Help me spend my money! Kimber vs Christensen

Hey y’all, couldn’t hunk of anyone better to help me pick my first bolt action.

I’ve decided to get into big game, and wanting something more than my AR. I hunt mostly public land in the Ozarks, so lots of up and down, thick brush, very close range. Currently I’d be targeting whitetail and black bear if I’m lucky, but I’d love to be a one rifle hunter (I know how that goes) for elk, pronghorn, backcountry mulies. Basically I started my search looking for an ultralight backpacking gun and to keep things short and sweet, I had narrowed it down to a kimber hunter pro in either 6.5 or 308. I think the combination of features and weight for under 1k is really hard to beat. This weekend i came across an opportunity to buy used CA Ridgeline in 308, for 1299, basically brand new condition. This seems like an amazing deal and has me second guessing the kimber. I originally had looked over the Ridgeline as the 2k msrp seemed steep, for 2k I figure there’s better options.

Anyone care to chime in? I’ve put more thought into his than I care to explain lol, although I’d love to have a discussion with someone regarding my choice.

The Christensen is a “nicer” rifle than the Kimber Hunter, IMO. I like metal trigger guards and the magazine on the Kimber doesn’t do anything for me. If the Kimber were a Montana, maybe a different story.

Personally, I like 700 clones because of the aftermarket support. Let’s me tweak things a little, if need be. Scope mounts will be easier to find for the Christensen, and will be a greater variety.

OP
B
As for glass, I was trying to decide between NXS 2.5-10x42, NX8 2.5-20x50 FFP, Swarovski z5 3.5-18, or Zeiss v6 3-18x50
I considered a razor LHT 3-15, but I’m not sure it’s in the same league as the others. On the flip side, I work at a large outdoor retailer and I can get the razor at next to nothing, vs 1k plus for the other options. I can get NF or zeiss at a discount, Swarovski I’d be paying full price.

OP
B
The Christensen is a “nicer” rifle than the Kimber Hunter, IMO. I like metal trigger guards and the magazine on the Kimber doesn’t do anything for me. If the Kimber were a Montana, maybe a different story.

Personally, I like 700 clones because of the aftermarket support. Let’s me tweak things a little, if need be. Scope mounts will be easier to find for the Christensen, and will be a greater variety.
One thing I kinda can’t stand about the Ridgeline is the lack of a locking bolt. Busting through brush, I’d hate to lose a round without noticing. I’ve considered a montana as the caliber options are more appealing as a one rifle hunter, but they seem to be next to impossible to find. I think my big draw to the kimber is for under $1000i geta gun that’s threaded, sub 6lbs, crf, and three position safety.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Neither. Since it’s mostly close range and thick brush I’d get a short barreled .308. Something with an action that allows for quick follow up shots.

I’d practice with open sights first and then see if you’d benefit from a scope.

I have a Kimber hunter in 6.5.

I can’t have more than two rounds in the mag otherwise I can barley rack the bolt (this cost me an antelope one time). It shoots ‘ok’ but certainly not a tack driver. The stainless barrel rusts up faster than you’d imagine and you have to let the barrel cool often when shooting from the bench.

It is light, easy to carry, I personally like the stock, it handles awesome and points well in real hunting situations.

Long story, I’d never own another one but this one has killed a number of critters and I won’t be getting rid of it even though it doesn’t see the field often anymore.

Christian had a run of very poor quality control, I don't know if they have managed to overcome that, nor if your used opportunity has issues. If you do get into western hunting, yes you will very likely have opportunities at some long range shots. But if you don't have the opportunity to practice long range shooting, I simply would not attempt them.

For the price, Tikka is extremely difficult to beat.

Have a friend with the kimber in 7mm-08 and another with one in .308 assessment was same all around except the 308 cycled normal.

The guy with the 7mm08 send his magazine to kimber and they sent a new one and it fixed the cycling problem

Just rambling about my experiences… I had a Christensen that was junk. Wouldn’t group after 3 shots. It now wears a 3b contour stainless barrel and is a tack driver. I’ve got a Montana in 6.5 creedmore and it’s a great shooting rig, but is really “whippy” -that is, it’s so light you have to take a lot of care when shooting it. I’ve thought of selling it, but figure I’ll give it to my daughter (small stature) when she gets older.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I would get the Kimber because you can chop the barrel short and have a great brush gun. Kimber has QC issues, Christensen apparently has them too. I have a Kimber Montana and a Christensen Ranger 22. So far I'm happy enough with both. You cannot cut a CF barrel though. The Christensen is a much nicer rifle than the Hunter. Even the Ranger 22 feels better than the Hunter to me (only handled a Hunter in the gun shop though). Not many aftermarket stock options for the Hunter (I think only NPI, which I have heard bad things about).

You can make the hunter lighter pretty easily. https://www.rokslide.com/forums/thr...creedmoor-let-the-project-begin.84790/page-11

Large magnification ranges (like the NX8) are not the greatest for brush, generally. The NXS is hard to find though. If not dialing, check out the S&B Klassik line.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Don’t be in a rush to make a bad decision.

Skip them both and go straight to a Tikka T3x in 6.5 CM with Sportsmatch rings and a SWFA 3-9 mil quad in mil/mil and be done with it.
^^^I don't own a Tikka, but this strikes me as sound advice. Good luck finding that scope though.

The Kimber Hunter Pro Havok feels and looks like a toy to me. I bought a 6.5 CM for my wife...it is a perfect rifle for a woman or child IMO.

I have had 2 ridgelines and 1 mesa. All were/are 1/4 moa with my handloads. The Christensen stock fits me perfectly, and with the trigger tech trigger, just feels right to me. The Kimber stock and trigger feel absolutely nothing like the Christensens. I also have coopers, sako, brownings......they are all fine and I can shoot them all, but none of them are alike in any way IMO as far as ergonomics/grip, etc. This is highly subjective...find which one feels right to you. Christensens feel like they were made for me.

Last edited:
Kimber and CA have had quality control issues. It seems like CA may be over the hump. Kimber customer service sucks taint. CA is generally very good. That said, why would someone let that Ridgeline go if it did what they wanted it to do?