Help me pick a new elk rifle caliber.

Headhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Depends on your needs
270, 30-06, 308 and 7mm-08 will cover most opportunities
Where a magnum is handy is if shots are much further (300+).
Accuracy is always more important than a caliber (as long as its suitable for the animal you’re after).
Cooper Backcountry, Weatherby UL’s, Weatherby Backcountry Ti, Kimber Montana, Rem 700 Ti. Depends on your pocketbook
Good luck with your quest sir

khuber84

WKR
Calibers and cartridges aren't the same thing! A 6mm br and a 6mm-06 are the same caliber but are FAR from same killing power. Very similar to a 30-30win vs a 30-378 wby, same caliber but the wby has 4x more energy. Please figure out the difference.....and when to use on vs the other.

Headhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Calibers and cartridges aren't the same thing! A 6mm br and a 6mm-06 are the same caliber but are FAR from same killing power. Very similar to a 30-30win vs a 30-378 wby, same caliber but the wby has 4x more energy. Please figure out the difference.....and when to use on vs the other.

If referring to my post... you know what I meant.

Burrito68

FNG
I have a Kimber hunter in 280 ai with a Leupold vx3i 3.5-10 that's real light for hiking around. I wouldn't take a 600 yard shot with it though

What you want is a 6.8X64

Plenty accurate.
Plenty of power to 600 and beyond
Light recoil
Fits a standard action
Can grab 3000 FPS with a high BC 150 grain bullet out of a 22” barrel

OP
bascott1

bascott1

WKR
What is the total weight of the setup that you are considering "lightweight"?

At 600 yards, you are pushing it with the 308 Win and you are not leaving much of a buffer with a 30-06.

Nothing wrong with a 7mm Rem Mag but I'd look at the 280AI or 28 Nosler if you are feeling frisky.
Lightweight for me is 8-9 lbs. I tend to feel like thats a good balance of light and comfortable to shoot.

Lightweight for me is 8-9 lbs. I tend to feel like thats a good balance of light and comfortable to shoot.
Should be very doable with a 280 AI. Plenty of oomph @ 600 yards and will hit 1800 fps about 850 yards (not accounting for environmentals). Recoil is close to 270 Win levels and below 7mm Rem Mag levels.

OP
bascott1

bascott1

WKR
Should be very doable with a 280 AI. Plenty of oomph @ 600 yards and will hit 1800 fps about 850 yards (not accounting for environmentals). Recoil is close to 270 Win levels and below 7mm Rem Mag levels.
I don’t reload so how are factory ammo options?

There is Hornady Precision Hunter, Federal running Berge bullets, Nosler E-Tip, Nosler Accubond, Nosler Ballistic Tip, Nosler Partition, and Nosler Accubond Long Range. There should be more options available.

I'd look at Precision Hunter, Nosler ABLR, and Federal (Berger). Accubonds and Partitions are very good bullets but they lose steam quickly; in this case you should get to about 675 yards before hitting 1800 fps. I do not have any personal experience with the E-Tip or the Ballistic Tip.

Figure out which one gives you the best balance between accuracy and velocity.

280rem

FNG
Just get a 243 and perfect your tracking skills, and be done with it. Seems to popular cartridge for elk and in same power class as 6.5cm

Trev93

FNG
Lampers and Call use the 6.5 PRC. Seems like them are sweet rifles. They shoot the Weatherby backcountry TI which is titanium...... expect to drop like $2500 on it tho. They weigh just under 5 pounds. Amazing rifles... someday... someday....

CO-AJ

WKR
I run a .300WM, it is an older Ruger M77R and I have had a brake added. With the brake it is comfortable to shoot and I know that it will definitely retain the energy out to a decent distance.

slowelk

WKR
Lampers and Call use the 6.5 PRC. Seems like them are sweet rifles. They shoot the Weatherby backcountry TI which is titanium...... expect to drop like $2500 on it tho. They weigh just under 5 pounds. Amazing rifles... someday... someday....

Buy this rifle because this youtube "star" uses it! Ya!

Trev93

FNG
Buy this rifle because this youtube "star" uses it! Ya!

because they are YouTube “stars” it’s not an amazing gun? That’s how I found out about that gun. And lampers is an absolute legend.

Spoonbill

WKR
because they are YouTube “stars” it’s not an amazing gun? That’s how I found out about that gun. And lampers is an absolute legend.
I think the point is that don’t trust what products people who get paid to hunt use. It is like when Rinella got a Savage as a sponsor, do you think he really quit hunting with his custom built rifles to hunt with a 700 dollar savage when he was off camera?