Help me replace my Columbia wool coat

Almost 20 years ago, I moved the family to southern Illinois and one of the first purchases I made was a Columbia wool camo hunting coat. I knew I'd be out on the stand in teens and sometimes single digit weather, and I wanted a big wool coat I could layer under to stay warm. It worked, and it's been working for me for 20 years. I have shot countless deer and ducks and pigs while wearing that coat.

Now that I'm doing more hunting out west, I'm wondering what a lighter alternative is to that coat. The wool coat is warm, but it's heavy and not particularly good in the wind. I do like the fact that I can layer under it, and that it has a hood and high collar. There have been plenty of days when I huddled down inside that coat to conserve all the body heat I could, so I could stay on stand or at a glassing spot as long as possible.

What is out there that will do the same job (or maybe better?) for a lot less weight? And what's it going to cost me?

Thanks in advance!

I had a Columbia wool coat and sold it after 2 seasons just because it didn't block the wind.

My replacement for it is my Sitka Jetstream. It's not cheap but worth it if you can find it under $250. Gore Windstopper, pit zips, hood great pocket layout and still does great in light rain. I wear my wool layers underneath.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Anything with windstopper is a go. And layer with a good down mid. I suggest any brands, and watch for sales and deals, because they do get spendy. I also prefer t add a Merino layer as well. I too love my jet stream, but also love my Yukon kuiu.

• Banned
OP
Newtosavage
Yea, the outer layer is my last addition. I've already gone to merino base layers and down intermediate layers. Honestly, my down puffy vests are like gold to me now. I can't live without them and they weigh practically nothing and take up so little space in the pack.

toadmeister, do you find that Sitka jacket keeps you just as warm when it's cold and there is not any wind?

Yea, the outer layer is my last addition. I've already gone to merino base layers and down intermediate layers. Honestly, my down puffy vests are like gold to me now. I can't live without them and they weigh practically nothing and take up so little space in the pack.

toadmeister, do you find that Sitka jacket keeps you just as warm when it's cold and there is not any wind?

Fair question, but not an not apples to apples answer.

The Sitka Jetstream is a shell. When zipped up, the Sitka Jetstream is lightly insulated with fleece, so yeah you'd want to layer underneath in zero to no winds. But that Gore Windstopper keeps in a ton of heat under the windy conditions.

No wind, that Columbia wool jacket was a little bit warmer.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Warlord