Help me get started! Beginner backpack gear and tags

ThisIsMyHandle

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been researching going out west solo for the last year. Every aspect is daunting. The only thing I have to add of substance is that camofire has been running deals on crispi boots everyday for the last week. Check it out to see if the model you want is there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In order , for me, your needs may vary, but generally speaking these are key items to focus on, as many have stated. Each person's list varies, but usually not much, dependent on what hunt and where and how long of course.

Pack/Boots- still haven't been able to separate which one is more critical to me. lol
Sleeping pad- a good one makes or breaks the trip comfort
Base layer- good stretchy merino bottoms and top
Rain gear top- I only pack a top, never use the bottoms
Chest rig- bino harness is often over looked, but a good one has space for everything you need for
Water System- decide if you want to carry the weight of a filled bladder, or the weight of filtration/pump, in a filter/steripen, nalgene bottle configuration. Just depends on water availability and food processing more than anything. Dehydrated meals take too much water from my nalgen, IMO, so I went with a MRE type meals, which require way less water needs.
lastly- your emergency needs. Like a INreach or SPOT etc.

Things that everyone uses- emergency kit, maps, on paper or phone, I don't trust the GPS watches for main use, but only as a redundant system. Lighting, charging batteries. I quit using AA, AAA years ago. Everything is now rechargeable off a battery bank of around 28,000. To me it's worth the weight, and yes they are heavier than desired.
I'm sure there are more, but this is close to what is needed as far as what to really look at. Avoid bad imitations to these items. A good sleeping bag is nice, but honestly, when you can just use a good budget
bag and a great pad for decent warmth protection and comfortability and sleep in clothing that is a place to save lot's of $$$.

Last edited:

zacattack

WKR
My brother and I are Midwestern Whitetail hunters looking to do our first backpack archery hunt next year. Obviously the physical fitness and preparedness are a given but looking for some advice from the seasoned guys!

1) What locations, hunts, tags do you recommend for getting our feet wet?

2) Without just spending a fortune on all the latest and greatest gear, what are some must haves and some items that you can skimp on price a bit to get started?

3) Any other advice you think is worth mentioning is appreciated!
Look into reduced prices tags, does, cows etc. i found on my first hunt that having a $35 pronghorn doe tag made my first western hunt experience a lot more enjoyable as I didn’t have the pressure of having dropped several hundred dollars on a tag

Boots, pack, sleeping bag and pad are the big ticket items where I would put money into first.

You can rent optics and such for pretty reasonable rates.

Don’t be afraid of used gear. I think my stuff is probably 50% used and 50% new.

If you’re near Lansing I could let you check out some of my gear.

OP
Timberdonkey_059
I’ve been researching going out west solo for the last year. Every aspect is daunting. The only thing I have to add of substance is that camofire has been running deals on crispi boots everyday for the last week. Check it out to see if the model you want is there.

Yup I have been keeping an eye on them. Unfortunately IDK which model I want yet until I get to try more on.

In order , for me, your needs may vary, but generally speaking these are key items to focus on, as many have stated. Each person's list varies, but usually not much, dependent on what hunt and where and how long of course.

Pack/Boots- still haven't been able to separate which one is more critical to me. lol
Sleeping pad- a good one makes or breaks the trip comfort
Base layer- good stretchy merino bottoms and top
Rain gear top- I only pack a top, never use the bottoms
Chest rig- bino harness is often over looked, but a good one has space for everything you need for
Water System- decide if you want to carry the weight of a filled bladder, or the weight of filtration/pump, in a filter/steripen, nalgene bottle configuration. Just depends on water availability and food processing more than anything. Dehydrated meals take too much water from my nalgen, IMO, so I went with a MRE type meals, which require way less water needs.
lastly- your emergency needs. Like a INreach or SPOT etc.

Things that everyone uses- emergency kit, maps, on paper or phone, I don't trust the GPS watches for main use, but only as a redundant system. Lighting, charging batteries. I quit using AA, AAA years ago. Everything is now rechargeable off a battery bank of around 28,000. To me it's worth the weight, and yes they are heavier than desired.
I'm sure there are more, but this is close to what is needed as far as what to really look at. Avoid bad imitations to these items. A good sleeping bag is nice, but honestly, when you can just use a good pad for decent warmth protection and comfortability and sleep in clothing that is a place to save lot's of $$$.

