Help me rescope and reload for Christensen Arms Summit Ti.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I watch a lot of these threads and am really impressed with the information that is shared between members and how the learning curve is shortened on these rifle builds and tune-ups. Compared to what a guy had to do 20 years ago to get help, we move at light speed.

Some of you know I jumped to a 270 WSM two seasons ago (and caused quite a stir Goodbye 7mm Rem. Mag, Hello 270 WSM).

I chose the Christensen Arms Summit Ti. CA is a Rokslide sponsor and generously supplied the gun (anyone with the coin and a desire for a super-light rifle should give this one a look.) As I've told Ryan, I plan to give this gun up when they pry it from my cold dead hands....

After shooting 7 mags for decades, I wasn't totally sure I'd be happy with the caliber switch, but 40+ gun packing days and two bucks later, I'm really happy that I did.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Less recoil, (I prefer non-braked guns), flat trajectory, with still plenty of power for big bucks. The only downside I've found so far is that the WSM feeds rougher, but well enough I'm staying with the caliber for now. I also decided I'd rather be back at a 24" barrel length vs. the CA's 26" but too late to make that change now.

I started with the Vortex Viper 3-9x42. I liked it and killed both bucks with it, one at around 450 and the other at about 250.

Vortex released their new Light Hunter scopes in their Razor line last year. Jared Bloomgren did a review and was pretty impressed, so I arranged to review one for my muzzleloader (The Best Vortex I've Tried ).

I was so impressed, I practically begged Mark Boardman of Vortex to let me try the 2.5-10X40 LH G4 BDC on the CA Summit Ti. He sent me one earlier this spring probably just to get me to shut up. BTW, I prefer hash marks over turrets: Hash Marks or Turrets?
attachment.php

attachment.php

Finally, if you read the link about my jump the 270 WSM, you'll see that I had to settle on a lower velocity than what some guys are saying the caliber is capable of (more on that below).

So... I'd like to get the gun rescoped, develop a faster load, and possibly run a different set of rings (lower) and a lighter sling. I'm currently running the Precision Reflex rings. I like them but had to go with the talls to get the scope to clear the bolt. Willing to try other brands.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Hoping some of you guys will offer some advice on this project. Here's my goals:

1) Develop a load that shoots as flat as possible. I'm currently using the Berger 130 Classic Hunters. I killed both bucks with them and am pleased, but am willing to try another brand. I prefer the 130-150 grain range. I'm currently at 3,150 fps with R19. Willing to buy up to two other powders. I do have some R22 on hand and was getting 100 fps faster but groups were bigger than what I wanted.

2) My load needs to shoot an inch or less at 100 yards

3) Max range I'll hunt at is about 600 yards, and the last mark in the LH Razor with the G4 reticle should easily get me there

4) Not add significant weight to the gun. The new scope is heavier by a few ounces but I'm open to trying different rings and sling to offset that. Gun was 7lbs 3ozs when scoped with the previous Vortex and is 6lbs, 6.6 ozs with the current rings. I don't need lighter (gun hard enough to steady) but don't want it much heavier either.

5) Be wrapped up by mid-July.

Anyone willing to help me get going on this?

Even if you can't help, if you want to follow the thread, be sure and subscribe at "Thread Tools" top of this post so you get a notification when thread is updated. I guarantee you'll learn something.

Last edited:
While I don't reload for the 270wsm, a customer is pushing 212 ELD-X out of a 26" 300WSM at 2875 with 4831SC. It's also my go to powder for my 280Ackley. Is very temp stable and is readily available at most places. I would also try RL26. I've seen some darn impressive numbers with it in various calibers from 243's to 300 Win mags. I think Alliant is onto something special with that powder.

If you want to send me a resized piece of brass I'd be happy to make you a COAL gauge for use with the hornady headspace gauge. It's a quality tool for load development.

My load development regardless of caliber goes like this and I can usually get the load dialed in with 2-3 short trips to the range.

