Help Me Pick a Big Guy Bag

OP
actionshooter
6'6 240 here.

Tall/wide Slick is good. HATE the velcro for the draft tube though. Wear a baselayer.

Exped 9 LW is good to go in the snow - multiple trips and never had an issue. (Lowest was -5 F.)

All are super heavy.

Fav bags are Montbell superstretch.

Kifaru comes out with a synth Montbell superstretch-style Long wide and I am buying 3.

Seriously.

Cheers,
-mox
Yep... Exped downmat 9 is what I recommend to all my buddies, been using one for years and don't care how much it weighs... worth it.
Right now I am between the Slick and the Chilkoot...

arock

Lil-Rokslider
Yep... Exped downmat 9 is what I recommend to all my buddies, been using one for years and don't care how much it weighs... worth it.
Right now I am between the Slick and the Chilkoot...
I've got the Synmat Winter LW which is luxurious and its taken a lot of abuse without any sign of wear yet.

I think the difference between carrying 40lbs and 50lbs with a good pack is blown a bit out of proportion.

I use a slick 20 degree bag. I have the regular size, i'm 5'11 and 175, just enough room to move around a little bit without worrying about compressing the insulation and tight enough to retain heat. Really like the extra space by my feet and the thing is bomb proof. I have a woobie made out of the same material that the dog sleeps on \ burrows in and it still looks new.

The only thing that is a downside is that it won't compress as small as some other bags.

DTC

FNG
I’m about 6’2” and 250 with broad shoulders. I have a 5-degree Zpacks classic sleeping bag. It has water resistant down and keeps me toasty warm. They only make it down to 10 degrees now, I think, but a pretty good price point (definitely less than the SG Chillkoot) considering the weight and it is 900 fill power with high quality down.

Good stuff. Any of you big guys sleep on your stomach? I have that problem also to deal with…

Stalker69

WKR
Do most of you wear “ clothing “ while sleeping ? I don’t , I sleep just like at home, in my skivvies. Can’t get a good nights sleep other wise. I didn’t realize so many sleep with their clothes on.

Mosby

WKR
Do most of you wear “ clothing “ while sleeping ? I don’t , I sleep just like at home, in my skivvies. Can’t get a good nights sleep other wise. I didn’t realize so many sleep with their clothes on.
Depends on temps. When it is freezing cold, I layer as needed.

OP
actionshooter
I like to just wear the undies, but on the high end bags, it it's cold enough i'll wear lite thermals just to help keep the bag cleaner from my body oils and dirt.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Yeah, most of us sleep in light base layers to keep the bag clean. You get your sheets dirty on your bed, it's easy to clean them. Much different on a high end down bag.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Stalker69

WKR
I don’t have a real high down end bag, but it is down, I just wash mine at the end of the season. Is this not acceptable?

OP
actionshooter
I don’t have a real high down end bag, but it is down, I just wash mine at the end of the season. Is this not acceptable?
I would say if its working out for you, that's awesome.... Washing most down bags will make the filling "clumpy" and the bags will lose their loft. I have ruined one on my own and had the dry cleaner wreck another for me. Some manufactures have cleaning instructions they recommend. For myself, I just clean the bags as little as possible.

Stalker69

WKR
Yea no issues yet. I dry them on low heat in the dryer with a pair or two of my grand sons old shoes. Seems to keep them from clumping.

Smokeslider

Lil-Rokslider
I'm 6'4, 240. The biggest, most comfortable bag I've slept in is the Kifaru Slick Wide/Long.

It's not the lightest and can be bulky.

xcutter

WKR
For a sleeping bag the Kifaru Slick Bag in Long/Wide would have plenty of room.

I personally love my quilt. Most quilt manufacturers will make a quilt to your specs. Cedar Ridge Outdoors LeConte 10deg is the one I have in a long/wide. Very comfortable but I wouldn't mind it being a little wider which they can do.

WM Badger is popular for larger guys.

WM fabrics do a good job at shedding water. Look at their hydrostatic head ratings and compare them to some popular tents.
I 2nd the Western Mountaineering Badger GWS bag. No its not cheap but IMHO its well worth it if you get comfortable sleep when out hunting. I'm not s huge guy but really appreciate having a bit of extra room in my mummy bag, have been in some pretty wet conditions and this bag has always worked well.

Kifaru slick bag. Im 6’5” 220lb and fit in the long regular with ease. The long wide would be plenty big for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blandry

WKR
Just a note, the SG Chilkoot is just as roomy as the Kifaru wide bag.. that's a regular wide slickbag and regular chilkoot. I can't tell the difference in roominess tbh.

As far as warmth, NO comparison between the two in 0 deg rating. I was always cold in the kifaru bag in 0-20 deg weather and nice and toasty in the stone glacier.

The SG also pack down to 1/2 the size of the kifaru and is lighter weight, which was the main reason I switched.

I also have an exped downmat 9dlx and agree 100% that thing is awesome! It's heavy so I only use it for vehicle camping but amazing.

unnamed.jpg

Last edited:
OP
actionshooter
Just a note, the SG Chilkoot is just as roomy as the Kifaru wide bag.. that's a regular wide slickbag and regular chilkoot. I can't tell the difference in roominess tbh.

As far as warmth, NO comparison between the two in 0 deg rating. I was always cold in the kifaru bag in 0-20 deg weather and nice and toasty in the stone glacier.

The SG also pack down to 1/2 the size of the kifaru and is lighter weight, which was the main reason I switched.

I also have an exped downmat 9dlx and agree 100% that thing is awesome! It's heavy so I only use it for vehicle camping but amazing.

View attachment 336887
I like to hear that.. :) I bought the Chilkoot

Str8wire

FNG
I am not as big as you (6’1” 215#) Long Nemo cosmo 3D insulated pad with big agnes park series long bag. Roomy for side sleepers and you don’t slide off.

Savage99

WKR
That’s great. I’m 6’4” 200 and sleep on my side when I’m not tossing. I love the room at home when I’ve tried it. I’ll see some lower temps later next month on a scouting trip for second rifle.

Didn’t see too low of temps, maybe mid 20’s. Bag was warm and I could sleep in any position I wanted. Had a stove and I never woke up cold to need to stoke.

OP
actionshooter
A little after action report... Bought the 15* Chilkoot

Just spent 8 days on Kodiak, lowest temp was about 20*, never was chilled always warm. Also had an unreal amount of rain (stayed in tent) and never felt damp. Tons of room in this bag, very impressed with the way it fits and could roll over freely without twisting the bag up.
The zipper never got hung up in the bag, which is a huge pet peeve of sleeping bags. Nothing like a stuck zipper at the 2am urination emergency.

Overall, I wouldn't hesitate to buy this one again.