Help me select my first Elk/Moose/Bear rifle.

Teaman1

WKR
Comparing a cartridge/bullet combination like the .300 Win Mag that was designed with killing game animals as its number one priority to a cartridge/bullet combo like a .223 that was designed solely for the purpose of wounding human beings is an exercise in folly and clearly the work of the inexperienced.

If you had ever done it, you’d know that a 100gr TTSX fired from a .25-‘06 would do just as well or better in an elk shoulder than your hypothetical 200gr bullet from a .300 Win Mag.

But, to be fair, if you haven’t done it, you couldn’t know. “Energy” is such an antiquated term and has pretty much nothing to do with today’s reality.
How could a 100 grain 25-06 outperform a 200 grain from a 300 win mag in an elk shoulder? Honest question as I’m in the group that hasn’t done that.
I’ll agree that energy is only a number after watching my only elk take 3600ish ft lbs from a 180 accubond at 10 yards, only to walk 10 yards and fall over (mess of those lungs though)

Teaman1

WKR
Also, 300 wsm and 325 wsm are good all arounders for bigger North American game. Most will steer you away from the 325, but I’m lucky enough to have two stores nearby that carry ammo for it

Spoonbill

WKR
Winchester doesn’t make a 223 but they make a 22-250. Ruger hawkeyes are similar to model 70s (crf and 3 position wing style safety) and they make one in 204 ruger. As others have said, I would get one of those for practice. It will also fill the gap between your 270 and 17 hmr.
270 is just fine for elk, I would get a practice rifle before you buy a bigger caliber.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
This is interesting. Thank you for all that replied. With all that has been said about my .270 being adequate for Elk and Moose. I have to ask...if that is the case, why are larger calibers so popular? Based on what I'm hearing the .270 will do everything short of stopping a Brown Bear in one shot.

I shot half a dozen moose with a 30-06 and it worked fine, shot all my elk with a 270. When I shot a moose a few years ago with a 375HH the results were spectacular, that’s all I use now for moose and bear.