First find out where your lands are using the hornady OAL gauge. I usually start the Berger's .030" off the lands for all initial testing. Let's say your lands measure 2.750" using the hornady gauge. We'll load everything at 2.720" to start out with.
Pick a charge weight in the mid range according to any reloading manual. Load 2 rounds per charge weight and go up in .5 grain increments until you hit pressure. Common signs of pressure are flattened primers, cratered firing pin strikes, ejector marks on case head, and stiff bolt lift or hard extraction. To do this properly you really need to be shooting over a chrono. I'll assume you have one. What you're looking for here is a charge weight that has consistent velocity. Often times you'll see velocity jump 20-30fps from one charge weight to the next, then all the sudden you'll have a full grain of powder range where velocity stays pretty consistent. That's what we're looking for. Keep in mind most calibers shoot best at higher pressures but not over pressured.
Once you find your appropriate charge weight. Now it's time to tune seating depth.
Load 3 rounds at .005, .010, .020, .030, .040 off the lands (commonly referred to as jump). I'll often load more at .060, .080, 100, .120" off the lands as well. Some bullets like a lot of jump.

The above steps will often net you a really accurate load. If you want to take it a step further, load in .2 grain increments above and below your charge weight and check speeds. Also load .005" above and below your final seating depth to see if you can't squeeze out even more accuracy.

I've also heard that switching primers can help shrink your velocity extreme spread but haven't verified it myself.

Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Well flip, looks like I can lock this thread!

Seriously, glad to have you on here Mike! You answered so fast that I don't even have my journal ready, but I'll take some notes on this and get some of this product coming.

I will send you the resized brass. So are you saying use a fire-formed shell, resize it, and send it?

Is the Hornady guage commonly available at gun shops or should I just order it? Midway? Brownells?

Well flip, looks like I can lock this thread!

Seriously, glad to have you on here Mike! You answered so fast that I don't even have my journal ready, but I'll take some notes on this and get some of this product coming.

I will send you the resized brass. So are you saying use a fire-formed shell, resize it, and send it?

Is the Hornady guage commonly available at gun shops or should I just order it? Midway? Brownells?

Here's an Amazon link for the hornady gauge
Hornady Lock N Load Overall Length Gauge (straight) Amazon.com : Hornady Lock N Load Overall Length Gauge (straight) : Gunsmithing Tools And Accessories : Sports & Outdoors

And yes it best to resize a fired case with a full length sizing die to where you bump the shoulder back .001-.005". I'll then drill and tap the case to fit the hornady tool.

Mike

mcr-85

WKR
I shot a bone stock Remington 700 sps in .270 WSM before I built my current short mag. I shot the Berger 140s. Berger recently released a 140 classic hunter with a BC at .528 you could try. They are less finicky with seating depth. If you shot the 140s or 150s you could look at H1000 powder. It might be a little on the slow side for those bullets but I've had good luck with it.

I am now shooting Retumbo through mine with the 170 Bergers.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

HOT ROD

WKR
My wife shoots a 270 wsm.. And I reload for it.. We use 140 vld and H4831 and a federal match 215 primer... Ten thousands of the lands... Getting a little over 3000 fps with this combo. We did try sum magpro... The velocity was really impressive.. The velocity was around 3200.. If my magneto speed wasn't deceive me. But the groups were not as good as H 4831... I want to get my hands of the new Berger classic hunters 140 grain...

I shot a bone stock Remington 700 sps in .270 WSM before I built my current short mag. I shot the Berger 140s. Berger recently released a 140 classic hunter with a BC at .528 you could try. They are less finicky with seating depth. If you shot the 140s or 150s you could look at H1000 powder. It might be a little on the slow side for those bullets but I've had good luck with it.

I am now shooting Retumbo through mine with the 170 Bergers.

Robby. You might consider the new Leupold VX-3i LRP FFP 4-14x50mm. This would be my go-to mid range priced scope. After starting to shoot long Range Precision matches I can't imagine life with out a ffp scope but that's my personal preference. They also have a great selection of reticles available.

