Help me spend my money! Kimber vs Christensen

OP
B
Thanks for all who chimed in, lemme try and clarify some…. I’ve heard all about kimber and Christensen reputation, atleast as far as handguns go, at work we probably see more kimbers in for repair than anything other than SW. I’ve also had a friend purchase a Ridgeline in 300rum that needed sent back and rebarreled straight out of the box. For those suggesting tikka, I’ve considered it and I sing the tikka praises everyday, but for some reason it doesn’t quite grab my attention. The kickstarter for this new gun was a pack in mule deer hunt in Idaho this coming October (unfortunately had to back out do to conflicting circumstances) but my buddy picked up a T3x in 7mag, and he plans to add a proof barrel down the road. But like I told him, the tikka is like a Honda Accord, they just work, and who gets excited about a Honda Accord;)

In all seriousness though I probably should consider, but for whatever reason I’m drawn to something a little more sexy. I don’t really have a desire to shoot an animal past 400, but for shooting paper I’d like to be able to go for a 1000 just to say I can lol. Not exactly new to longer range, I have an ar I’ve taken out 800 before and shoot pretty confidently out to 500, I’ve just never had a bolt gun or been much into hunting anything bigger than a hog.

OP
B
The guy with the used Ridgeline is a regular of ours, said he simply has too many rifles and he was downsizing for more. According to him, he put 4 rounds through it and that was that.

As for glass, I’m definitely of the opinion of buying the best glass you can afford, and then seeing what’s left for a rifle. I’m really leaning NF as I love the bombproof reliability and what good is a scope if it can’t hold zero or track properly. Would a NXS 2-10 or nx8 2.5-20 be out of place on a sleek mountain rifle? This train of thought led me to look at swaro, but man do they feel dainty. I’d hate to pack out and slip on my gun, and then end up constantly questioning my zero the rest of the hunt. Maybe this is where zeiss comes in? V6 seems like a happy medium, and the eye box feels much more forgiving than the other options, although I’m not sure how I feel about a 3-18 power being second focal

Hey y’all, couldn’t hunk of anyone better to help me pick my first bolt action.

I’ve decided to get into big game, and wanting something more than my AR. I hunt mostly public land in the Ozarks, so lots of up and down, thick brush, very close range. Currently I’d be targeting whitetail and black bear if I’m lucky, but I’d love to be a one rifle hunter (I know how that goes) for elk, pronghorn, backcountry mulies. Basically I started my search looking for an ultralight backpacking gun and to keep things short and sweet, I had narrowed it down to a kimber hunter pro in either 6.5 or 308. I think the combination of features and weight for under 1k is really hard to beat. This weekend i came across an opportunity to buy used CA Ridgeline in 308, for 1299, basically brand new condition. This seems like an amazing deal and has me second guessing the kimber. I originally had looked over the Ridgeline as the 2k msrp seemed steep, for 2k I figure there’s better options.

Anyone care to chime in? I’ve put more thought into his than I care to explain lol, although I’d love to have a discussion with someone regarding my choice.
Snag the christensen and don’t think twice! I own several CA rifles, all are tack drivers.

The guy with the used Ridgeline is a regular of ours, said he simply has too many rifles and he was downsizing for more. According to him, he put 4 rounds through it and that was that.

As for glass, I’m definitely of the opinion of buying the best glass you can afford, and then seeing what’s left for a rifle. I’m really leaning NF as I love the bombproof reliability and what good is a scope if it can’t hold zero or track properly. Would a NXS 2-10 or nx8 2.5-20 be out of place on a sleek mountain rifle? This train of thought led me to look at swaro, but man do they feel dainty. I’d hate to pack out and slip on my gun, and then end up constantly questioning my zero the rest of the hunt. Maybe this is where zeiss comes in? V6 seems like a happy medium, and the eye box feels much more forgiving than the other options, although I’m not sure how I feel about a 3-18 power being second focal
I would grab a tenmile or credo from Euro optic. They have them on clearance for crazy cheap right now. I just put a tenmile 3-18x50 on a ridgeline FFT

OP
B
If I could have my cake and eat it too I’d love a Barrett fieldcraft in 7mag or 300wm but that seems to be like finding a unicorn, not to mention the going price seems to be around 2, which definitely eats into my optic fund. I’ve been researching and debating this for over a year now, and I really hadn’t been considering the Ridgeline until I could get one for 1300

Don’t be in a rush to make a bad decision.

