Help me pick a bag

Blackdirt Cowboy

Lil-Rokslider
I need to find a sleeping bag as I’m gearing up for my first elk hunt. Most of my hunts will be late season rifle hunts due to my kids activity schedules. Most hunts will be late October through early December. I need something that’s light and packable since I plan on hiking in and camping. I’ll need a long bag as I’m 6’3”.

I don’t know what temp rating to get. I guess I sleep warm, because I run my ceiling fan every night no matter the weather and ave to stick my feet out from under the covers to avoid overheating. But I am from Texas, and we’re not talking about extreme cold temperatures. I keep my nighttime bedroom temperature around 60° in the wintertime. Who makes a good, light bag, and what temp rating do I need to look at?

sneaky

"DADDY"
Well, you got options, especially if you tend to run hot. A 15 degree Western Mountaineering Badger is the go to bag for a lot of guys. Buy once cry once kind of deal. A quilt would give you flexibility for venting, but has to be paired with a good pad or it's a moot point. UGQ, EE, Hammock Gear, Katabatic, Nunatak, Jacks R Better, are just a few of the quilt manufacturers you can look at. If you want synthetic, that's a whole different deal. Slick bag from Kifaru is a favorite as well as the Lamina bags from Mountain Hardware.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

IMO you should focus on a sleep system, and read copious amounts of reviews on a product before buying it. Your sleeping pad will be an integral part of the equation and the warmer the pad the warmer it will make your bag feel. I don't have one yet but am looking at the Nemo Alpine pad. I have a couple of thermarest pads and they are good, but I'm looking for something even warmer so as to improve the comfort rating of my less warm bags. I have a Kuiu 0F that I don't like because it's super narrow. A Hyperlamina Torch (3F comfort rated 16F) Long that is okay, it does have a great footbox and ample shoulder room. The only problem is that it's heavy (3lb 8oz). I have a Western Mountaineering Alpinlite 20F and it is super light and packable, but I've had it go flat in wet situations before and it's made me shy away from down. Since having that down bag go flat I've purchased a Kifaru Backcountry Body Bag (dumb name) which is rated at 25F but is only comfortable for me to the mid 30s but the bag itself is bomb proof. That's the one that I'm hoping the Nemo pad can get me comfortable down to the mid 20s, time will tell on that. Hope this helps! Happy shopping!

OP
Blackdirt Cowboy

Blackdirt Cowboy

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys. I have a Therm-a-Rest neoair xlite that I picked up for a good deal here on Rokslide. I just have to figure out what to put on top of it. I have this fear that I won’t have enough warmth at night and I’ll be miserable. I really want to get this right the first time.

Thanks guys. I have a Therm-a-Rest neoair xlite that I picked up for a good deal here on Rokslide. I just have to figure out what to put on top of it. I have this fear that I won’t have enough warmth at night and I’ll be miserable. I really want to get this right the first time.
That's a great pad, I have one. With that Pad I get comfort in my bag with about a +10F bias (a ~20F bag down to ~30F). You'll probably want to modify as your night goes on. I usually fall asleep uncovered and end up zipped like a bug in a rug. If you'll be sleeping without a stove you'll probably want a -20F or 0F bag for those later dates.

sneaky

"DADDY"
For the late season hunts like you are looking at, I would suggest you keep an eye out for an Xtherm Max pad. 5.7 R value compared to 3.2 on the Xlite. I have an Xlite and had a too narrow Xtherm, and the Xtherm is much much warmer. Probably the lightest weight pad in that R value class.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
Blackdirt Cowboy

Blackdirt Cowboy

Lil-Rokslider
Good info guys. I was thinking a zero degree to 15 degree bag. I haven’t bought my tent setup yet, but was thinking a tipi with a stove. I’ve looked at the western mountaineering bags. They seem to be about the lightest weight for the warmth, but they’re pretty high dollar. Any other quality brands to look at?

for synthetic I love my kifaru slick bag A couple of my buddies have been running feathered friends for down with good success

Good info guys. I was thinking a zero degree to 15 degree bag. I haven’t bought my tent setup yet, but was thinking a tipi with a stove. I’ve looked at the western mountaineering bags. They seem to be about the lightest weight for the warmth, but they’re pretty high dollar. Any other quality brands to look at?
If you're going to get a down bag make it 800 or better fill. Don't cheat yourself with anything less.