378dc8e5ec1fecadac90eefe1e220d7a.png

Another option in sfp would be the Sig Whiskey 5. 3-15x52. Another great optic with a more traditional crosshair.

45865fded9e67393011b7a8a2f5405bd.png

Lastly make sure your using quality brass. I've never reloaded for a .270wsm so I won't give advise but Mikes load development advise is solid. I would add reading this article:

http://www.6mmbr.com/laddertest.html

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
This is great and just what I was hoping for

Mike, I'll send the fire-formed brass and my resizing die to you and get the gauge ordered

mcr-85, noted on the powders, I'll make a decision after a few more people chime in and I see what's available locally

HOT ROD, you reminded me about the 140 Classic Hunters, I'd forgot about those. I'll see if I can my hands on some

danmayland, I've already got the Vortex, so I'm going with that but thanks for the heads up. FFP would be nice but I'm pretty used to SFP as all the Vortex's I've shot have it. Justin Crossley will be testing the SIG Whiskey 5 coming up, FYI. I'll read the ladder testing article too. BTW, Brass on hand is Nosler, been fired about 2x each. OK?

Nosler brass is excellent and what I use primarily. Very good consistency. Sorry for the confusion; I thought you were looking for a new scope.

mcr-85

WKR
I usually anneal my brass after 2 firings. You should be fine though. I shoot Norma brass now. Keep us updated on the Nosler brass, I just picked up some for my 22-250 so I'm hoping it's good.

I usually anneal my brass after 2 firings. You should be fine though. I shoot Norma brass now. Keep us updated on the Nosler brass, I just picked up some for my 22-250 so I'm hoping it's good.

Nosler brass is the same as Norma brass. Nosler is made by Norma

Robby

You might think about trying the Hammer Hunter bullets out in the 117 or 126gr version. I think both should be able to push faster than the betters due to the bullet design which has less friction surface. They tell you to simply load them with increasing charges until you hit pressure then back off one increment and load them. The bullets were designed to be very forgiving on seating depth so they pretty much eliminate that portion of load development. RL 26 mentioned earlier is proving to be a pretty special powder in a wide range of cartridges. The owners of Hammer bullets live in Montana and are very open with sharing information and extremely helpful. I am not associated with Hammer but have seen enough to switch all of my loads to them as I run out of bullets for each Rifle. All copper bullets as well but that wasn't their goal when developing the bullets they just set out to develop the best performing bullet they could and that's where they ended.

dotman

WKR
I'll be testing RL26 (had great results in the 270win) mainly with the Berger 170's but I have 130's and 150's I can play with as well.

I also have both Norma and Winchester brass, while I fully expect to get more firings out of the Norma brass I've never had a bad experience with Winchester brass other then getting it.

Last edited:
OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I'll be testing RL26 (had great results in the 270win) mainly with the Berger 170's but I have 130's and 150's I can play with as well.

I also have both Norma and Winchester brass, while I fully expect to get more firings out of the Norma brass I've never had a bad experience with Winchester brass other then getting it.

Was waiting for you to chime in Tim. That's three votes for the RL26

Doverpack, I'll check into those Hammers

dotman

WKR
If you stick with Berger they will give their load data with about 15 different powders for each of their bullets.

7stw

WKR
Tally rings are what I'd try. Those or nightforce ultralights. Have both and have had good results with both. I don't reload of 270wsm but h4831sc works good in 300 win and wsm as well as my 7stw and 6creed. I loaded some 110 hornady for a friend's with rl 22 for coyotes sd was good. He finally bought a press I'll call him and see what he's currently using.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Tally rings are what I'd try. Those or nightforce ultralights. Have both and have had good results with both. I don't reload of 270wsm but h4831sc works good in 300 win and wsm as well as my 7stw and 6creed. I loaded some 110 hornady for a friend's with rl 22 for coyotes sd was good. He finally bought a press I'll call him and see what he's currently using.

Thanks, I'll see what Tally/Nightforce has. I like these Precision Reflex but would like a lower height which they have, but couldn't get bolt clearance. Hoping these you suggest will allow it.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
wildmeadows