All really good info! Was wondering about exactly what you mentioned on the sleeping bags. Had my eye on the Kings Camo one that is on camofire today but know its definitely not one that get talked about much on here, but those are usually very pricey ones if they get discussed here.

OP
Timberdonkey_059
Look into reduced prices tags, does, cows etc. i found on my first hunt that having a $35 pronghorn doe tag made my first western hunt experience a lot more enjoyable as I didn’t have the pressure of having dropped several hundred dollars on a tag

Boots, pack, sleeping bag and pad are the big ticket items where I would put money into first.

You can rent optics and such for pretty reasonable rates.

Don’t be afraid of used gear. I think my stuff is probably 50% used and 50% new.

If you’re near Lansing I could let you check out some of my gear.

I'm a little over an hour from Lansing but would definitely love to come check some things out! I go through there frequently on my way to visit my parents and or for work.

bozeman

WKR
Crispi- start with the Colorado or Summits......just my .02.....order 2 or 3 pair, keep tags on, only wear inside....send back the ones you dont like (tell Black Ovis upfront your plan)......they have always been a GREAT group to work with.

also, leukotape...buy it, love it, hold on to it. :)

fatlander

WKR
Tags are what you make of it. Generally speaking OTC/easy to draw tags are tougher hunts. But if the state is selling tags, there are animals there. Look up point creep before you go wasting time and money down rabbit holes for units you’ll never catch.

Boots (and good socks), backpack, and sleep system is where to spend your money.

Don’t over think (overspend) the clothing too much, especially for early season: Moisture wicking base layer, light hiking pants, fleece hoodie, puffy jacket, and rain gear is about all you need for most applications in the early season. Doesn’t have to be hunting specific stuff… This September, I killed a 300” bull in a heavily pressured OTC unit wearing a 12 dollar target brand workout shirt.

ThisIsMyHandle

Lil-Rokslider
Yup I have been keeping an eye on them. Unfortunately IDK which model I want yet until I get to try more on.

I’ve narrowed down to the insulated Nevadas. But there’s nowhere even remotely close to me that sells crispi so I just have to hope for the best.

Mcnasty

FNG
Specific to high country dry environments, don't underestimate the sun and hydration. In Colorado you can get sun burn at altitude very quickly, I carry a small thing of dermatome that can be used on lips and face. The dry air contributes to dehydration and can crush you sinuses. For me personally I feel and perform much better in the mtns when well hydrated. I try to drink more water in the days leading up to a long trip and camel up at the car be for hitting the trail. Whenever possible plan to camp near water and hydrate more than you think you need. If I am solo I normally do purification tablets (taste nasty but ultra light) carry a single Nalgene (Gatorade bottle is lighter and works just as well but cant be filled with boiling water an place in you bag at night) and light weight bladder full or empty depending on availability of water. For group trips I go the filter route unless its cold enough to freeze it, then its extra fuel to boil water.

OP
Timberdonkey_059
Specific to high country dry environments, don't underestimate the sun and hydration. In Colorado you can get sun burn at altitude very quickly, I carry a small thing of dermatome that can be used on lips and face. The dry air contributes to dehydration and can crush you sinuses. For me personally I feel and perform much better in the mtns when well hydrated. I try to drink more water in the days leading up to a long trip and camel up at the car be for hitting the trail. Whenever possible plan to camp near water and hydrate more than you think you need. If I am solo I normally do purification tablets (taste nasty but ultra light) carry a single Nalgene (Gatorade bottle is lighter and works just as well but cant be filled with boiling water an place in you bag at night) and light weight bladder full or empty depending on availability of water. For group trips I go the filter route unless its cold enough to freeze it, then its extra fuel to boil water.

Great info! I am pretty good about being well hydrated all the time. People at work hate it because i piss all the time from all the water I drink.

I do need to play around with purification tabs vs filters to see what route I want to go. Do the tabs ADD a nasty flavor or is it that the water retains a nasty flavor from its nasty state with the tabs more than it does with a filter system? I'm not a Fiji water snob like my fiancé but I also want to be able to enjoy my water while out there.

