Help Me Design A Weekly Workout Schedule

CiK01

WKR
Hey all! Need some help. I have been doing some walking (40min at incline) and running (30min at no incline) for a long time now. I want to add a body weight routine to it. There are so many bodyweight exercises out there and not sure how I can take them and turn them into a daily routine. I like routines.

If I was to build a daily routine, how should I lump the exercises? Should I do reps or AMRAP or something else? Any tips or guidance on what you do? I would like a set of exercises for Monday, another set for Tuesday and on and on.....because...routine. :) Or maybe a routine I alternate days.

Thanks for any help.

Tony

elkguide

WKR
I do a weight routine three days a week and I run/walk four days a week alternating and take one day a week off. As I close in on hunting (July) I start wearing a pack with weight as I run/walk. It's worked for me for the last 20 years and I find plenty of much younger guys not having the stamina that I have.

Slim Jim

WKR
Everyone is different but I like to run a 5k a day and lift weights for 45 minutes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
CiK01

CiK01

WKR

Thanks all!

I found Reddit's Recommended Routine. It is along the same bodyweight principles. I like it because I travel a lot for work and doing it anywhere seems possible. If anybody has any history with it, let me know.

Personally, I feel its important, to about once a week put your hunting boots on and take a walk or hike with you backpack or day pack on, even with just 25 pounds in it. Your body gets used to your equipment, and your equipment conforms to your body.
Thanks.

Jon Boy

WKR
If you can handle simple, but boring I do this on a regular business especially when getting back into working out

Push up
Air squat
Pullup
Air lunge
Dip
Crunch
Calf raise
Leg lifts

Figure out how many reps work for you and do as many sets as you want or can. If you want higher intensity AMRAP it. You can substitute jumping exercises such as burpees or jumping squats as well.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Netherman

WKR
I'm in the same boat and curious if anyone has experience with the P90x3, T25, Insanity type workouts. Worth it?

I've done a sprint tri and half marathon and think I've got my cardio needs down, but have never really done any weight/strength training. I don't have a gym membership and spend the majority of my winters travelling for work. 30 min workouts in the hotel before work sounds ideal (I like routines too). From my research P90x3 seems to be the most strength biased of the three but still seems to make cardio a major focus.

I'm in the same boat and curious if anyone has experience with the P90x3, T25, Insanity type workouts. Worth it?

I've done a sprint tri and half marathon and think I've got my cardio needs down, but have never really done any weight/strength training. I don't have a gym membership and spend the majority of my winters travelling for work. 30 min workouts in the hotel before work sounds ideal (I like routines too). From my research P90x3 seems to be the most strength biased of the three but still seems to make cardio a major focus.

Not sure about P90X3 but the original P90X has a really good leg day routine that uses body weight and added dumbbell weight once you work your way up. They have a good HIIT plyometric workout as well that is all body weight.

Jon Boy

WKR
Here's a list of exercises I pull from for my daily work outs. I had to write them down other wise I'll do the same circuit over and over. I built the box from scrap on the job site and the use the sand bag for PT hikes.

I'll pull 3-8 work outs from the list per work out depending on what I'm trying to do.
I'm more of a full body work out type of person so for example I'll do 2 upper body, 2 lower body, 2 core exercises per circuit. Some prefer to work on just upper or just lower and rotate days.

For high intensity I'll do an AMRAP or EMOM for the circuit and set a time limit I think will be challenging.

Throw in some runs and hikes and you'll be set.

I think for 90% of people gym memberships are a waste of money and a huge waste of time (which in my world I value more than money) By the time you drive to the gym work out and drive home you could of got a better workout in, a shower and ate dinner, for free.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
e2a005b9f1921a9207b8db179eba0a21.jpg

zach2173

FNG
Thanks all!

I found Reddit's Recommended Routine. It is along the same bodyweight principles. I like it because I travel a lot for work and doing it anywhere seems possible. If anybody has any history with it, let me know.
Stick with Reddit's bodyweight routine, it's decent. You're referring to the recommended routine on bodyweightfitness subreddit correct?

EYJONAS!

FNG
Enroll in the mountain tough fitness program and get it done. They have an online course and whether your a local in their town (Bozeman, Mt) or somewhere else and have and access minimal gym equipment you can do it. It's an ass kicker to say the least, I wanted to get away from the maintaining program then "hitting hard 3 months before" this way in my mind I'm ready going into summer and that's just gonna push me that much farther ahead for going into 2019 ready and better than ever. You'll be glad you did it.

*zap*

WKR
It is hard to know your strengths and weaknesses without being able to evaluate your fitness level but for bodyweight exercises I would recommend a callisthenic based program.

Full/deep bodyweight squats, pull up variations, dips and hanging core exercises would be a good start. The best channel for these type (and more) is here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZIIRX8rkNjVpP-oLMHpeDw

Find your deficiencies and strengthen them. He explains some great mobility exercises in one of his videos. Any ring/trx band exercises are very good. Another good resource for that kind of program is:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMQzIsi7kwz1_xZjqNhz9kw/videos

Good luck.

Sportsman

Lil-Rokslider
It has to be a routine that can fit your age, condition, body type, etc. And build in rest, rest, and rest.

I've always had a challenge mixing weight training and running. I prefer running and it's as easy as heading out the door. In the gym, I prefer exercises that work large muscle groups: dead lifts, pull-ups, bench press, overhead press, dips, etc. Hill training and speed work on running helps as well.

I have to be more careful in the gym than running and my body responds quickly to running farther and faster but gains are a chore with weights. Different body types require different training. I have struggled to fit a leg day in with running but lean to lighter weights or body weight for legs. I want to start hiking with weight if I can fit it in my schedule.

EDIT: I run 3-4 miles on alternate days with weight training in between. At least one day, maybe two off per week. Older I get, the more I listen to my body.

Last edited: