Help me get started! Beginner backpack gear and tags

Kleos

Lil-Rokslider
Haha definitely good stuff and appreciate it man!

Are there any specific pieces of gear that you are all about? Besides the chair you already mentioned. Is there a certain stove that you prefer, pieces of your sleep system, pack, boots, filtration & hydration system etc. Anything that you have tried a few or researched a bunch and went with one that is really proving itself to you?

OR maybe a better question, any pieces that just didn't work out like you thought they would?

I know so much of this is personal preference but i like to have as much info and real world experience and information as I can before I make my first purchase and then tweak my set up more to me from there.
Part 1:

Stove: I had an MSR Whisperlite which is a bulletproof multi-fuel stove and works in any condition. However it is on the heavier side and can get a little messy. I switched to the MSR pocket rocket delux which is much lighter and much smaller profile and have had 0 issues so far.

Gore-tex: Unless you live somewhere that gets a ton of rain OR its snowy conditions you don't need Gore-tex everything. Especially boots. I only wear Gore-tex boots in the winter now and the reason is it takes FOREVER to dry which can make for a miserable trip. I always thought Gore-tex would keep me dry even in the pouring rain however rain finds its way in after time regardless and its just much harder to dry out after.

Sleep system:
-Sleeping pad- Nemo Tensor Insulated Sleeping Pad. One of the most comfortable sleeping pads I have ever slept on.

Sleeping Bag- Some people like to use quilts which saves a lot on weight. It makes sense because the down underneath of you that gets compressed doesn't really do much for you. But I just can't make it work. So I use a bag. A sleeping bag is one of the top 3 in your system so it's worth putting money into. I really like Western Mountaineering they make some incredible sleeping bags. Make sure the degree rating is much below what you expect to experience because typically a bag's rating is going to be what it can help you survive through but you won't be comfortable.

Don't wear constricting clothing when you get into your bag its counterproductive. If it's a really cold night heat up some water and put it in a Nalgene and stick that between your thighs in the sleeping bag.

Thermarest compressible camping pillow (NOT the one filled with air). A good night's sleep makes all the difference. I have tried many pillows/ stuffing my sleeping bag sack with clothes. This pillow weighs so little and compresses so well and I sleep like a baby.

Earplugs. At night mice sound like grizzly bears and wind sounds like your in the Blair witch project.

Tent: Big agnes / Nemo have some good brands.

Boots will be a personal thing but I love DannerTachyon. One of the lightest boots I have ever worn and feels like I am wearing next to nothing on my feet. I have bought 2 pairs so far and will still buy another pair. I do start to suffer a little when snow hits the ground as they have no insulation. I am still shopping a winter boot that is appealing to me.

Filtration - Sawyer Mini works great for me and I have had 0 issues over the last couple of years. Test this before you leave for your trip, last thing you want to do is be figuring out how to get it to work or find out its plugged.

Trekking poles are a game-changer if you have a Costco card usually once spring hits they have a cascade brand that works well.

Pack - I am still deciding on a hunting pack that I like.

This is what I can think of for now. I am sure there will be a part 2.

OP
Timberdonkey_059
Part 1:

Stove: I had an MSR Whisperlite which is a bulletproof multi-fuel stove and works in any condition. However it is on the heavier side and can get a little messy. I switched to the MSR pocket rocket delux which is much lighter and much smaller profile and have had 0 issues so far.

Gore-tex: Unless you live somewhere that gets a ton of rain OR its snowy conditions you don't need Gore-tex everything. Especially boots. I only wear Gore-tex boots in the winter now and the reason is it takes FOREVER to dry which can make for a miserable trip. I always thought Gore-tex would keep me dry even in the pouring rain however rain finds its way in after time regardless and its just much harder to dry out after.

Sleep system:
-Sleeping pad- Nemo Tensor Insulated Sleeping Pad. One of the most comfortable sleeping pads I have ever slept on.

Sleeping Bag- Some people like to use quilts which saves a lot on weight. It makes sense because the down underneath of you that gets compressed doesn't really do much for you. But I just can't make it work. So I use a bag. A sleeping bag is one of the top 3 in your system so it's worth putting money into. I really like Western Mountaineering they make some incredible sleeping bags. Make sure the degree rating is much below what you expect to experience because typically a bag's rating is going to be what it can help you survive through but you won't be comfortable.

Don't wear constricting clothing when you get into your bag its counterproductive. If it's a really cold night heat up some water and put it in a Nalgene and stick that between your thighs in the sleeping bag.

Thermarest compressible camping pillow (NOT the one filled with air). A good night's sleep makes all the difference. I have tried many pillows/ stuffing my sleeping bag sack with clothes. This pillow weighs so little and compresses so well and I sleep like a baby.

Earplugs. At night mice sound like grizzly bears and wind sounds like your in the Blair witch project.

Tent: Big agnes / Nemo have some good brands.

Boots will be a personal thing but I love DannerTachyon. One of the lightest boots I have ever worn and feels like I am wearing next to nothing on my feet. I have bought 2 pairs so far and will still buy another pair. I do start to suffer a little when snow hits the ground as they have no insulation. I am still shopping a winter boot that is appealing to me.

Filtration - Sawyer Mini works great for me and I have had 0 issues over the last couple of years. Test this before you leave for your trip, last thing you want to do is be figuring out how to get it to work or find out its plugged.

Trekking poles are a game-changer if you have a Costco card usually once spring hits they have a cascade brand that works well.

Pack - I am still deciding on a hunting pack that I like.

This is what I can think of for now. I am sure there will be a part 2.

Awesome stuff there and exactly the kind of input i am looking for! Thank you!

I know many people come on here and just ask what should I buy.... I just want to hear what people use and why, what they have use that got swapped out for something better for them and why it was better! I know so much of this is situational and personal preference. I already have a solid list that is narrowed down to a couple options in each category and this kind of input will help me decide which pieces to start with for myself and I fully expect to change things out over time as I dial in my own perfect kit.

Bring on as many parts as needed as you think about them lol.

Kleos

Lil-Rokslider
One of the first pieces of gear if you don't already have is a soft shell. I highly recommend Sitka's Jetstream soft shell jacket it. It has been one of my favorite pieces and is extremely versatile.

OP
Timberdonkey_059
One of the first pieces of gear if you don't already have is a soft shell. I highly recommend Sitka's Jetstream soft shell jacket it. It has been one of my favorite pieces and is extremely versatile.

I have got the clothing covered already as I totally re did my whitetail hunting clothing this year into a layering system that I could also use in the backcountry but that is about the only part of the gear list I have checked off so far lol Well besides my bow. That's dialed as well with a couple different arrow builds depending on which animal I go after.

SWOHTR

WKR
I have got the clothing covered already as I totally re did my whitetail hunting clothing this year into a layering system that I could also use in the backcountry but that is about the only part of the gear list I have checked off so far lol Well besides my bow. That's dialed as well with a couple different arrow builds depending on which animal I go after.
Don’t you know, your clothing system won’t work. WT camo is different than elk camo, wear the wrong one and it’ll be like you’re wearing blaze orange!

OP
Timberdonkey_059
Don’t you know, your clothing system won’t work. WT camo is different than elk camo, wear the wrong one and it’ll be like you’re wearing blaze orange!

Good thing its not typical WT camo... but thanks

JesseBYOE

FNG
Just subscribe to Randy Newberg on YouTube....he's made a video telling you exactly how to get every available tag in every state, he even breaks down what states to use as a backup plan when your main plan doesn't work out.

He's such a nice guy for doing that, it's really done wonders for the hunting in states that offer OTC opportunity to Non-res hunters.
Going to go check this out!