Sun burn will definitely be a concern for me as I'm pretty pasty now that I work an office job. Plan on having long sleeves on most of the time but face, neck and ear protection will be something i have to consider covering or using a sunscreen of some sort.

OP
Timberdonkey_059
Tags are what you make of it. Generally speaking OTC/easy to draw tags are tougher hunts. But if the state is selling tags, there are animals there. Look up point creep before you go wasting time and money down rabbit holes for units you’ll never catch.

Boots (and good socks), backpack, and sleep system is where to spend your money.

Don’t over think (overspend) the clothing too much, especially for early season: Moisture wicking base layer, light hiking pants, fleece hoodie, puffy jacket, and rain gear is about all you need for most applications in the early season. Doesn’t have to be hunting specific stuff… This September, I killed a 300” bull in a heavily pressured OTC unit wearing a 12 dollar target brand workout shirt.

Thanks for the point creep tip, ill check it out.

I've got the clothing part covered already which is good and congrats on the Bull man!

def90

WKR
Gear.. there is no reason to pick Crispi or whatever over Salomon or something else you might buy at your local shoe store. In the end whatever fits your foot best and you can hike multiple miles in is the right boot. I spent the entire month of Sept other than the last two days of the season when it snowed wearing water shoes with heavy socks over them. Was blowing out mule deer that usually hear you a half mile away.

Packs.. a lot of options. Find one that is light and has the load carrying ability to pack out a bull elk hind quarter. As mentioned above, make sure it is properly fitted and adjusted, find someone local that knows how to adjust a pack, these are usually the obsessed ultralight backpacker guys. A properly adjusted and carried shitty pack is better than the best pack on the planet if it isn't set up for your body/frame.

As for picking an area, watch all of Randy Newbergs videos on e-scouting as well as go to each states wildlife division websites and read all of the previos years harvest and hunt statistics.

Lastly, spend your entire summer camping and using the gear that you have, you will find out pretty quick what is worth keeping and what is chaffe. Work out your meals as well, it's easy to buy a bunch of Mtn House to save weight only to get in the field and figure out that it's shit and that you wished you had packed a couple extra pounds and brought something else. Same goes with the sleeping situation, carrying an extra pound and getting a good nights sleep is better than saving weight and tossing and turning ir freezing all night. Water supply, think about that if you aren't car camping. All of this can and should be figured out before you leave for your hunt. Learn to embrace the suck. A flask with a nip of whiskey goes a long way but don't get wasted at altitude, you will regret it

Mcnasty

FNG
Great info! I am pretty good about being well hydrated all the time. People at work hate it because i piss all the time from all the water I drink.

I do need to play around with purification tabs vs filters to see what route I want to go. Do the tabs ADD a nasty flavor or is it that the water retains a nasty flavor from its nasty state with the tabs more than it does with a filter system? I'm not a Fiji water snob like my fiancé but I also want to be able to enjoy my water while out there.

Sun burn will definitely be a concern for me as I'm pretty pasty now that I work an office job. Plan on having long sleeves on most of the time but face, neck and ear protection will be something i have to consider covering or using a sunscreen of some sort.
Yes tabs add chemical flavor, you can counter some of this with some sort of electrolyte replenishment. AKA gatoraid or other sports mix. also it don't take out the chunks. If your only option is getting it from a funky puddle that elk have been wallowing in its going to be rough going no matter what you do, and filters will clog if its really bad and you cant clean them with fresh water, but if you are getting it from a good clean free flowing spot you have lots of options. I have tabs, knife, fire starter, head lamp in my bino harness so its on me even if I dump my pack and loose track of it (it happens) If you are solo, consider the katadyn Be Free, its light, easy and fast enough to filter water for one person and can be an extra bottle, but have tabs as a back up or in addition to filtering if you are not getting it from a good clean spot. For multiple people multiple days the Kata dyne hiker has been rock solid for me. used the same unit for over 20 years for multiple trips every year all over the place. I probably replace the filter probably 1-3 years depending on usage or if i have a particular bad water source on a trip and gaskets probably every 3-4 years. its a filter not a purifier so you may want to back up with tabs depending on water source. Also clean all the parts and the filters once back home in fresh water. in my experience filets work great if you put the time in to keep them clean and don't expect a miracle if your only option is from muddy puddles.

