Help me set myself up for success.

So, I just got myself a new Tikka T3x lite in .308 and was wondering what if any steps I should take to make sure that I am setting myself up for success. I still need to get a scope and mounting hardwere (I am open to suggestions). The only thing that I have done with it so far is run some patches down the barrel like the owners manual says, but is there anything else I should be doing? I have seen some people reccomend taking the stock off and cleaning everything, would that be a helpful thing to do? I have also heard that tikka barrels don't need to be broken in, have you guys found that to be true? I realize that I have alot of questions but I just want to make sure that I am not making any stupid mistakes or forgetting to do something important. Thanks.

Spoonbill

WKR
There are a lot of threads on this, but to sum them up. Sportsmatch rings and a swfa super sniper scope. Other scope options out there as well, depending on if you want to have turrets, budget, etc

If you take the action off the stock, retorque the action screws to manufacturer specs. If you don’t have a torque wrench, get one and use it for bases and rings too.

make sure your rifle and reticle are level (plumb).

set your eye relief for your most likely or favorite shooting position.

eldeuce

Lil-Rokslider
Use a 20 MOA, single piece base.
Buy the best scope you can afford.
Absolutely use a torque wrench on rings and bases

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

OP
Trout&Buck
I appreciate the feedback guys, I have noticed that there area TON of threads on scope recommendations so I will spend some more time looking at those. I saw some threads mention that the Tikka barrels are not fully free floated and checked mine w/ a sheet of paper and found that it is floated about 2/3 of the way, Would that be a something worth addressing and if it is how would I fix it? Does anyone else have any other advice on prepping/initial set up for a rifle?

Spoonbill

WKR
I appreciate the feedback guys, I have noticed that there area TON of threads on scope recommendations so I will spend some more time looking at those. I saw some threads mention that the Tikka barrels are not fully free floated and checked mine w/ a sheet of paper and found that it is floated about 2/3 of the way, Would that be a something worth addressing and if it is how would I fix it? Does anyone else have any other advice on prepping/initial set up for a rifle?
Mount a scope and shoot it before free floating it. If it shoots well, then you can save yourself some time. Also if you have a lemon, dremeling out the stock may void the warranty.

STAxel

FNG
I have a Tikka T3x lite too and I saw the same thing. After talking to a bunch of people, it's apparently part of the design of the factory Tikka stock, something to do use pressure points and rigidity. To add on what Spoonbill said, shoot it first, and if it group fine, leave it alone. There are mixed results on dremeling that portion.

One more thing you can do is set /adjust the trigger pull. It’s pretty simple with the tikka.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Budget for scope?
SWFA for anything under $1000. Its your choice over $1000, but some are more robust and reliable than others. Buy for reliability, turrets, reticle and glass in that order (glass will be good enough over $1000, and improves)

Easy button is a Nightforce SHV with exposed turret or Horus scope made by NF. It is an awesome scope. Bombproof and very good glass.

Call internet dealers, they will sell scopes below their required MAP pricing all day long. Cameraland is a Rokslide sponsor and @gr8fuldoug will hook you up.

Buy high quality precision matched rings and base.

Torque wrench, 100% of the time. A little blue loctite inside the rings and on fasteners if you want a little more insurance. I usually decrease torque by about 5% if wet.

You can pull the action, hit it with brake cleaner, then grease the bolt and action lugs to prevent galling. Use Rem oil lightly on the action. Keep the trigger free of debris and grease.

Don't stick anything but cartridges in the chamber and bullets in the bore except as needed sparingly for cleaning. More barrels are ruined from cleaning than shooting....

I rarely clean my gun between range sessions. I don't like it and it isn't necessary for hunting rifles and precision. I keep the chamber and throat clean of carbon and strip copper when accuracy degrades. I run a short rod on a drill with a nylon brush to clean the neck and throat with carbon cleaner. I run the brush and patches minimally through the barrel. I soak stuff in CLR all the time, but careful, it turns some finishes pink...

Always use a bore guide and clean from the chamber: nylon brushes, one piece rod, and proper jag and patches.
Don't use abrasive in the barrel.
Don't leave caustic copper cleaners in longer than necessary.
Don't overclean.
Clean carbon maybe every 100 to 200 rounds if you shoot a lot, or between range sessions if they are infrequent. Run a lightly oiled patch after cleaning.
Absolutely get the carbon out of the neck area and don't let the carbon ring form in front of the throat. Focus the nylon brush in the throat using the bore guide so you hit only nylon on the barrel.

Clean copper at 25 and 100 rounds down the tube. Don't clean copper until accuracy degrades after that.

You can plug you barrel and fill with CLR overnight and run patches in the morning and it will be a quick easy, and less destructive cleaning method.

Fatcamp

WKR
KIMG3431.JPG

Here is how it looks with Sportsmatch rings and a 6X SS.

The fellas covered it pretty well. I should add ammo and practice. Being as that is in short supply some snap caps and lots of dry fire from hunting positions will pay off down the road.

Do you have any ammo?

nwelsh

FNG
New to forum and really appreciate the knowledge base here. @herinaz great post.