Help me decide

Right now looking at these two scopes

Nightforce atacr - 4-20x50 F1 mil-c
Nightforce NX8 - 4-32x50 F1 mil-c

Rings-
Looking at nightforce ultralight. Also, would I need the low set of rings since I have a 20mm integrated rail on the action and a 50mm objective? Are there any other set of rings worth looking at?

This will go on a 300 prc I’m having chambered right now. Bartlein m24 carbon barrel 26”, manners eh1 stock, defiance anti x action, Hawkins hunter bottom metal and 3 round flush mag, ti pro 3 muzzle brake. Gun without scope or rings should finish in the 7.5 to 7.75 pound range. I will add an atlas bipod. This is a hunting gun and will be used for just that.

Pros and cons between both scopes from anyone familiar with them. Is the 34mm tube noticeably different over the 30 mm tube? Clarity and low light comparison? Is the atacr worth giving up the 34 magnification over the 20?

Thanks!
Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

gelton

WKR
No experience with either but have gone down the same rabbit hole.

IMO - the 8x magnification vs 5 is a nonissue for me, in fact, I am not sure why Nightforce went in that direction with the NX8.

Weight-wise, the NX8 wins.

Eye relief wise, and from what I have read, glass wise, the Atacr wins.

From what I have heard the eye box is a bit finicky with the NX8 which drove me to consider other options since the 8x magnification isn't a big selling point for me. Especially if you have to spend extra seconds behind the scope finding the eye box.

In fact, as far as Nightforce goes, I think the NXS would probably be the best option.

But again, I am sure those that have spent time behind both will chime in.

following. I am torn between the Nightforce ATACR 4-16x42mm and Nightforce NX8 4-32x50 for my new 300prc. leaning towards the ATACR for durability but I will probably change my mind a few more times.

OP
ddavis_1313
following. I am torn between the Nightforce ATACR 4-16x42mm and Nightforce NX8 4-32x50 for my new 300prc. leaning towards the ATACR for durability but I will probably change my mind a few more times.

Hate to do this to you but a buddy of mine threw another option out. ZCO 4-20x50. Supposed to be great quality. But it’s getting up there on price and it weighs more than the nx8

Hate to do this to you but a buddy of mine threw another option out. ZCO 4-20x50. Supposed to be great quality. But it’s getting up there on price and it weighs more than the nx8

man I had just gotten down to 2..I was contemplating just going all in with the tangent theta but changed my mind after reading Form's review. that ZCO is a good looking scope. I don't think hawkins makes rings for a 36mm scope though

WRO

WKR
Knock on wood, I've been running kahles k525 and 318s without issue for years, I love their eyeboxes. And yes I've ran nxs and actars..

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

gelton

WKR

Yup this is one that entered my thought process as well. Only heard good things about them so far.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
IMO, you should go down one size on magnification in the NX8. No way you "need" all that magnification to make shots. But, personal preference is king. I run a 3.6-18 Leupold MK5 on my hunting rifles. I shoot most often at 12-15 power even at long range hunting. Some of the guys I know that are serious shooters and long range enthusiasts run the 2.5 to 20 NX8 on their typical hunting rifles. It doesn't hold them back. More than one use a Leupold like I do. They could buy a better scope if they wanted to, but it is good enough. With mirage and other issues, you can't often use all the magnification the highest end scopes give you. But, it can be useful at times. I just would prefer to carry a dedicated spotter like the Kowa 553 if I need to look with that magnification.

I think that the 2.5-20 / 3/6-18 sort of range is the sweet spot for magnification top to bottom of what a hunter would use. The eye box is an issue on the NX8 if the rifle fit isn't worked out. But if you put on higher rings and fit the rifle perfectly for you, then eyebox shouldn't be an issue. It is my opinion that many eyebox issues are a result of poor fit and not enough testing different positions during scope mounting. It took me a while to really learn proper fit of a rifle, how to get behind a rifle repeatedly, and the mechanics to make it repeatable. At this point, all my buddies come to my house to mount their scopes until they go through it once or twice, then they know the process to go through.

The only significant differences in the larger tubes is more adjustment in your turrets and weight. It is the objective size and glass quality that determine light transmission rates. If you aren't shooting ELR with your rifle, having the extra turret adjustment isn't material. If you've never ran out of adjustment before, you probably won't in the future. The 20 moa base keeps extra adjustment for you.