*zap*

WKR
To add r value to any sleeping pad that you have already (if you do not mind the bulk) you can cut a piece of refletix for under it and add 10-15 degrees, guaranteed. Fold it in half and you have a big sit pad with extra room for keeping some gear next to you off the wet ground.

To add r value to any sleeping pad that you have already (if you do not mind the bulk) you can cut a piece of refletix for under it and add 10-15 degrees, guaranteed. Fold it in half and you have a big sit pad with extra room for keeping some gear next to you off the wet ground.
Good truck I'm going to have to try that

*zap*

WKR
Refletix also works well if you cut it for an additional insole for a boot, place under your current insole. You will feel the difference if sitting in cold conditions...many boots have no insulation under the foot.

jolemons

WKR
Sleeping in temps well below freezing in the backcountry is no joke. Better to have a warmer setup than you think is necessary IMO. Once you have experience, then you can fine tune. Good used gear won't depreciate much, so you can trade off later. I've been close to hypothermic in my youth in the backcountry solo and learned that lesson the hard way. For me, I can take a 15 degree WM and 6R pad down to about 25 with base layers and be comfortable.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I didn't lose any sleep over this but I've been thinking about it and I'm concerned. You're from Texas, have you ever camped in the cold let alone bivy camped in the cold? Are you going to be hunting/camping with an experienced partner? Rocky mountain weather can be very extreme and dangerous for an unprepared camp. I've been doing this for 30 years and I'm still learning, and occasionally doing dumb things.

Plan for the worst weather imaginable for the time frame. I had a -5 night in November a couple of years ago near Silverthorne. You'll need a minimum of a zero degree bag, and a true 4 season pad. Planning for a fire in your shelter is fine but don't count on that fire to keep you warm.

OP
Blackdirt Cowboy

Blackdirt Cowboy

Lil-Rokslider
Yep. I was thinking a zero degree bag. I’m not going with anyone experienced, but I have quite a bit of experience in the outdoors, just Texas outdoors. The mountains are a whole different ballgame. I’ll prolly camp close to the truck my first time, just to gain some experience. If it gets too cold, I’ll crawl in the pickup and run the heater to warm up. I have no intentions of becoming a popcicle.

Slawger42

FNG
UGQ Bandit quilt. I have the 10 degree and it’s awesome! Made in Michigan. Customizable and great service. I researched a lot of the top brand quilts, and after reading a lot of reviews about UGQ I am really glad I chose this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jolemons

WKR
I didn't lose any sleep over this but I've been thinking about it and I'm concerned. You're from Texas, have you ever camped in the cold let alone bivy camped in the cold? Are you going to be hunting/camping with an experienced partner? Rocky mountain weather can be very extreme and dangerous for an unprepared camp. I've been doing this for 30 years and I'm still learning, and occasionally doing dumb things.

Plan for the worst weather imaginable for the time frame. I had a -5 night in November a couple of years ago near Silverthorne. You'll need a minimum of a zero degree bag, and a true 4 season pad. Planning for a fire in your shelter is fine but don't count on that fire to keep you warm.
Agreed. You'll get lots of recommendations, but focus on quality 0 degree or warmer. If truck camping, you can take 2 lighter bags/quilts and layer.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Eric4

Lil-Rokslider
Don't be fooled by strictly temp ratings, as different manufacturers can have different opinions on what's comfort versus survival. Fill weight and power will give you a better idea of the warmth, as well as the dimensions of the bag. A sleeping bag that you're swimming inside, will lose heat quicker than a bag that fits you properly.

If the manufacturer doesn't provide the fill power, I'd be skeptical of their ratings.