Help me pick a watch; Garmin Instinct Solar Tactical, Fenix 6 Sapphire, F6X Sapphire, Tactix Delta

Remington92

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys I'm looking at getting into the smartwatch game. I'm looking from mild to wild. I'm 5'10" 210"lb with a 7" wrist. I had originally had my sights set on the Garmin instinct solar tactical for its basically unlimited battery life but didn't like the fact it didn't offer respiration. So I moved onto the Fenix 6 sapphire, then thought heck why not the bigger screened 6x sapphire which then snowballed into the base tactix delta sure is sweet looking.

I would love to have the option to go try these on in store but no one up this part of the country stocks watches so I'm left looking at photos and getting advice from those with more experience. I work for a John Deere dealership training folks to run the equipment they buy and working on the electrical systems and in a pinch turning wrenches to get them back up and going. So I was drawn to the gamins for durability. I'm just afraid the 6x or Tactix will be too big and in the way. What size would yall recommend and is the Tactix Delta worth the extra $200 or is it just for the enhanced aesthetics basically?

Last edited:

Highhuntin

Lil-Rokslider
I had and instinct non solar, battery would last a week, tried the 6x but was to big for my wrist and noticeable heavy, I settled on the 6 sapphire and love it! Topo maps are a nice addition over the instinct, battery lasts me 2 weeks before needing a charge with everyday uses and 4-6 runs a week

Highhuntin

Lil-Rokslider
I work on equipment and will take it off when I have to do something that may snag it or what not but it’s not often

OP
R

Remington92

Lil-Rokslider
You mind me asking roughly how big your wrist is? I was kind of afraid I’d run into that with a 6x or TD. Seems like a lot of folks make it work but also don’t want it hooking on everything I go by

RAM190Hog

Lil-Rokslider
I've got the 6 Sapphire as well. My only beef is that the HR seems very erratic and unreliable when running for me...it seems to pick up cadence instead of heart rate. In my little research online, seems to be a common complaint with some of the Garmin watches. I get at best 5 days out of it, using it for some kind of exercise on most days. Still better than charging an Apple Watch daily.

Wrench

WKR
I have the 6x and added the titanium band. I will take it off when wrenching tight spots, but otherwise I beat the dog slobber out of it and it takes it like a champ. It does everything I want and then some.

I went with the basic instict a few years ago. On my 3rd one, by no way garmins fault, I have a tendency to shatter the face. I am hard on gear so I tend to go with the most basic of options for things. If you send Garmin a busted one they will send you a refurbished replacement for 100 bucks. YMMV

Highhuntin

Lil-Rokslider
You mind me asking roughly how big your wrist is? I was kind of afraid I’d run into that with a 6x or TD. Seems like a lot of folks make it work but also don’t want it hooking on everything I go by

my wrist is 6 1/5, the x is big but another half inch on wrist and maybe it wouldn’t have been so bad, I’d say for me it was more the weight then the size as when I ran it was hard to get it tight enough not to bounce

freedomhunter25

Lil-Rokslider
I went with instinct solar tactical . Its battery lasts me about 3 weeks . I use some of the tracking data during the week on workouts and I still get a solid 3 weeks . Its not too big where it gets caught on sleeves and working and etc . I really recommend this one . You can find some killer deals on the regular instinct on black friday .

Highhuntin

Lil-Rokslider
I've got the 6 Sapphire as well. My only beef is that the HR seems very erratic and unreliable when running for me...it seems to pick up cadence instead of heart rate. In my little research online, seems to be a common complaint with some of the Garmin watches. I get at best 5 days out of it, using it for some kind of exercise on most days. Still better than charging an Apple Watch daily.

i haven’t had the heart rate problem, but as far as battery life, have you turned off backlight during the day, turn down brightness and such? Also one of the biggest drains I noticed was pulse ox running all day would drain the battery I turned it off or have it on only during sleep. Aftermarket watch faces can be a drain as well

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have the Instinct Solar, so far so good. Seems to be pretty robust, have inadvertently given it a couple of pretty good shots. Battery day to day with no tracking lasts a a couple of weeks. The band is very comfy, one of the most comfortable watches I've every worn.

I've tracked via my and my gps on the same route and they are within +/- 1% of each other.

Topo maps would be nice though :)

Highhuntin

Lil-Rokslider
I’d recommend a glass protector no matter what watch you get, I scratched my instinct and even a small scratch I. the sapphire glass on the 6

OP
R

Remington92

Lil-Rokslider
Well I broke down and pulled the trigger on a 6x sapphire. We”ll see if I it’s too big. Scheels has a pretty good return policy if I decide to go smaller. I wanted the tactix for the black finish but couldn’t swallow the extra 200

Stalker69

WKR
The instinct solar still needs to be charged, just not as often. With that said my reg. instinct watch needs to be recharged every 4 days and that’s using it only as a watch. If I try gps or any thing it needs charged daily. The solar may get you a week or so before you still have to charge them, less if using gps. I my self would not buy another one, of either of them.

Solby

FNG
I bought the instinct regular a few years ago and have been happy with it. I bought it instead of the Phoenix because it is so much smaller and lighter and less expensive. Threw a screen protector on it from the start. I have worn through two wristbands. I use it running 3-4 times a week and probably charge it once a week. It's features are probably limited vs a Phoenix but it is a solid watch.