Help me pick a new elk rifle caliber.

mvrk28

WKR
taking into account all circumstances that could arise,i believe that elk rifles start at a 30 caliber magnum.
This made me think of a P.O. Ackley quote about Elmer Keith.

"I don’t think Elmer Keith would be caught dead hunting with anything smaller than a .300 Magnum. And he used to tell me that was about minimum for deer. For other stuff he starts up from there. Of course, if you figured things proportionately, guns for moose or bear; the gun would probably be at least 37mm."

300 win mag

Lil-Rokslider
another reason i use a 30 caliber magnum,when your in grizz country it makes me feel a little better.

300PRC or 7-300wm have been my ticket to the show the past few years. Both have dropped them always. If you already have a 300wm, the 7-300 can use the same dies, just change the bushing.

PA Hunter

WKR
I was looking at that set up, how is the recoil of the RUM with such a light rifle. Even with the brake.
There is zero recoil and i reload 200 gr Accubonds to full power 3150 fps. No recoil at all. My friends 270 short kicks allot more. It is a phenomenal rifle at a fair price. My friend has the same rifle they are accurate,light and no kick.

My vote 280 improved or 300 prc. Theres also 300wm, 7rm. Can't go wrong. I'm putting a custom 300 prc together in my shop when the rest of the parts arrive in the next couple days.