Help Me Pick a Big Guy Bag

To be honest I am tired of looking and reading reviews...

I am 6'5", 250#, like/need a lot of room, fairly lightweight and will be used for backpacking occasionally. Wanting synthetic or some type of dry-down as it will be used in AK and other wetter areas. Probably a 0*-15* bag.... Right now I am using a Nemo -20* down and a 15* down Montbell Super Stretch but had a bad experience getting wet a couple years ago... hence the synthetic and possibly some type of treated down.

Currently I am leaning toward the SG Chiilkoot but looking for other options that may be cheaper.

Appreciate constructive advice!!

EastMT

WKR
Enlightened Equipment Convert. Took dad backpacking, he’s 6’5”, 275 railroader, ordered the tall/wide zero or 10 deg, was like 29 oz, packed small, warm, well made. Any color you want, width you want, height you want.

OP
actionshooter
Enlightened Equipment Convert. Took dad backpacking, he’s 6’5”, 275 railroader, ordered the tall/wide zero or 10 deg, was like 29 oz, packed small, warm, well made. Any color you want, width you want, height you want.
Always wondered about a quilt but have never tried one... I'll look at it. Thanks!

I am 6’3“ and 250#. +50“ shoulders. Almost exclusively a side sleeper. I searched around the last few years for a good synthetic 20* bag

- had a north face cats meow for decades, it is a good choice but their fit has gotten to slim for my shoulders. It works but there are Bette roptions
- I had a motbel *20 bag with the spiral stretch thing. It is OK.
- I bought a Nemo forte 20* bag. Good shoulder room. Awesome leg room.
- I bought an Apex EE convert. I thought this was going to be my one bag to rule them all. It was a bit underwhelming In some small ways. The zipper is tiny and can be a pain. The ”finished” size is shorter and narrower than stated because of the fill process (buy the longest and widest available) and it is bulkier and heavier than I hoped. No hood or head cover is something to keep in mind. The quilt function is great for venting On warm nights. I like it and use it but it wasn’t quite “perfect”.
- I picked up a *20 Kifaru slick bag in wide long. It is as heavy and bulky as the convert but also has plenty of room. Built like a tank. If I was doing a potentially wet trip, this would be my bag And unless someone comes out with a synthetic bag that has the same features for a lot less weight, I think My search is over.

if you would consider down, western mountaineering gets high marks from lots of bigger folks, but it is $$$

protip - check out bora bivy. Give him your measurements and a few extra weeks and he will make you up an awesome custom bivy. Also look at sea to summit ether lite pads. 4” of comfort is hard to bottom out even for the big boys. Not the lightest option but worth the weight IMO.

Lowg08

WKR
I’m not as big as you but a rather broad guy. 6’2” 230# and I need allot of room. I went with the big Agnes echo park 0*. It’s amazingly spacious and I don’t reach the bottom and it’s really roomy.

Savage99

WKR
I’m not as big as you but a rather broad guy. 6’2” 230# and I need allot of room. I went with the big Agnes echo park 0*. It’s amazingly spacious and I don’t reach the bottom and it’s really roomy.

I just bought one with an exped downmat 9, have you have the bag and a pad in cold weather yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lowg08

WKR
I actually used it the last weekend for two nights. With the BA q core bag at 5660’ elevation and coldest was 43* so far. Slept in my long Johns and sweated. Had to unzip too

Savage99

WKR
I actually used it the last weekend for two nights. With the BA q core bag at 5660’ elevation and coldest was 43* so far. Slept in my long Johns and sweated. Had to unzip too

That’s great. I’m 6’4” 200 and sleep on my side when I’m not tossing. I love the room at home when I’ve tried it. I’ll see some lower temps later next month on a scouting trip for second rifle.

Lowg08

WKR
That’s great. I’m 6’4” 200 and sleep on my side when I’m not tossing. I love the room at home when I’ve tried it. I’ll see some lower temps later next month on a scouting trip for second rifle.

I love it. It the most spacious bag ive ever used. I actually pack it in and I’ll pay the weight penalty for it

Big Agnes Park series

I’ve got Anvil park down and Whiskey Park synthetic… BOTH are 80” wide, coMpared to 72” wide bags

Recently added El Coyote XX-Wide Long quilt… and I’m thrilled with it so far

OP
actionshooter
Keep it coming guys.... lots of good ideas and looking at the recommendations. Going to be on Kodiak in November.