Skip them both and go straight to a Tikka T3x in 6.5 CM with Sportsmatch rings and a SWFA 3-9 mil quad in mil/mil and be done with it.
Everybody acts like Tikka’s don’t have accuracy issues. They do. Thats why a lot of guys end up rebarreling them. They are new M700 with all the aftermarket support. The CA is a way better rifle than the Tikka, and even the sako imo. I know form started the whole tikka swfa 3-9 craze, but there are other better options out there.

If I could have my cake and eat it too I’d love a Barrett fieldcraft in 7mag or 300wm but that seems to be like finding a unicorn, not to mention the going price seems to be around 2, which definitely eats into my optic fund. I’ve been researching and debating this for over a year now, and I really hadn’t been considering the Ridgeline until I could get one for 1300
When rumors of a Fieldcraft in 280 AI were circling I decided to wait for it. Huge mistake on my part. I am super happy with what I eventually ended up with, but the 280AI fieldcraft would have been the ultimate mountain rifle for me.

WormSportsman

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like you have your mind set on those two. I have a Montana in 7mm-08 that I love and also have a FFT in 6.5creedmoor. Both shoot well for me and I won’t be getting rid of either of them. If I was only buying one it would be the Christensen so down the road I would have more aftermarket support if you decided to upgrade something on it. I checked out the Kimber Hunter Pro when they came out and seemed like a decent setup just not as nice as a Ridgeline. Good luck with your search and let us know what you decide.

kevin11mee

Lil-Rokslider
Depends where you live but I saw that Bass Pro has the Fierce Fury on sale for $1699. I think it's better than both unless you're married to the .308. If you plan on elk hunting, I'd go with something with a bit more reach than the .308 or 6.5. 7mag, 28 Nosler, .30-06, .300 win mag, etc. For a scope, I'd top it with a Zeiss Conquest V4 or a Leupold VX5

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Would a NXS 2-10 or nx8 2.5-20 be out of place on a sleek mountain rifle? This train of thought led me to look at swaro, but man do they feel dainty. I’d hate to pack out and slip on my gun, and then end up constantly questioning my zero the rest of the hunt. Maybe this is where zeiss comes in? V6 seems like a happy medium, and the eye box feels much more forgiving than the other options, although I’m not sure how I feel about a 3-18 power being second focal
Depends on who you talk to. I have mid weight scopes on light rifles. Reliability comes before ounce counting (and I'm a gram counter).

Mojave

WKR
As for glass, I was trying to decide between NXS 2.5-10x42, NX8 2.5-20x50 FFP, Swarovski z5 3.5-18, or Zeiss v6 3-18x50
I considered a razor LHT 3-15, but I’m not sure it’s in the same league as the others. On the flip side, I work at a large outdoor retailer and I can get the razor at next to nothing, vs 1k plus for the other options. I can get NF or zeiss at a discount, Swarovski I’d be paying full price.
The razor is your guy then.

Kyle Avey

WKR
I’ve owned CA’s, Kimbers, Coopers, and Tikkas.

All that’s in my safe now are tikkas with factory barrels. Tikkas are smooth, accurate, and reliable. I did not have the same experience with CA or Kimber.

OP
B
I would grab a tenmile or credo from Euro optic. They have them on clearance for crazy cheap right now. I just put a tenmile 3-18x50 on a ridgeline FFT
I was really curious about the new trijicon scopes, I wanna say something from the credo line. I didn’t really wanna buy without looking through one first but unfortunately they’re not sold in store anywhere near me. Any reports on the durability/tracking/zero hold? Being a trijicon I would expect it to be a solid scope, but is it NF solid?

Lawnboi

WKR
Thanks for all who chimed in, lemme try and clarify some…. I’ve heard all about kimber and Christensen reputation, atleast as far as handguns go, at work we probably see more kimbers in for repair than anything other than SW. I’ve also had a friend purchase a Ridgeline in 300rum that needed sent back and rebarreled straight out of the box. For those suggesting tikka, I’ve considered it and I sing the tikka praises everyday, but for some reason it doesn’t quite grab my attention. The kickstarter for this new gun was a pack in mule deer hunt in Idaho this coming October (unfortunately had to back out do to conflicting circumstances) but my buddy picked up a T3x in 7mag, and he plans to add a proof barrel down the road. But like I told him, the tikka is like a Honda Accord, they just work, and who gets excited about a Honda Accord;)

In all seriousness though I probably should consider, but for whatever reason I’m drawn to something a little more sexy. I don’t really have a desire to shoot an animal past 400, but for shooting paper I’d like to be able to go for a 1000 just to say I can lol. Not exactly new to longer range, I have an ar I’ve taken out 800 before and shoot pretty confidently out to 500, I’ve just never had a bolt gun or been much into hunting anything bigger than a hog.
If a tikka is a Honda Accord, a CA is a Kia with a sweet wrap.