Help me pick a scope

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Hi,

I’m starting to think about improving my skill set and working on longer distance shooting. I started messing around with it last summer but life got in the way and I had to sell some scopes and other gear but things are settled now so I want to get back to it.

I’m not planning on just bolting a rifle together and then taking g long shots on animals but I want to start working on hitting targets out a bit farther and getting more comfortable with it.

The rifle I have for this is a tikka t3x superlite 6.5 Creedmoor, I’ll use a rail (probably an area 419) and rings (warne mountain tech probably) but I need to get a scope, I’m on a budget but if I was compelled I could probably stretch it a bit.

2 of the scopes in choosing between are:
-SWFA 3-15 mil/mil (800 bucks)
-nightforce SHV f1 4-14 mil

The nightforce is about 300 dollars more, is there a solid reason to or not to go with the nightforce?

I also see the nightforce NSX 2.5-10x42 mil scope, that’s more expensive but I have a few other scopes laying around I could fairly easily sell to make up the difference.

I’d appreciate your thoughts, unless there’s really a compelling reason, I’d like to try to keep the discussion about the scopes I mentioned.

Thank you!!!

Totoro

WKR
Nice selection of parts, take a look at the Zeiss V4.

Nice features, weight and size.

Price close to SHV.

Hmr

Lil-Rokslider
Nightforce all the way. NXS is a solid piece, very reliable tracking. MOART with the center illumination and zero stop is very nice as well.
A little heavier than others, but the performance makes up for it.

I had a Leupold Mark4 when I initially got into long range shooting, it just wasn’t what a Nightforce is.

Totoro

WKR
NF is a LR optic staple, the reference optic, if you will.

However, lots of different options available based on size, features, budget etc.

Speaking for myself, I have owned more NF glass than other brands because its sheer reliability under all the shooting conditions I find myself in.

Nkoza

Lil-Rokslider
If you plan on dialing and twisting turrets nightforce is hard to beat

I have an SHV, NXS, and Zeiss V6. I like them all. If I were you, I would look at the Zeiss v4, it would be somewhere between the SHV and NXS in quality while weighing in substantially less.