OP
Timberdonkey_059
Yes tabs add chemical flavor, you can counter some of this with some sort of electrolyte replenishment. AKA gatoraid or other sports mix. also it don't take out the chunks. If your only option is getting it from a funky puddle that elk have been wallowing in its going to be rough going no matter what you do, and filters will clog if its really bad and you cant clean them with fresh water, but if you are getting it from a good clean free flowing spot you have lots of options. I have tabs, knife, fire starter, head lamp in my bino harness so its on me even if I dump my pack and loose track of it (it happens) If you are solo, consider the katadyn Be Free, its light, easy and fast enough to filter water for one person and can be an extra bottle, but have tabs as a back up or in addition to filtering if you are not getting it from a good clean spot. For multiple people multiple days the Kata dyne hiker has been rock solid for me. used the same unit for over 20 years for multiple trips every year all over the place. I probably replace the filter probably 1-3 years depending on usage or if i have a particular bad water source on a trip and gaskets probably every 3-4 years. its a filter not a purifier so you may want to back up with tabs depending on water source. Also clean all the parts and the filters once back home in fresh water. in my experience filets work great if you put the time in to keep them clean and don't expect a miracle if your only option is from muddy puddles.
Awesome info, thank you!

Hoosker Doo

Lil-Rokslider
I've been hunting in the rockies for a long time, but started out as a kid with tennis shoes and a rifle. But I've been slowly outfitting myself to do more serious hikes and overnight hunts. I'm still using Danner boots and budget clothing, but after using mediocre packs for a few years, I finally went and bought a Stone Glacier pack used off Rokslide for around $500, and it's been a real game changer.
I got the Sky Talus 6900, so it's big enough I could pack in for a week, but when collapsed into bivy mode it's the same size as my Mystery ranch day pack but lighter. You can adjust the fit get it perfect for your body and it makes a huge difference, and makes loads feel lighter. Now I have a system that can work for any outing. Whether I'm loaded up for camping for 2 days, or heading out for a couple hours after work, my rifle, range finder, knives, gloves, tags, tripod, trekking poles, etc, etc are all in the same place and I know where to find and access them in a hurry if needed. The only difference is how much is loaded up in my main bag and whether I put the lid on top, or just stash it in the bag when I'm on a day hunt.
I've also packed several elk and the load shelf and one limit testing load that weighed over 140 lbs. with very little discomfort (besides the weight. Next time it will be 2 trips for sure). I've used the frame as a rest to shoot deer and elk, and can sling my rifle over the frame for quick access or wrap it in a weapon carrier.
Needless to say, a high quality multipurpose pack would be my recommendation. I saw a lot on the classifieds forum recently for around $500 from multiple brands that looked pretty dang good to me.

OP
Timberdonkey_059
I've been hunting in the rockies for a long time, but started out as a kid with tennis shoes and a rifle. But I've been slowly outfitting myself to do more serious hikes and overnight hunts. I'm still using Danner boots and budget clothing, but after using mediocre packs for a few years, I finally went and bought a Stone Glacier pack used off Rokslide for around $500, and it's been a real game changer.
I got the Sky Talus 6900, so it's big enough I could pack in for a week, but when collapsed into bivy mode it's the same size as my Mystery ranch day pack but lighter. You can adjust the fit get it perfect for your body and it makes a huge difference, and makes loads feel lighter. Now I have a system that can work for any outing. Whether I'm loaded up for camping for 2 days, or heading out for a couple hours after work, my rifle, range finder, knives, gloves, tags, tripod, trekking poles, etc, etc are all in the same place and I know where to find and access them in a hurry if needed. The only difference is how much is loaded up in my main bag and whether I put the lid on top, or just stash it in the bag when I'm on a day hunt.
I've also packed several elk and the load shelf and one limit testing load that weighed over 140 lbs. with very little discomfort (besides the weight. Next time it will be 2 trips for sure). I've used the frame as a rest to shoot deer and elk, and can sling my rifle over the frame for quick access or wrap it in a weapon carrier.
Needless to say, a high quality multipurpose pack would be my recommendation. I saw a lot on the classifieds forum recently for around $500 from multiple brands that looked pretty dang good to me.

