
Thanks guys, looks like the copper spur has since sold so I'm gonna keep waiting for the x-mid 2

FlyingDutchman

Lil-Rokslider
Pros and cons for you...I have the x-mid 2p and have some freestanding tents like the big agnes. The main advantage of the X-mid is the ability to use the trekking poles which you may have on the pack anyway. You could also buy some adjustable poles for it, if you don't want to use the trekking poles. The advantage of the freestanding or semi-freestanding is that you don't have to rely on stakes and guy outs to hold the tent up. You also typically have a smaller footprint for a freestanding tent so easier to find pitch locations. The X-mid 2p takes up some room so you have to have a fairly large spot to pitch it. I've never really found that to be a big issue though. The x-mid packs up crazy small, pitches quickly and is light for a double walled poly shelter for a great price. Without tent poles the x-mids pack up to a size smaller than a lightweight sleeping bag so they can fit horizontally in your pack which is also really nice. Good luck with your decision.