Help me spend my Kifaru Gift Card!

MT_Fin

Lil-Rokslider
I am looking at different pack setups from Kifaru and would like some input from those of you who have used them. I won the awesome Rokslide Giveaway which included an $850 gift card to Kifaru, so my goal is to put that to good use and end up with a versatile "do all" system. I live in MT, the very large majority of my hunting days are day trips, but I would like the option for a couple of days too, and the ability to haul meat. Since I mostly day hunt, a smaller and sleeker pack is preferable.

I am looking at these two setups, but I am 100% open to other suggestions as well. So fire away! I like the Sherman pocket and the ability to use it for rifle carry out of the way. I was fairly sold on the 22 Mag with Sherman pocket to fit my needs until I saw more on the straightjacket, and now I am intrigued by that one.

22m.jpgSG.jpg

I appreciate everyone's help!
Fin

Last edited:

bsnedeker

WKR
Congrats! Have you looked at the Stryker XL? I think it is perfect for they type of hunting you are describing. It's personal preference of course, but in regards to the straightjacket I've tried a pack with wings before and I did not like it....I could never remember where I stashed stuff and ended up digging through the wings to find what I needed. I prefer a simpler setup. That said, lots of guys love that packs with wings.

The 22 mag is a great pack as well, but again, the Stryker XL has some advantages over it in my opinion. It's about the same capacity in the main bag, but it has the ability to easily throw camp/food/whatever in the cargo panel so if you want to go back for a few days it's really easy to do.

OP
MT_Fin

MT_Fin

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats! Have you looked at the Stryker XL? I think it is perfect for they type of hunting you are describing. It's personal preference of course, but in regards to the straightjacket I've tried a pack with wings before and I did not like it....I could never remember where I stashed stuff and ended up digging through the wings to find what I needed. I prefer a simpler setup. That said, lots of guys love that packs with wings.

The 22 mag is a great pack as well, but again, the Stryker XL has some advantages over it in my opinion. It's about the same capacity in the main bag, but it has the ability to easily throw camp/food/whatever in the cargo panel so if you want to go back for a few days it's really easy to do.
I think I did a cursory look at it, but I will go check it out now. Thanks!

OP
MT_Fin

MT_Fin

Lil-Rokslider

Stryker XL, some pockets, and a camp bag is my setup right now and I am very happy with it.

The more I look at the Stryker XL, the more I like it. Nice and trim for day use, and with pockets and a camp bag have the ability to do multi-day trips or adjust for different needs.

bsnedeker

WKR
One of the best things about Kifaru is they hold value really well. You could buy a bag, use it for a year, and sell it for pretty close to retail price, then you can try another bag.

I think you'll love the Stryker XL though.

Mitten32

WKR
That's awesome Fin.

I had the stryker and switched to the 22 mag. I like the 22 mag much more for the organizational top pocket, clam shell opening, larger bag, and better compatibility with the Sherman. The 22 mag has load shelf capability so I don't really feel like I missing out on that portion. I also like that the 22 mag sits up higher on the 24 or 26 inch frame which allows you strap things on the bottom very easily.

The sherman is a great piece. Hands down my favorite accessory that Kifaru offers. Extremely versatile and I doubt you will regret getting one.

If you're looking at the small belt pouches to place on the waist belt I would go with mediums. They fit about the same can hold more items if needed.

One accessory you might want to look at is the water bottle holder. I find that one pretty handy for a bugle tube holder or nalgene bottle.

Like bsnedeker said, whatever bag you choose you will be able to sell/trade it to go with another option if it ends up not fitting your needs.

suda0402

FNG
Congrats!! I use the 44mag with 26" frame, with a medium pouch and gen water bottle holder. Its a great set up.

ELKOHUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
After watching this forum and kifaru insider page on fb here is my two cents.
Kifaru owners change bags more than they change their underwear.
Buy the accessories, Sherman, gun barer, pockets, lid, in a color that compliments the bag and frame.
Don't get hung up on a bag because a new one will be out next month and everyone will want to sell a "like new, no blood stains" bag.
Spend it on a puffy, game bags, etc and buy a used bag later.
Kifaru is the equivalent of a new car. Why loose money off the lot when you can get a like new at a better price later.

bsnedeker

WKR
After watching this forum and kifaru insider page on fb here is my two cents.
Kifaru owners change bags more than they change their underwear.
Buy the accessories, Sherman, gun barer, pockets, lid, in a color that compliments the bag and frame.
Don't get hung up on a bag because a new one will be out next month and everyone will want to sell a "like new, no blood stains" bag.
Spend it on a puffy, game bags, etc and buy a used bag later.
Kifaru is the equivalent of a new car. Why loose money off the lot when you can get a like new at a better price later.
He's got a gift card dude...he isn't losing any money. Why would he not buy a new bag?

Id say to add a camp bag to the 2nd setup to get an extra couple days out of the Straightjacket (Id go with Stryker XL though). And add a medium or large belt pouch to the back and a bottle pocket. I prefer the 1st gen, but you cant really go wrong on that one.

Might take you some tweaking to get it right but the resale makes it easy to figure it out.

If youre leaning 22 mag, you might as well go 44 mag if you want to get 3-5 days out of it. I had both and kept the 44. Theres not a huge difference between them in day mode, and the 44 fits on the 24"/26" frame better IMO. Good luck, congrats on the win.

Last edited:
OP
MT_Fin

MT_Fin

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone for the help. I also spoke with Aron Snyder about it and ended up going with a Stryker XL, a guide lid, some and some pockets as well as a gunbearer. Ordered on Tuesday and it’s scheduled to be delivered on Monday. Crazy fast and excellent service. Excited to get it and check it out. Hope to have it bloodied and dirty in a couple months.

skierhs

WKR
As for a bag, on day hunts I used the Stryker XL. It has plenty of room for day trips and that includes carrying a 95mm with a RRS tripod(though the tripod gets strapped to the slot between the frame and main bag.) I would get a few if the smalle light weight pull outs. A medium and small patch as well.
How’s your insulation jackets? He lost park parka makes a great jacket, especially for end of the season and shoulder season.