IMO, there is a point of diminishing returns for hunting scopes. At the MK5/NX8 type levels, you squeeze out most of the gains per dollar unless you are able to utilize that little bit of added clarity and quality in the Alpha glass like ZCO for two or three times as much. They are amazing though. If you can afford it and want one, go for one of them.

OP
ddavis_1313
IMO, you should go down one size on magnification in the NX8. No way you "need" all that magnification to make shots. But, personal preference is king. I run a 3.6-18 Leupold MK5 on my hunting rifles. I shoot most often at 12-15 power even at long range hunting. Some of the guys I know that are serious shooters and long range enthusiasts run the 2.5 to 20 NX8 on their typical hunting rifles. It doesn't hold them back. More than one use a Leupold like I do. They could buy a better scope if they wanted to, but it is good enough. With mirage and other issues, you can't often use all the magnification the highest end scopes give you. But, it can be useful at times. I just would prefer to carry a dedicated spotter like the Kowa 553 if I need to look with that magnification.

I think that the 2.5-20 / 3/6-18 sort of range is the sweet spot for magnification top to bottom of what a hunter would use. The eye box is an issue on the NX8 if the rifle fit isn't worked out. But if you put on higher rings and fit the rifle perfectly for you, then eyebox shouldn't be an issue. It is my opinion that many eyebox issues are a result of poor fit and not enough testing different positions during scope mounting. It took me a while to really learn proper fit of a rifle, how to get behind a rifle repeatedly, and the mechanics to make it repeatable. At this point, all my buddies come to my house to mount their scopes until they go through it once or twice, then they know the process to go through.

The only significant differences in the larger tubes is more adjustment in your turrets and weight. It is the objective size and glass quality that determine light transmission rates. If you aren't shooting ELR with your rifle, having the extra turret adjustment isn't material. If you've never ran out of adjustment before, you probably won't in the future. The 20 moa base keeps extra adjustment for you.

IMO, there is a point of diminishing returns for hunting scopes. At the MK5/NX8 type levels, you squeeze out most of the gains per dollar unless you are able to utilize that little bit of added clarity and quality in the Alpha glass like ZCO for two or three times as much. They are amazing though. If you can afford it and want one, go for one of them.

Great info! I appreciate it. The only reason for 4-32 would be to zoom in on game at range to really be able to look the animal over prior to taking the shot. Or zoom in on steel to see groups or hits better. But most likely will be shooting in the 18-22 mag range at distance. I have a vortex 24-48 (I believe) spotter that I can run as well but sometimes I have it and sometimes I leave it. Depends on how my legs are feeling and how many days I’ve been hiking. Lol.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Great info! I appreciate it. The only reason for 4-32 would be to zoom in on game at range to really be able to look the animal over prior to taking the shot. Or zoom in on steel to see groups or hits better. But most likely will be shooting in the 18-22 mag range at distance. I have a vortex 24-48 (I believe) spotter that I can run as well but sometimes I have it and sometimes I leave it. Depends on how my legs are feeling and how many days I’ve been hiking. Lol.

That makes sense. Its a judgment call. My experience even with really good glass is that unless we are talking large objective and swaro type glass, it is really hard to see clearly enough at the high magnification. And, by the time mirage hits so much of the power is useless when it turns muddy. I didn't find high power glass as important and clarity and weight overall for the way I use it.

My rationale? I'd rather go as light as possible and get as clear as glass as possible. Typically, smaller lenses and fewer lenses in a visual system make the image clearer and provide better light transmission. In the end, that is more valuable to me than magnification for examining the animal that is further than I am willing to hike, lol. And, if I am too tired to carry the glass, I am definitely going to be too tired to go cross country the two miles that I can see, which would be 5 miles up and down. It is totally dependent on specifics of the hunt and style of hunt.

I just went through this with same nx8 vs the ATACR 4-16x42. I just got the NX8 in the mail today. Either way Eurooptic has both on demo for really hard to beat prices.

Honestly was having over analysis paralysis and just had to pick one. Everywhere I looked the tracking and reliability were just as good on NX8(or close enough for my purposes). Main reason is I found a good deal on F2 NX8 and could only find F1 ATACR. If I preferred F1 scopes I would of went with the ATACR as it seems a little more useable for hunting situations. I think with the x8 magnification range of the F1 NX you’d lose some usability of the reticle at the front and back end of mag range.

Last edited: