Help me figure out what arrows

KBC

WKR
Hello there. I'm trying to figure out what arrows to use for my new Axius ultra but I'm just getting into the rabbit hole of arrow building. I don't know all the brands for all the components so some help is needed.

Here's the bow specs;
Hoyt Axius Ultra 60-70 lb maxed out. I will borrow a scale from work and measure to see where I am exactly and update here.
29.5" DL

Here's what I'm looking for;
475-500 grain total arrow weight
125 grain fixed blade heads
I'd prefer to keep it at least 29" long so the BHs just clear the riser but I could go shorter if I had to.

I've been fooling around with qSpine on my phone and it looks like I'm right in the middle of a 300 spine and a 250ish spine if I used an insert anywhere from 25-50 grains and it's putting me a little over 500 grains with the heavier spine.

What brand of arrows should I be looking at? Mostly played with the numbers using the 5mm easton axis arrows. I really like the idea of also using an outsert or collar or sleeve or whatever you call them. The Iron will solids sure look like nice heads but are $$$$$$$$, any other heads I should be looking at?

I'd like to fletch my own but a fletching jig is more money on top but 4 smaller fletchings are appealing to help clear my beard I won't be shaving off anytime soon ;)

I like to tinker so assume I will get myself set up with all the tools.

Thanks dudes!

406unltd

WKR
A 28.5” 300 BE rampage, heavy 4fletch, half out, 150Head, will get you close

28.5” 300 VAP, heavy 4fletch, their alum 50g insert, and 150 head.

In the end it’s up to you . Lots of great options

jmav58

WKR
^ agree with the above. Another I'd mention is Black Eagle Deep Impact's if you go .300 spine but you'll probably be shorter than 29" so maybe look at X Impacts at .250 spine and a little longer? Maybe 29.5-29.75".

Beendare

WKR
I like the 5mm shafts

Don't be under spined- if you plan on using it as a hunting arrow...a little over spined is fine and tunes well.

Square the ends of your carbons- they are crummy right off the saw- and that additional step makes for a good tight seating of BH's- in effect making them stronger and straighter at the same time.

I don't use the collars anymore on 5mm Axis shafts and durability is excellent.

_______

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Yep ^^^. I've got plenty of Axis 300's cut to 30" with the regular HIT's and 125's and they come in right at 495gr with 20gr of fletching. At 29" they'd be right near 485gr depending on what vanes you use.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Throw on a 50 grain brass insert and drop to a 250 spine arrow and you’re in good shape.

Zac

WKR
You need to do some research to see what it is specifically that you want. I'd see what components you like and then base your diameter choice off of that. You already know how much weight you want to run in the front so choosing spine shouldn't be a problem. Most people including myself find themselves with a 5mm after trying out alot of options. However there are alot of benefits to going with micros. Also there are excellent deals to be had by going with a .246. Goldtip and now Easton offer very appealing high tolerance .246 shafts.

OP
K

KBC

WKR
Thanks for the suggestions guys I will start playing with some more options in the calculator.

Castronova

Lil-Rokslider
Hoyt Rx3 70# 29.5 draw using Easton axis 300’s cut 28” nock to carbon, 4 max stealths, 50g insert, 125 grain head. Near perfect on qSpine. Shoot great. Around 514 grain I believe.

OP
K

KBC

WKR
This is starting to make my head spin...Playing around with the pinwheel app on my phone I got;
5mm Axis match 260
29"
125 grain head
25 grain insert (thinking about the Iron will HIT 15 grain insert and 10 grain impact collar)
Puts me just over 500 grains but the needle is in the orange on the stiffer side. If I go to a 300 spine it's in the orange on the weaker side. I have it set for hunting arrows. Anyone have any advice? Am I over thinking this?

The axis arrows are probably easier for me to get local so I was thinking of getting a couple to play around with and if they didn't work I could get a couple more in a different spine.

I’d do RIP TKOs. Love them. Have another dozen coming in sometime hopefully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zac

WKR
You can buy single shafts from Lancaster. They will also cut them and install inserts if you need. I tried a bunch of different shafts that way. Dudley gets away with a 300 Axis with a monster draw length so it can be done. However he tops it with a Rage, probably want the 260 for fixed blade. Too stiff is usually just fine.

Novy

FNG
The hoyt axius is not radical cam system and likes the weaker of the 2 spines if you land on the line on spine charts. 29" axis 300 with regular insert will just be under 500 with 125gr head (depending on fletching). Vap tko 300 is another great arrow.

Reactions: KBC
OP
K

KBC

WKR
Thanks guys. I’m going to pick up some 5mm axis in 300 spine tomorrow and try them out.

KineKilla

WKR
You'll be fine with 300's as long as you don't get carried away with extreme foc building.

I like the Axis 300's cut to 29-28.5", 50gr brass HIT inserts and a 100gr broad head. Instead of iron will collars I use Easton broadhead adapters when shooting broadheads. They only add about 5grains to the total arrow weight and can be removed when practicing with field points.

Zac

WKR
Does the broadhead adapter ring add durability, or is it just for broadhead alignment?

KyleR1985

WKR
I'd go with a 300 spine in arrow of your choosing cut as short as you can, 100 grain ss ethics half out, and whatever 100-150gr head you like. This will put you in your weight range. I wouldn't overthink the brand of arrow, pick whatever you like. If you must go 29", you're probably right on the borderline of going to a stiffer arrow. You can probably still use 300 spine with 200-225 up front. 250 grains up front may tip you into a 250 spine.

I shot 30"/70lb with 28.5"C2C VAP RIP TKO Elites 300 spine with 225-250 grains up front with no issue - in fact, these have been the easiest to set up and tune I've had in a while. I am trying some new stuff out, and with 275 up front, and a total arrow length about 1" longer, 300 doesn't work and I have to use a .250.

Follow the advice of squaring the ends of your arrows. Nock tune.

TX_Diver

WKR
Lancaster sells single shafts.

Order some axis and some rampages and see what you like. Or settle on an arrow and order 3 of each spine.

I'm using the rampages w/ the HIT inserts this year. I don't like the black eagle half-outs as they eventually don't spin true.