Help me pick my new 300 Win Mag!

Gvanwage

FNG
Thank you in advance for all the suggestions!

I’m currently in the market for a 300 Win mag. Main use for hunting deer but have an Aoudad hunt planed and would use for Elk, etc down the road. Looking for tradition bolt action setup, 26” barrel, 1:10 twist or less, synthetic stock, good value, and would love to stay under $700 (for just the rifle).

Currently looking at:
Remington 700 variants
Tikka T3X (love the gun and feel but don’t like that barrel is 24” with 1:11 twist)
Weatherby Vanguard
Browning X bolt stalker

Looking for some good suggestions/ favorites/ additional rifles/manufacturers that you like

elkguide

WKR
$700 is a tough one in my book. There are plenty out there that will shoot but I'd much rather have a great rifle, that fit me well and would really shoot.

I'd save and spend more and go with:
Cooper
Christensen Arms
Fierce

Bergara B14 Hunter or B14 Ridge( if you want a heavier barrel) or a Tikka can be had in that price range. My first vote would be Bergara but a close 2nd would be Tikka. You get a lot of rifle for your dollar with the Bergara's

If you really like the Tikka I wouldn't worry much about the 24" barrel. I just had a new barrel put on mine a few months back and went from a 26" down to a 24" and like it better in a lot of ways. best of luck of picking a new toy

Muleyslayer14

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you in advance for all the suggestions!

I’m currently in the market for a 300 Win mag. Main use for hunting deer but have an Aoudad hunt planed and would use for Elk, etc down the road. Looking for tradition bolt action setup, 26” barrel, 1:10 twist or less, synthetic stock, good value, and would love to stay under $700 (for just the rifle).

Currently looking at:
Remington 700 variants
Tikka T3X (love the gun and feel but don’t like that barrel is 24” with 1:11 twist)
Weatherby Vanguard
Browning X bolt stalker

Looking for some good suggestions/ favorites/ additional rifles/manufacturers that you like

What distances are you wanting to achieve with the rifle?

mmac

WKR
I think you can get a Weatherby RC for around there, I have the older sub MOA and that shoots very close to my Coopers. I would avoid the Browning because I have had a terrible shooting one and my brother did as well. Try and find a gunsmith willing to touch one let alone try and rebarrel etc. I would also look at the Kimbers, mine shoot really well and are very lightweight.

You could also add a Savage to the mix.

Muttly

WKR
Not a Rem 700 variant, but, price wise, a Winchester Ultimate Shadow in 300 Win Mag, should be in the ball park. Black synthetic/blued, might be able to track one down for 5-600 hundred, stainless, figure a bit more.
That would get you a 1-10 twist, 26" barrel, weigh a bit more than a Tikka, and I THINK, not sure, that you have a longer magazine with the Winchester as well. The 1-11 twist and short magazine being the two drawbacks to the Tikka, if you reload..

Last edited:

MinixJT

FNG
The 700 AWR looks good! Dont blame anyone for snagging it. Add a few more 100 and your close to a Model 70 ewss which is also excellent imo.

I have an xbolt in 300 and love it. I would also look at a Bergara, Tikka, or Howa. Hell lots of people even get MOA or better groups from Ruger Americans if you wanted to save some coin.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
A Winchester 70 EWSS would make a nice platform in that caliber, I’ve not owned a browning X bolt but know a few guys who have them and they like them, I’ve always thought they were a solid all around choice for a work horse hunting rifle, actually see lots of them were I live. My only 300wm is an older Ruger “magnum hunter” it’s a
Stainless barrel/action with a green hogue stock, I hate that stock but otherwise it’s a cool gun even though it dosent go out much.

If it were me looking for a new 300wm, I’d be looking at the Ruger alaska or a Winchester EWSS.

Kramer588

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Bergara B14 hunter in 6.5 creed and would highly reccomend a Bergara, ive also been looking at the 300 win mags and really like the Weatherby Vanguard First Light. Its a little more than 700 bucks but seems to be a good deal, coming threaded with a brake on it and a cerakoted barrel.

Tikka T3X superlight at Sportsmans Warehouse - $749 regular and $699 on sale quite often (like Memorial Day and such) 24 1/2" barrel (but who's splittin' hairs) $35 change out to an aircell pad and you're off to the races - My son shoots one, his first cousin shoots one, my son in law has one (but really likes his "LITE" 270 WSM) I don't know what you've heard or been told about Tikka's but the little that might be true would also be true of any other makers, $ or $$$ - As far as the 1:11 twist my son shoots 200 Accubonds that I load for him, very consistent accurate shooter with good velocities from my stiff but NOT hot loads - Stock is well designed and recoil is very manageable, all in a very well balanced and lightweight platform (and the bolt locks in full battery, they always have - I shoot several superlights myself but I am one of "those" who can't leave well enough alone - One WAS a 7mm mag, now a 338 Win Mag, another WAS an '06 AI that is now a 338/06 AI but I love both these rifles - I also very much like my Kimber HUNTER in 280 AI and it's a reliable shooter too (but sadly, no belted magnums in that model yet)
there's a treasure trove of rifles out there for the budget minded hunter/shooter

A Winchester 70 EWSS would make a nice platform in that caliber, I’ve not owned a browning X bolt but know a few guys who have them and they like them, I’ve always thought they were a solid all around choice for a work horse hunting rifle, actually see lots of them were I live. My only 300wm is an older Ruger “magnum hunter” it’s a
Stainless barrel/action with a green hogue stock, I hate that stock but otherwise it’s a cool gun even though it dosent go out much.

If it were me looking for a new 300wm, I’d be looking at the Ruger alaska or a Winchester EWSS.
I agree but those are closer to $1000 regular price - The Ruger is bullet proof and that model 70 extreme weather is a very nice rifle

smokinf15

WKR
Check out the Sako A7 big Game. It’s stainless/fluted, lightweight, and comes threaded with a brake and a bell and Carlson stock with full length bedding block. It’s pretty much the same fun as the tikka superlite at sportsmans with a hell of a lot better stock and a brake for the same price. I got mine at Eurooptic. It’s a tack driver. I had a Bergara b-14 Hunter in .300 that I sold for this gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check out the Sako A7 big Game. It’s stainless/fluted, lightweight, and comes threaded with a brake and a bell and Carlson stock with full length bedding block. It’s pretty much the same fun as the tikka superlite at sportsmans with a hell of a lot better stock and a brake for the same price. I got mine at Eurooptic. It’s a tack driver. I had a Bergara b-14 Hunter in .300 that I sold for this gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had an A7 for a bit and there isn't much negative I can say in general about it - It was NOT a superlight, nearly a lb heavier, mostly in the stock but then B & C stocks are bombproof - the one thing about that A7 I couldn't get my head around was the way the magazine releases, counter intuitive to me - I'm not saying you, but it's funny how much negative comes up about Tikka rifles, "plastic stock", "Plastic this and that" but what's interesting is how many fall in love with the rifles after using one and I KNOW there'll be some of the "I sold mine" chatter but really, for the cost of an Xbolt, Bergara, Finnlite, Kimber, Winchester, etc … details about what is less than good about a Tikka would be refreshing - and I'm "just saying"