Help me pick my elk rifle

Teaman1

WKR
My two choices are a 325 wsm and a 300 weatherby.
325 wsm: 6.8 pounds scoped and unloaded so great to carry. I can consistently get 1” 100 yard groups, but I won’t shoot past 350 yards because I struggle with the light rifle at extended ranges.

300 weatherby weathermark: 4.5-14 leupold scope, guessing around 9 pounds. Would be willing to shoot to 500 yards with this rifle, but the con is weight for all day carrying.

I shoot 200 grain accubonds for each. Would you guys choose the slightly longer range rifle, or the one that’s easier to carry?

LightFoot

WKR
Practice more and take the lightweight.

If that's not an option, take the 300.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Whichever you shoot better. If I were choosing just based on what you have said, I’d probably take the lighter one.

TheViking

WKR
If you don't reload, buy a 300 Win Mag. I had a 325 WSM and it became very difficult and expensive to get ammo even before all this COVID crap started. That Bee will be expensive too.

A regular 300 Win Mag will do anything those other two will do. Ammo will be cheaper and more readily available.

If you reload, ignore my post LOL

OP
Teaman1

Teaman1

WKR
If you don't reload, buy a 300 Win Mag. I had a 325 WSM and it became very difficult and expensive to get ammo even before all this COVID crap started. That Bee will be expensive too.

A regular 300 Win Mag will do anything those other two will do. Ammo will be cheaper and more readily available.

If you reload, ignore my post LOL
I’m lucky to have 2 shops 40 miles away that both typically have 325 wsm.
I don’t have a win mag, but I do have a 300 wsm that I shoot very well (plain Jane savage 16) and is typically my backup rifle with 165 grain partitions for antelope to elk.

Just having an internal debate on weather to try the my weatherby or my 325.

I always wonder about the possible longer range shot when elk hunting, but I’ve only shot one elk in my life, a raghorn at roughly ten yards with that 300 wsm and 180 accubonds

I would encourage you to embrace the hunt and try to get as close as you can for the shot. I've always enjoyed that process much more than shooting longer range at animals, but that is just me.

Elkhntr08

WKR
I have a 300 in a Weathermark and a 325 in a Model 70. Both weigh in at around 8#. I can’t imagine a 7# .325!
Both are great elk rounds and will more than do the job if you do yours.
All that said, I’d probably go with the .325, you carry a rifle more than you shoot it when elk hunting.
If you can endure the practice time, it’s an awesome round. But so is the 300 Weatherby.

2ski

WKR
My answer is, before the last 10/15 years or so as optics have improved so much, I don't think many people looked to take shots past 250. But lots of elk were killed. In fact alot of people I know used to keep their scope on the 3 or 4 for an expected close in shot.

Take the lighter rifle and just plan on working to get sub 300 yard shots. I think you'll end up finding more shots like your first elk than 500 yard shots.

My brother has a 325wsm and loves it. It's his go to rifle. I'd go with that just out of familiarity(and the short action). He handloads so it shoots really well. I personally just picked up a 300 win mag, Bare rifle just a hair over 7 lbs with a 26" barrel. For whatever reason I have never been a Weatherby fan. I think they are fine, just not my cup of tea.

OP
Teaman1

Teaman1

WKR
I’m leaning towards the 325. I don’t even put a sling on it with it being so light, just nice to carry around.
I feel like I may have given the impression that I want to shoot longer ranges, and this is not the case. I only brought up range because I would be willing to shoot the weatherby a little farther, in the possible situation that I was only given a 4-500 yard shot.

MHWASH

WKR
If not backpacking in, or carrying a lot of weight with you, I’d go with the 300. I prefer a little more weight in my rifle, I personally shoot them better.

2ski

WKR
I’m leaning towards the 325. I don’t even put a sling on it with it being so light, just nice to carry around.
I feel like I may have given the impression that I want to shoot longer ranges, and this is not the case. I only brought up range because I would be willing to shoot the weatherby a little farther, in the possible situation that I was only given a 4-500 yard shot.
I took it to mean what you meant. Just having the ability to go longer. But I think you're overthinking it. Just go with the light gun.

My two choices are a 325 wsm and a 300 weatherby.
325 wsm: 6.8 pounds scoped and unloaded so great to carry. I can consistently get 1” 100 yard groups, but I won’t shoot past 350 yards because I struggle with the light rifle at extended ranges.

300 weatherby weathermark: 4.5-14 leupold scope, guessing around 9 pounds. Would be willing to shoot to 500 yards with this rifle, but the con is weight for all day carrying.

I shoot 200 grain accubonds for each. Would you guys choose the slightly longer range rifle, or the one that’s easier to carry?
9 lbs isn’t a terrible weight to carry in the mountains. But I would take whatever you shoot the best. The biggest success to hunting in the mountains is your physical ability. I see it with clients I guide all the time. Train harder so 9lbs feels like your 6.8 lb rifle.

ceejay33

FNG
I would take the one you have the most confidence in. Also, depending on where you are hunting, (what state, elevation, public, private, with a guide, etc) you might be able to find out what the expected shooting distance might be. Good luck and let us know what you decide and how it goes.