Help Me Pick a Kifaru Bag

OP
J

jd1006

WKR
If you like the Nomad 2 layout, take a look at the straight jacket before you make your purchase.
Yep, that looks like the ticket. I like that you can put the bladder in that inner sleeve and then have those batwings on the outside. I like have the flexibility to run that outside panel either inside or outside.

My Hoodlum, while not perfect for *me*, is great and I'm glad I bought it. If I had to buy something other than it now it'd be a Dall or Fulcrum.
My Hoodlum IS great for me! I phucking love this pack! At first the fit out of the box was just “ok” but after a few minor adjustments, this pack is definitely a homerun. I added 4 large belt pouches. 2 on the belt and 2 on the back. I also added 2 mediums on the back. I just ordered a guide lid and will lose the 2 mediums. The versatility of this pack is everything I was hoping it was and looking for in a pack.

I doubt I ever buy another pack. The only problem with that statement is, I have an UL Duplex frame with nothing on it. I had the Hoodlum on it but love the fit of the Tactical frame over the UL.

I can attach my DT1 bag to it but it’s not the ideal frame for the bag just because of the attachment points on the frame vs the attachment points on the bag.

I’ve tossed around the idea of buying a Reckoning for the UL and then ask myself why? With the Hoodlum being such a great pack.

Rock-o

WKR
@trophyhill, don't get me wrong. Again, I'm glad I chose the Hoodlum The only flaw for my preferences is that I want the two main compartment zips to go all the way to the top. I tried to get it done by a third party that declined. I'm still interested in having it done. It would be 100% perfect to me with that simple change. Like you, I don't see ever buying another pack. Yet the only reason why I said if I had to it might be something else is simply to explore for fun.

@trophyhill, don't get me wrong. Again, I'm glad I chose the Hoodlum The only flaw for my preferences is that I want the two main compartment zips to go all the way to the top. I tried to get it done by a third party that declined. I'm still interested in having it done. It would be 100% perfect to me with that simple change. Like you, I don't see ever buying another pack. Yet the only reason why I said if I had to it might be something else is simply to explore for fun.
If you get it done let me know. That would make it the ultimate pack.

OP
J

jd1006

WKR
I ordered a straight jacket and I also ordered a bag-only goshawk from SO. I’m going to see how that works within the straight jacket as a camp bag.

cburgin72

Lil-Rokslider

If you get it done let me know. That would make it the ultimate pack.

Look at Sadler's posts on here.

Ha! I just realized the link is to your thread, trophyhill. LOL

My Hoodlum IS great for me! I phucking love this pack! At first the fit out of the box was just “ok” but after a few minor adjustments, this pack is definitely a homerun. I added 4 large belt pouches. 2 on the belt and 2 on the back. I also added 2 mediums on the back. I just ordered a guide lid and will lose the 2 mediums. The versatility of this pack is everything I was hoping it was and looking for in a pack.

I doubt I ever buy another pack. The only problem with that statement is, I have an UL Duplex frame with nothing on it. I had the Hoodlum on it but love the fit of the Tactical frame over the UL.

I can attach my DT1 bag to it but it’s not the ideal frame for the bag just because of the attachment points on the frame vs the attachment points on the bag.

I’ve tossed around the idea of buying a Reckoning for the UL and then ask myself why? With the Hoodlum being such a great pack.
So I order the guide lid Monday from the rv park in CO. I’m not even home yet to NM and it’s already been delivered!

cwb1975

Lil-Rokslider
I bought the ma duece. Bigger bag then I'll probably need, but compresses down nicely

pc3

WKR
I Have a 44 mag and have just added a Ma Deuce...it's on special at the moment I kind of like the top lid an organisation of that style. The Fulcrum is also a bag I like.

Both Bags were on special when I bought them which probably pushed me in that direction. But the bags are practical and well organised.

The Reckoning seems to check all of those boxes... well, at least I hope so. Ordered one and expecting it to be delivered tomorrow. I had a similar set of criteria and think it will be a good fit. Will update when I get my hands on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10ringer

WKR
3cb2aeeaf4c591a88414cec626e0a371.jpg

Reckoning checks all your boxes. The open side pockets are a great spot for your water bladder. The full length center zipper is very quick access and makes loading large items like an elk quarter a breeze.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Torn between the 44mag and the hoodlum.
Any thoughts
I have neither, but I want a Hoodlum.

44 mag just seems small me, and the hoodlum sinches down so well I see no benefits of the smaller bag.

The Reckoning is also a great bag, as is the Fulcrum.

Last edited:
Another vote for the nomad 2. The versatility of that system with a 45liter dry bag is unparalleled. No more blood or leaking water bladders in the main compartment. Super stable meat/rifle/bow transport right against the back. Absolutely no movement of those quarters, and I can still access anything I need from the wings. Quick access sleeves inside the wings for puffy, rain gear, spotter, trekking poles etc that I can grab without dumping the back. With camp/food in a dry bag, I can dump that gear and be in daypack mode instantly. No more rummaging through a big main pouch or having extra bag material that I dont need. It takes a season to get used to but its really a kickass system.

Burtz

Lil-Rokslider
Went with the Hoodlum via another member on this forum. I’ll report back once my frame come in and I’ve had some time putting it to use. Thank you to all those that have shared their thoughts.

TheGDog

WKR
I ended up getting the EMR II. Really like the bag. Don't like their frames though and how their bags mount to their frames on the top. For me, that area has continually had problems with making noise while I walk with the pack on, more so when it starts to get loaded up a bit.

Also on other packs....for those long side pockets which I like..... on other maufacturers designs... they pass thru the cinching down strap UNDER these pockets! Which I feel is logically a much better choice, because lots of times I need to use the straps to hold things unto the outside of the pack (such as predator seat cushion) and may need to really crank down on those straps, but I can't go too hard if there is something in the long side-pockets (such as a spotter) which might become damaged if that strap DOESN'T go under them but OVER them instead. And you go and crank down on the tightness. This creates the potential to have the tension from that strap possibly damaging things in those long side pockets.

Definitely go big. You can always strap down and cinch down stuff with the packs. But ya can't make space when you've maxed them out already.

EDIT: I like the compromise they did on this Fulcrum bag. You'll notice that they made the straps not go OVER the long side-pockets on that model.

Last edited: