Help Me Get Started Bowhunting (Gear Recs)

raferalston

Lil-Rokslider
I've been deer hunting (Rifle) for a few years ago and would like to get into archery to take advantage of the longer seasons.

Are there any package deals out there that will get me most of the equipment needed to get going in this sport?

I used to shoot somewhat competitively so I know my way around a bow, even though this was probably 10+ years ago.

Here in MN the season goes till the end of the year so I'd like to get out for a week or two.

I have all the other gear First Lite camo etc and have some good spots to hunt.

I guess I'm just looking for package deals that will just get me into the field.

What price point should I be looking for? What is the minimum amount of equipment I need to acquire?

Not planing on taking a shot past 20-30 yards until I have a full of season of practice.

I do have a short range available to practice but time is of the essence.

Thanks y'all.

I'm 6'3 225 with decent strength if that matters.

I’m hunting here in MN too. I would just pick up a ready to hunt bow package like a PSE. Maybe have the shop swap out the rubber tube peep sight for a tie in one. Then just grab some some arrows that the proper spine and some good broadheads and you should be set up to hunt. Last thing would be a release. Index style would probably be easiest to get used to quickly. Carter, Scott, trufire all will work. Something with a trigger you can set the tension so you can squeeze it slowly.

If you need to get up in a tree that’s whole can of worms, any of the systems will work. A good safety harness would be a must. Anyways reach out if you have more questions, I can offer my opinion at least.

OP
R

raferalston

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks so much. Could you recommend a specific sub $500 package? There seems to be a lot of options.
I won't be in a tree. I like to mooch around even though it probably isn't the most effective technique.

Budget $1000 and buy a really nice used bow plus everything else you need. $500 - $650 will get you a $1000 bow that is a year or two old. Regular and brosdhead targets, nice sight, arrows, quiver, etc., will round out your kit.

If you really need to go cheaper, you can get perfectly good older used bows for as low as $200. My first compound was a PSE single cam. Bought it here for $200. Easy to tune and super accurate bow. More than enough to kill any deer.

20180809_165628.jpg

bsnedeker

WKR
Just to clarify, you haven't shot a bow in 10 years and you want to buy an off the shelf bow so you can hunt deer for the next 2 to 3 weeks?

If that is the case I would encourage you to slow your roll a bit and make plans to bow hunt next year. As an ethical hunter you owe it to the animals you are going to be shooting at to be proficient with your weapon. Just because you were good ten years ago doesn't mean you are good today. Just my advice obviously.

As far as bows I'd also look at used. You can find some sweet deals on full setups for around your price range that will be MUCH better than any new package you can get off the shelf. If you buy a cheap new bow you are probably going to find yourself upgrading in a season or two so I think it makes more sense to start with something you'll enjoy shooting.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Zac

WKR
If you are 6, 3' then there are literally zero options for sub 500 dollar package bows.

OP
R

raferalston

Lil-Rokslider
Well said Snedeker. I agree. The last thing I want to do is injure an animal and not be able to recover it. I appreciate the feedback.

OP
R

raferalston

Lil-Rokslider
Being tall as I am what would prevent me from finding something in my price range.

Do I need a custom fitting or something. Again, this is all new to me.

Thanks again...

OP
R

raferalston

Lil-Rokslider
Again, I will not be taking shots outside of 20-30 yards.(after a week of practice to make sure I can reliably hit my spots from that range.) I'm very cautious about taking ethical shots.

OP
R

raferalston

Lil-Rokslider
BTW. Has anyone noticed any good deals on the site or others to get me started? Got some Christmas cash burning a hole in my pocket. Thanks everyone.

Venom One

WKR
BTW. Has anyone noticed any good deals on the site or others to get me started? Got some Christmas cash burning a hole in my pocket. Thanks everyone.
Check Ebay. I got my current bow for 50% discount because it was a floor model without the box.

Agree with the guys above recommending a used bow that's a few years old - ~$500-600 is reasonable. Get a quality quiver. A Whisker Biscuit rest is hard to beat for the price. I wouldn't spend less than $100 for a sight.

Spending some time scouring the internet for deals on used, quality stuff is the way to go IMO.

Last edited:
Being tall as I am what would prevent me from finding something in my price range.

Do I need a custom fitting or something. Again, this is all new to me.

Thanks again...
Most RTH packages are only 30” draw length. Do you know what yours is?

Reactions: Zac
I've been deer hunting (Rifle) for a few years ago and would like to get into archery to take advantage of the longer seasons.

Are there any package deals out there that will get me most of the equipment needed to get going in this sport?

I used to shoot somewhat competitively so I know my way around a bow, even though this was probably 10+ years ago.

Here in MN the season goes till the end of the year so I'd like to get out for a week or two.

I have all the other gear First Lite camo etc and have some good spots to hunt.

I guess I'm just looking for package deals that will just get me into the field.

What price point should I be looking for? What is the minimum amount of equipment I need to acquire?

Not planing on taking a shot past 20-30 yards until I have a full of season of practice.

I do have a short range available to practice but time is of the essence.

Thanks y'all.

I'm 6'3 225 with decent strength if that matters.
I would buy this off the classifieds.

Attachments

• 918631AC-C614-447C-A1EA-C98E17DD643C.png
    918631AC-C614-447C-A1EA-C98E17DD643C.png
    585.6 KB · Views: 33

Maki35

WKR
Do you know/ remember your draw length? draw weight?
IDK, at 6'3" many bows may be too small for you. I recommend you stop into a bow shop to get measured and see what they have to offer.
Are you looking for a compound bow?
With a compound you will need: sights, peep, arrow rest, arrows, quiver, stabilizer(maybe), silencers.

A week of practice to hunt? In a week you haven’t figured out how to shoot constantly. If you hunt then you know if this is not okay. There are options for you but none that will make you safe in woods. Even 20 yards is not ethical in this time frame.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zac

Rob960

Lil-Rokslider
I’m hunting here in MN too. I would just pick up a ready to hunt bow package like a PSE. Maybe have the shop swap out the rubber tube peep sight for a tie in one. Then just grab some some arrows that the proper spine and some good broadheads and you should be set up to hunt. Last thing would be a release. Index style would probably be easiest to get used to quickly. Carter, Scott, trufire all will work. Something with a trigger you can set the tension so you can squeeze it slowly.

If you need to get up in a tree that’s whole can of worms, any of the systems will work. A good safety harness would be a must. Anyways reach out if you have more questions, I can offer my opinion at least.
I agree wit the PSE RTH packages. Back in 2016 I bought a PSE Surge shot it quite a while and hunted with it. Eventually put a Tru Glo Carbon Hybrid sight on it and when a new string wasin order had a new ABB Premium cable and string set installed.

I am 6'1" and have a 29.5" draw. as others have said, get your draw length checked first and that will let you know where you need to look.