Help me decide which way to go!

snowplow

WKR
Hey dudes,

I have a TiGoat Vertex 5 Tipi
(TiGoat Vertex5)

I also have a Borah Gear Snowyside Bivy
(Gear Review: Borah Gear Snowyside Bivy – Max, The Cyclist)

I got the bivy because it weights about as much as my tyvek groundcloth.

So my end goal is to have a basecamp setup capable of a stove and a lightweight minimal bivy style setup for the western washington rain forest.

In my experience tipis go up a bit faster than tarps. And with no thought about guy lines so doing it in the dark is a snap. I am considering using a small super light tipi for my bivy rig for that reason.

However, I am wondering if the tipis can handle random bivy spots on hillsides well? I have no experience with that but it seems to me that on uneven ground a tipi and tarp would suck down to the ground just the same.

How about tipis on hillsides if you cant find a flat spot? Could you just pitch the tipi like normal and have the center pole just angled weird but perpendicular to the ground? It would look super goofy but I don't really see why it wouldn't work out? On the other hand a supertarp or whatnot you could just adjust the sides to make up for the hill and put your trekking pole straight up and down. So you would look cooler for sure, but I'm not sure if you really gain anything.

What do you guys think? Is a tarp the only way to fly for a bivy, or could an ultralight tipi be better?

(Keep in mind I'm in the rainforest so I need cover from the rain not the sun. I dont need the tarp for shade ever. There is always shade around with all the trees)

There are times and locations when a hammock is the only solution. Flat ground is unnecessary. You hang above the mud. A tarp overhead and you're go to in no times once you learn the ropes.

OP
S

snowplow

WKR
I get that. Thats what lve been doing actually. Im trying to transition to the ground.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

I don't see any reason you couldn't pitch a tipi on a slope.Obviously its easier to find a spot for a tipi with a smaller foot print.In fact on the peninsula it seems like the only flat relatively clear spot I ever find are old log landings or sections of abandoned road.I always carry one 8" steel spike to make a pilot hole for tent stakes because it usually compressed ,crushed rock right below the moss on top

I wouldn’t worry so much about the tipi on a slope as much as finding that one small level area to sleep. You figure the tipi doesn’t know whether your 100% flat as long as all the corners are stacked down and guided out. It’s just attached to the surface. You’re gonna noticed real quick if you’re not level and keep sliding around the tipi all night long if you’re not level.

OP
S

snowplow

WKR
Well good, thats what l was thinking too. So that brings up the next question. For rainy wa (not shade from sun) is there any reason l should get a tarp shelter over a tipi?

For reference my TiGoat Vertex 5 tipi weight the same as a supertarp and annex.

Well good, thats what l was thinking too. So that brings up the next question. For rainy wa (not shade from sun) is there any reason l should get a tarp shelter over a tipi?

For reference my TiGoat Vertex 5 tipi weight the same as a supertarp and annex.

Very late answer: a tarp can be easier to manage condensation, ie it is less enclosed even pitched in a "storm mode" and has better options for opening up. If the wind changes direction (as it often does) you could get real wet though.

Question for you: how do you like that vertex? Did you get the screen door?

Skickat från min G8142 via Tapatalk

OP
S

snowplow

WKR
Very late answer: a tarp can be easier to manage condensation, ie it is less enclosed even pitched in a "storm mode" and has better options for opening up. If the wind changes direction (as it often does) you could get real wet though.

Question for you: how do you like that vertex? Did you get the screen door?

I dont have the screen door but l absolutely love this tipi. I cant understand why you dont hear people using these much. They just barely weigh more than a tarp and really are so much better in most ways. They are taller than most. Have the option to vent the top. They are super fast to setup. 3 stakes and its standing. And you can link trekking poles for support. Im hoping to get a wifi stove for it next year.

I ended up getting the bearpaw lagarita as my best choice for a tarp. I still am not sure if its worth it. Its prob only 3-4 oz lighter and not nearly as livable. Not even close.

I dont have the screen door but l absolutely love this tipi. I cant understand why you dont hear people using these much. They just barely weigh more than a tarp and really are so much better in most ways. They are taller than most. Have the option to vent the top. They are super fast to setup. 3 stakes and its standing. And you can link trekking poles for support. Im hoping to get a wifi stove for it next year.

I ended up getting the bearpaw lagarita as my best choice for a tarp. I still am not sure if its worth it. Its prob only 3-4 oz lighter and not nearly as livable. Not even close.

Thanks for the info! The whole tarp concept is quite stuck in my head and I dont have. Tipi yet, typically an A-frame kinda guy. However, like you say, the tipi is more liveable. I really need to try it. I could see where both could come in handy, maybe for types of terrain and availability of a suitable footprint. For cold weather especially, I am thinking tipi, and that vertex looks pretty sweet.