Help Me Pick a Kifaru Bag

jd1006

WKR
Hello, I’m really struggling in understanding which Kifaru bag is a good fit with he following goals:

1. Versatility. I don’t want to own a bunch of bags, I hunt a few times a year. I want a bag that I can go from truck hunting, to spike camp and day hunts from spike camp, to all on your back. Longest hunt I can see myself doing is 7 days in the backcountry. There could be a situation where I would go on a 10-day hunt, but I don’t see that in the immediate future.

2. I’m not a fan of having a water bladder inside the bag, it’s a bunch of work to fill and likely gets the inside of the bag wet. I’d like to a situation where the water bladder is outside of the main pack.

3. Compressability. I’d like to be able to have the bag work in a variety of situations where the capacity wouldn’t need to be used unless I was packing something out.

4. Access. I’d like ease of access to things I will be using a lot of.

The bags I’m stuck on are the Reckoning, Hoodlum, Ma Deuce, Dall, or the Fulcrum. I do have a duplex lite frame, a sherman pocket, a quarter panel, a water bottle holder, and an xpac organizer guide lid.

Thanks for your help!

I have a DT1 and a Fulcrum. The Fulcrum is so much more versatile, as it compresses down better IMNSHO. It obviously still has the ability to easily do a 10 day backpack hunt/trip.

*zap*

WKR
AMR will do all that and more, put a pals bladder pouch on the outside of it (that is how mine is set up). Compresses to nothing empty with two built in pockets and plenty of webbing for additional pouches. Weight is negligible. Lower zipper access to bag area also works well giving dual access to interior of bag and e-zier access to an interior area when bag is compressed down.

Not the latest but a very good pack and there was one on here for sale for $190. 3.5# with lid. 7800 ci stock.

Rock-o

WKR
My Hoodlum, while not perfect for *me*, is great and I'm glad I bought it. If I had to buy something other than it now it'd be a Dall or Fulcrum.

oldhorse

WKR
I am an unapologetic gear whore. I currently have a Fulcrum, a 22mag G1, a 44Mag, a Nomad 2 and a Mountain Warrior . I like all of these bags and use them for different purposes. However, if I could only have one, I would keep the Fulcrum. The Fulcrum and the Nomad are essentially the same pack. The Fulcrum just has the 'camp bag' sewn in, and it is optional on the Nomad 2. There is an older thread here on Rokslide comparing the Fulcrum and Nomad 2. For the list of needs you provided, I would narrow it down to these two choices, read that thread and then decide which one suits your needs better. This is, of course, just one guy's opinion. Best of luck in your search. Keep us posted on your progress!

OP
J

jd1006

WKR
nomad 2 an campbag DONE! all other kifaru bags wish they were nomads
How do you use a water bladder and haul meat in this scenario? I’m intrigued by the nomad, just want to understand what the full kit looks like for a 7-day hunt scenario.

bubbay

FNG
How do you use a water bladder and haul meat in this scenario? I’m intrigued by the nomad, just want to understand what the full kit looks like for a 7-day hunt scenario.
hook bladder to webing a 20z kifaru meat bag an go

bubbay

FNG
there are many vids on kifaru site on nomad

the only bag mentioned that i own is the Reckoning.... not much to add besides i think it's small for 7 days... i like mine, but would get a bigger bag if i did a lot of trips over 5 days.... around here there is no reason to do so or i would have got a bigger bag

cburgin72

Lil-Rokslider
Hello, I’m really struggling in understanding which Kifaru bag is a good fit with he following goals:

1. Versatility. I don’t want to own a bunch of bags, I hunt a few times a year. I want a bag that I can go from truck hunting, to spike camp and day hunts from spike camp, to all on your back. Longest hunt I can see myself doing is 7 days in the backcountry. There could be a situation where I would go on a 10-day hunt, but I don’t see that in the immediate future.

2. I’m not a fan of having a water bladder inside the bag, it’s a bunch of work to fill and likely gets the inside of the bag wet. I’d like to a situation where the water bladder is outside of the main pack.

3. Compressability. I’d like to be able to have the bag work in a variety of situations where the capacity wouldn’t need to be used unless I was packing something out.

4. Access. I’d like ease of access to things I will be using a lot of.

The bags I’m stuck on are the Reckoning, Hoodlum, Ma Deuce, Dall, or the Fulcrum. I do have a duplex lite frame, a sherman pocket, a quarter panel, a water bottle holder, and an xpac organizer guide lid.

Thanks for your help!
The reckoning is designed to hold the water bladder outside of the bag. I am not sure if there are many others that have the same design. If you use the sherman, quarter panel and organizer guide lid (ogl) I bet you could squeeze 7 days out of it if you pack lightly.
All of them compress down very flat. I don't think you will notice much of a difference for compressibility with the kifaru bags these days.
The full center zip on the reckoning gives great access to the main compartment, but it isn't necessarily quick. Keep in mind if its something you will be using a lot it would be easiest to put it in the sherman or ogl if it will fit.
I personally didn't use the side pockets of the reckoning all that much. I don't have a tripod or anything like that to slide down in them. I like the zippered side pockets of the hoodlum. I am thinking I will use them more often for smaller items since I can unzip it and get stuff out that is mid way down.

Hopefully this helps!

I have the hoodlum it will do all that. look at ELKSHAPE you tube page and watch the, best hunting pack for 2021. they break it down for you.

revcwood

FNG
I have the Reckoning and OGL and have run them for the past 6 years with no complaints. I do like the idea of the Hoodlum for the zip-up side pockets, but I have found other things to spend $$ on so I haven't pulled any triggers on that.

452b264

Lil-Rokslider
I was in the same situation as yourself and I choose the Fulcrum and fits the bill perfectly. I have used it for three years now and I know I wont need another pack.

OP
J

jd1006

WKR
I feel like the more I look at the Nomad 2, the Bane/OGL lid, Sherman/Grabit and an underlying dry bag would be very versatile. What’s the biggest dry bag you can use? I have a 65L e-vent bag. I love the center zip of the fulcrum…just don’t think i’d need that center bag often and would like to leave it at camp.

fatlander

WKR
I feel like the more I look at the Nomad 2, the Bane/OGL lid, Sherman/Grabit and an underlying dry bag would be very versatile. What’s the biggest dry bag you can use? I have a 65L e-vent bag. I love the center zip of the fulcrum…just don’t think i’d need that center bag often and would like to leave it at camp.

The nomad is either a love it or hate it bag. I was in the later category. In day mode (nothing between the wings) it’s a floppy mess unless you run compression over the wings. Then you have to undo that mess to quickly access anything. Throw a guidelid/Sherman/bane and a grab it it to the mix and you’ve got more straps than pack.

I like the way clam shell bags load better than center zips. Everyone is different, but the 44mag is about as perfect a pack as I could ever want. It has pockets where you need them and enough pals to add extras if you desire. Sounds like you need a little more space, so the ma deuce would be my choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nastynick

FNG
Cavern or Crater (kind like Hoodlum/Reckoning) w/ Guide lid (for bladder if you choose) and then add a couple belt pouches to the PALs on the back/bottom webbing for the quick access.
Cavern/Crater have side-zip access in addition to the roll-top for getting in. Let's you strap gun/bow to back for pack in/out or for other stuff. I like mine.

cburgin72

Lil-Rokslider
If you like the Nomad 2 layout, take a look at the straight jacket before you make your purchase.