Help me pick a optics setup for Whitetail?

Hey everyone,

I really struggling to make a decision for next year.

Goal is the most sustainable, do everything system for the next 5-10 years with no worries. Low light resolution/performance is probably my most important desired feature. Hunting whitetail in woods and on fields at last light, 50 to 400 yards shots. Mounting scope on Winchester Model 70 7MM REM Mag. Need to pick one Bino and one scope. I get military deals on some of these so the prices are pretty similar (within $200-$300) so really just picking on performance within this range.

Scope Choices:
Meopta Meopro 4-12x50 #4
Tract Toric UHD 3-15x50 T-plex

(I really wanted the 2-12x50 meopta R2 with 4K but I just don't think I need to spend that much for only a 3 week rifle season each year and only hunting to legal light)

Binocular Choices:
Meopta Meostar 10x42 HD
Tract Toric HT 10x42
Nikon Monarch HG 10x42

Or I can save and go down to Meopro 10x42 but I thought I should spend my money on the binoculars because I do hunt mostly a Trophy Club (140" minimum) and I need to know exactly what I'm looking at. Additionally, most of my "assessing" is done with the binoculars, not the scope.

Thanks for all the help!

Been hunting Whitetails for 40 years.
Leupold VX3i 4.5 x 14 - 40 mm
Leica Trinovids 8 x 40
i also shoot a 7RM and have hunted Easter and Western Whitetails
i have no experience with your choices. Good Luck with your choices.

16Bore

WKR
10’s are tight in timber. Any bino is better than no bino. Stuff is generally so good now you really can’t make a bad choice.

I’ll be running a 6x30 Kowa bino system next year. They were $85 used. I’m a high roller.

NYSKIER

WKR
I think all you really need is 10x42. anything bigger is a lot of glass to carry in the whitetails woods (Unless in AZ or NM chasing Coues then go big)

sdupontjr

WKR
In my hunting situations, I hunt thick timber fro about 85% of my hunting and the rest is open fields and power lines. I just picked up a Meopta Optika 6 3-18x56 with illuminated #4 and I'm really impressed with it this pass season. We have legal shooting times in Louisiana and I have sat in my stand in thick hard woods and have watched deer with the illuminated dot for about 15-20 min after dark. Long enough for my son to get worried and wondering if I was Ok and if I was going to come pick him up. The beauty of this scope is that sure its a little on the heavy side, but I'm not back packing with this rifle. It lean up against the stand until ready to go to work.

I have also had a S&B Klassic 2.5-10x56 and a V6 Zeiss 3-18x50 and sure the Optika line isn't on par with those 2 as far as Low light, however, when I can see 15-20 after dark, in woods, not an open field, and the optic only cost around $600 instead of $1800 - $2000, I'M SOLD. I'm already considering getting a 4.5-27x50 for my 7 mag for our Texas hunts, but I have some time now. I ordered the 3-18x56 straight from Doug and was at my house in 3 days.

diy face mask for blackheads without honey

howl

WKR
How far do you shoot? How late is legal shooting time? Do you hunt dark woods or open areas?

targetpanic

Lil-Rokslider
For 50-400yds in timber and in fields I would think your scope is more than adequate
For binos I would strongly consider an 8x42 over a 10x42 for low light situations. The nikon Monarchs are nice but I have heard a LOT of good things about the Meostars

Some of this choice will come down to your hunting goals as well - are you wanting or needing to evaluate a buck? I guide whitetails (and everything else) in Texas and we have specific criteria we look for in terms of age and antlers. A 10” error in antler size could cost a hunter over $1k. I can tell you, I’m not gonna let one fly or let a hunter shoot without looking at a deer through more than 10x or 12x at 400yds. If you are really going to shoot whitetail at 400, I’d recommend getting a scope with a high end of 24x ish. That gives you better ability to judge your deer. I use 10x50 binos and a spotter when guiding so we can both look at a buck. But, if I’m hunting myself, I may use just my binos and then just use my riflescope if I’m only hunting a 400yd field.

I can’t help you with the particular optics you listed as I haven’t used them. But, I wanted to give you a different perspective. If you’re hunting where having a really clear idea of what you’re shooting isn’t a concern, a 12x or 15x is prolly great.

Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
G
Some of this choice will come down to your hunting goals as well - are you wanting or needing to evaluate a buck? I guide whitetails (and everything else) in Texas and we have specific criteria we look for in terms of age and antlers. A 10” error in antler size could cost a hunter over $1k. I can tell you, I’m not gonna let one fly or let a hunter shoot without looking at a deer through more than 10x or 12x at 400yds. If you are really going to shoot whitetail at 400, I’d recommend getting a scope with a high end of 24x ish. That gives you better ability to judge your deer. I use 10x50 binos and a spotter when guiding so we can both look at a buck. But, if I’m hunting myself, I may use just my binos and then just use my riflescope if I’m only hunting a 400yd field.

I can’t help you with the particular optics you listed as I haven’t used them. But, I wanted to give you a different perspective. If you’re hunting where having a really clear idea of what you’re shooting isn’t a concern, a 12x or 15x is prolly great.

Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s really good info and the things you are talking about are why I’m upgrading my optics. Too many times last year I passed bucks that were big enough just cause I couldn’t tell if they were 135” or 150”. One was actually 156” (got killed later). My club has a 140” minimum and I want to stay in it.