Help me pick a new camo system - please

teesquare

FNG
Perameters:
I have plenty of good base layers from Black Ovis, Badlands and others. Mostly merino and merino blends. So - got that covered.

What I am looking for:
Outer layers that are
1. Breathable - wool blends and/or technical fabrics that are not "sweaty".
2. Water resistant - does not need to be waterproof - but repellant
3. SILENT...or practically so....
4. NOT SITKA. I truly need to keep a functioning kidney for a while guys. And, some of this stuff has gotten ridiculous in cost....
5. Layerable. In other words, I don't like a heavy anything as a one piece solution in a jacket or pants...or bibs. I really like being able to layer up and down to fit the change of temps during the day and day to day on a hunt.
6. Western color/patterns. I hunt NM and CO Elk.

So - please share with me your opinions and experiences. I went to a Cabela's today in hopes of finding something - but between the poor service, lack of knowledge...and the sorely lacking of info tagging on the clothing - I just walked out without buying anything.
Thanks for any response-
T

While I won't give you a recommendation for a particular peice of gear, I will say keep an eye out on the classifieds here. You can find great deals that make expensive items much more affordable.

OP
T

teesquare

FNG
Thanks. Have been doing that and will continue! And...hoping for suggestions on brands as well as models of said brands.
Thanks
T

I found all my sitka stuff used on the classifieds. I love the core heavyweight hoody, and jet stream jacket

I'll share my experience fwiw. Maybe save you some money in the long run. I played around with value buys and in the end ended up spending the coin on the good outer layers. I try to save money finding deals on the base/mid layers. Good outer gear lasts for years. Camo pattern doesn't matter. How it fits for you and performs. For softshell wind/light rain I haven't found anything better than the Sitka Jetstream. For pants, the kuiu attack. Axis for the nasty wet cold days. They just work awesome as soft shells in a layering system and I wear them every time I am out hunting. Venting zips all around. None of my shit matches. I am a camo hobo. Solid color pants half of the time. Throw in a light puffy jacket and a fleece or heavier weight merino to put over your upper base layer along with some packable rain gear that you will actually carry with you and you're well on your way.
All the stuff I tried prior just sits in a bin or gets handed down to someone who will use.

Reactions: ZDR

id_jon

WKR
I was anti sitka until I found a kelvin lite puffy on sale for almost half off. My previous experience was mostly first lite, and I still like the FL jackets I have, but the sitka is miles ahead in quality in my opion. Like marshmello, I mix and match and mostly wear solid pants. Prana zions most of the year and sitka mountain pants for when it's colder. If you are not in a rush, most everything can be found for 50% off or better, either lightly used or on some sort of sale.

OP
T

teesquare

FNG
id_john - thanks for that. I am not a Sitka "hater"...just hard to swallow that amount of money for some of the Sitka stuff....will watch the classifieds.
Thanks
T

WesCAtoll

Lil-Rokslider
Euro optic has pretty good sitka prices (1-2 season old)
I just picked up a bunch of stuff that was over 50% off.

Cheezhd

FNG
Classified Approved
Hello, have you looked into wool items?like King of the mountain wool?the older clothes can be found, from light weight to heavyweight!I like the bunwarmer pants, bushman shirt, and if it gets windy go to the bowman jacket!it's quiet as it gets and you can layer it according to the time of the year!I hope that helps!

Winnie

Lil-Rokslider
I really enjoy the Sitka that I have but have never paid retail. Look around, you are better off buying Sitka on sale than spending retail on a lesser quality system.

excaliber

WKR
If you don't want to spend money for Sitka gear then Kuiu is another clothing line you will want to avoid. Nothing like throwing out the 2 best hunting clothing brands.
Good luck finding something else that works as well.

tclipse

Lil-Rokslider
Kuiu Attack pants - they’re on the less expensive side for Kuiu ($140 new, less used here) are durable, and will work for a wide range of temperatures with layering. I’m in love with mine.

Eddie Bauer Guide Pro pants - awesome budget option, if you wait for a sale can be had for $35-45. Prana Stretch Zions are great too for a bit more.

prm

WKR
What season? Big difference between archery and late rifle. Having said that, my do it all layering fo CO elk and deer is:

Base: First Lite Aerowool top
Mid: Kuiu Peleton 240
Light insulation: Arc’teryx Atom (Trying Kuiu Kutana Hybrid)
Heavy insulation: Kifaru LPP
*Occasionally carry a light rain jacket.

Pant: Prana Zion (wearing now and almost everyday, and for hunting)
Base bottom: First Lite Merino wool

I can wear all this stuff at home too. Very versatile.

bbckfh

Lil-Rokslider
Mine is fairly similar. And I’m also a camo mutt. I had solids and multiple patterns on me in WY last fall: FL fusion, FL cipher, kuiu verde 2.0, kuiu vias, UA barren multicam, & kryptek highlander.

My setup:
Base top: FL aerowool tee
Mid: FL kiln hoodie
Light insulation: Patagonia nano-air
Insulation: EB 800-fill down puffy hoodie or kuiu superdown ultra pro hoodie
Rain: kuiu kutana
Base bottom: FL kiln long John’s
Pants: kuiu attack or talus
Gloves: UA
Mitts: OR
Gaiters: kuiu kutana. The FL were great last year, but too big for my skinny calves

I think I’m pretty dialed with this. I might try the FL Foundry pants this year. Their obsidian are pretty sweet and a new add. Also need to not forget my beanie at home-thankful for all those hoods!

I really enjoy the Sitka that I have but have never paid retail. Look around, you are better off buying Sitka on sale than spending retail on a lesser quality system.

And if you want to stay in a “system” Sitka is by far the easiest to get used. I’ve got a late season set in OC and an early season set in SA and I only paid retail for one single piece (Kelvin Active, the best single piece). My average savings is about 60%. It did take three years to acquire though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slvrslngr

WKR
Take a look at SKRE, some good deals in their close out section right now.
SKREgear.com

madcalfe

WKR
this is what i run for my sheep hunts and elk hunts
-helly hanson light long johns
-Fjallraven keb pants (late september/october ill wear kuiu talus pants)
-T shirt
-kuiu merino wool 145 hoody
-arcteryx puffy
-kuiu Yukon rain gear (thinking about ordering the kutana for aug hunts)

dont even waste your money on a soft shell jacket.