Help me plan the rest of my hunting life.

WCB

WKR
IMO if you are planning out 25 years there is really no state I would count out. Maybe look at their draw structure and do some real research on them first. Maybe the points are cheap and there will be years where you know you aren't going to draw any other states and at least you can go hunting. Some states are like $10 for a point....why wouldn't you load up on them?

Also, if you truly want out west Mule Deer options and are willing to hunt with a bow no states are a waste for public land options really (maybe NE). I wouldn't plan my next 25 years around the guys I hunt with. Plan a few hunts but honestly with how fast the world is moving and hunting opportunities are changing....I'd be a bit selfish and fend for myself a bit. Plus states you rule out may have better late season options for archery that open up more opportunity.

I’ll look into huntin fool, thanks for the suggestion. And thanks for all the above posts 👍 Lotsa good info. Moving out west would kinda be a dream, but I’m married to my land in a sense. I just can’t see leaving the farm. Also, it would only help alleviate one state, though I guess I’d just hunt MT like crazy until I’m to old to go. The idea of seeing new places/states is so appealing to me.
Where do you live?

How much disposable income do you have? How much free time do you have?

Those factors have a large impact on your options. There is no substitute for time in an area. Living in a western State, preferably near 2 or three states is the easiest way to get to know lots of areas and options. I have lived in UT and CO and have easily hunted ID, WY, AZ as well many times. Easy enough to get deer/elk/pronghorn archery tags every year in at least 1 or two of those states in addition to the one you live in.

You only have 1 life to live, and at 43 less time than you think....
more $$ and time you could always buy your way into good hunts every year.

OP
P
I’m in Arkansas and usually have enough time for an early season hunt and then hunt during rut. This year were using family vacation to do a little scouting, subject to drawing LOL Then it’s on to do a little mountain camping with the fam. As far as disposable income goes, I don’t mind $1500 worth of tags a year and preference points in a few states. I heard Randy Newburg say that we run out of health before money and I guess I’m kind of taking that to heart. I can’t see myself going out and spending $8k on a guide though.

grfox92

WKR
In July I packed up my pregnant wife 2 kids, 2 dogs and a cat and move from the east coast to NW Wyoming. Mainly for the hunting opportunities.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

npm352

WKR
A couple ideas to start as a baseline: I'd get general deer points in UT. You can put in for other stuff as a bonus, but general deer there will get you in the woods in a couple years. Everything else in UT a crapshoot if you don't have any points yet. Time it right and you'll only have to buy the hunting license every other year. CO and WY limited deer points are nice too as you can draw decent areas with a few points and be able to usually plan when you draw with a reasonable chance you will draw.