I am 6’4” and 245. About your size. I have a BA park series. Deer park I think in a down bag. I also use EE quilts. Extra wide long. Issue with the quilts is when its really cold and you want the bag over your head. This year I picked up a couple of Kifaru slick bags. Plenty roomy in the long wide (almost too long) and really warm and bomb proof. For Alaska, I’d go with the slick bag.

moxford

Lil-Rokslider
6'6 240 here.

Tall/wide Slick is good. HATE the velcro for the draft tube though. Wear a baselayer.

Exped 9 LW is good to go in the snow - multiple trips and never had an issue. (Lowest was -5 F.)

All are super heavy.

Fav bags are Montbell superstretch.

Kifaru comes out with a synth Montbell superstretch-style Long wide and I am buying 3.

Seriously.

Cheers,
-mox

rlmmarine

WKR
I just bought one with an exped downmat 9, have you have the bag and a pad in cold weather yet?

This is exactly what i use and its awesome. This year i bought the wedge and added it to the bag and i sleep better in itt than my bed at home

To be honest I am tired of looking and reading reviews...

I am 6'5", 250#, like/need a lot of room, fairly lightweight and will be used for backpacking occasionally. Wanting synthetic or some type of dry-down as it will be used in AK and other wetter areas. Probably a 0*-15* bag.... Right now I am using a Nemo -20* down and a 15* down Montbell Super Stretch but had a bad experience getting wet a couple years ago... hence the synthetic and possibly some type of treated down.

Currently I am leaning toward the SG Chiilkoot but looking for other options that may be cheaper.

Appreciate constructive advice!!
Here's a big question.. Are you using a sleeping bag liner?? I've never seen them for sale because I haven't looked and I made my own. A sleeping bag liner is like a sleep sack thats meant to absorb all your nightime body perspiration. In the morning you pull it out and hang out up to dry during the day. My current liner is made from fleece type synthetic so it adds a few more degrees of warmth to my bag too. I plan make a new one made of wool so its a little thinner

Nemo makes some super lightweight sleep pads that have built in insulation. Just bought one after using a Nemo pad that had removable insulation wrap on the outside and built in foot pump. The new one is roughly 3" thick air pad that takes like 2 minutes to inflate..

Also could check out Big Agnes.. They have a sleeping bag/pad system where the pad actually slips into the sleeping bag

Are you sleeping in a T-shirt and underwear or are you wearing a hat, base layer, socks and hoody to bed?? Wearing clothes to bed will keep you super warm and also help control moisture.

You and I are roughly the same size. I'm 1" shorter and 15# lighter I use a rectangular bag. Mummy bag is too constrictive. I really don't see issues with your existing setup unless you're totally skipping a sleep pad. You just need to get up off the ground and get a bag liner if you're having moisture issues

sneaky

"DADDY"
No sleeping bag thread asking for recommendations on synthetic is complete without mentioning Wiggy's bags. They are a go to system for Alaska.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
actionshooter
Here's a big question.. Are you using a sleeping bag liner?? I've never seen them for sale because I haven't looked and I made my own. A sleeping bag liner is like a sleep sack thats meant to absorb all your nightime body perspiration. In the morning you pull it out and hang out up to dry during the day. My current liner is made from fleece type synthetic so it adds a few more degrees of warmth to my bag too. I plan make a new one made of wool so its a little thinner

Nemo makes some super lightweight sleep pads that have built in insulation. Just bought one after using a Nemo pad that had removable insulation wrap on the outside and built in foot pump. The new one is roughly 3" thick air pad that takes like 2 minutes to inflate..

Also could check out Big Agnes.. They have a sleeping bag/pad system where the pad actually slips into the sleeping bag

Are you sleeping in a T-shirt and underwear or are you wearing a hat, base layer, socks and hoody to bed?? Wearing clothes to bed will keep you super warm and also help control moisture.

You and I are roughly the same size. I'm 1" shorter and 15# lighter I use a rectangular bag. Mummy bag is too constrictive. I really don't see issues with your existing setup unless you're totally skipping a sleep pad. You just need to get up off the ground and get a bag liner if you're having moisture issues
They aren't internal moisture issues... they are external.... you just can't get away from the wet. And to answer the questions.... yep sleep in merino have used a bag liner and do a lot.... I love down, but I am convinced there are certain environments that it just doesn't belong and staying in a tent with an inch of rain every day is one of those times.