Yup a pack is at the top of my list

Kleos

Lil-Rokslider
What's your experience with just backpacking?

Make sure your shot is dialed in and bring a rangefinder.

Know the terrain.

Bring a small medkit with important items: TQ, gauze, antihistamines, ibuprofen and Advil, loperamide, etc.

OP
Timberdonkey_059
What's your experience with just backpacking?

Make sure your shot is dialed in and bring a rangefinder.

Know the terrain.

Bring a small medkit with important items: TQ, gauze, antihistamines, ibuprofen and Advil, loperamide, etc.

I have some experience with backpack camping, not a ton and its been a few years but I do have some. I will be backpack camping throughout the spring and summer to get more experience and dial in my gear.

The shot is the least of my worries. I shoot competitively year round out to 80yds so ill just stick on that program and be confident.

The gear, choosing a tag, e-scouting and setting myself up for the most enjoyable trip is what I'm trying to learn about as much as I can.

Physical fitness isn't a huge concern but I know you cant be in too good of shape for this so I will be ramping that program up through the off season to be more geared towards back country hunting.

Kleos

Lil-Rokslider
I have some experience with backpack camping, not a ton and its been a few years but I do have some. I will be backpack camping throughout the spring and summer to get more experience and dial in my gear.

The shot is the least of my worries. I shoot competitively year round out to 80yds so ill just stick on that program and be confident.

The gear, choosing a tag, e-scouting and setting myself up for the most enjoyable trip is what I'm trying to learn about as much as I can.

Physical fitness isn't a huge concern but I know you cant be in too good of shape for this so I will be ramping that program up through the off season to be more geared towards back country hunting.
Sounds great, I have a lot of knowledge when it comes to backpack camping. I am still learning by trial and error the e-scouting and good locations to hunt.

Gear - if you have any specific questions I would be more than happy to help. I think spending a little more money to save on weight is always beneficial. Fine-tuning your setup in the summer is a great idea. You will learn what you like to have and what you don't ever use. Keep a list and constantly work on it.

Example: I carry an ultralight chair to me it's worth the weight but I shave weight in other areas.
Trekking poles are game-changing I recommend those.

Understanding the limitations of your gear, temp ranges of your clothing, and sleeping system, and being aware of the weather can be important. If your camping in the cold eat some fatty rich foods before you sleep, and you'll sleep warmer.

I wish I was able to help more with e-scouting, tags, and all hunting-related stuff but I am a rookie myself and my advice might not be good advice.

Anyways, I work nights and just heavily caffeinated myself so hopefully, there was some good information in my ramble.

OP
Timberdonkey_059
Sounds great, I have a lot of knowledge when it comes to backpack camping. I am still learning by trial and error the e-scouting and good locations to hunt.

Gear - if you have any specific questions I would be more than happy to help. I think spending a little more money to save on weight is always beneficial. Fine-tuning your setup in the summer is a great idea. You will learn what you like to have and what you don't ever use. Keep a list and constantly work on it.

Example: I carry an ultralight chair to me it's worth the weight but I shave weight in other areas.
Trekking poles are game-changing I recommend those.

Understanding the limitations of your gear, temp ranges of your clothing, and sleeping system, and being aware of the weather can be important. If your camping in the cold eat some fatty rich foods before you sleep, and you'll sleep warmer.

I wish I was able to help more with e-scouting, tags, and all hunting-related stuff but I am a rookie myself and my advice might not be good advice.

Anyways, I work nights and just heavily caffeinated myself so hopefully, there was some good information in my ramble.

Haha definitely good stuff and appreciate it man!

Are there any specific pieces of gear that you are all about? Besides the chair you already mentioned. Is there a certain stove that you prefer, pieces of your sleep system, pack, boots, filtration & hydration system etc. Anything that you have tried a few or researched a bunch and went with one that is really proving itself to you?

OR maybe a better question, any pieces that just didn't work out like you thought they would?

I know so much of this is personal preference but i like to have as much info and real world experience and information as I can before I make my first purchase and then tweak my set up more to me from there.